Current Thoughts On Lllt For Diffuse Thinning?

Jls008

Reaction score
What are the current thoughts on LLLT? I am a diffuse thinner which I have read tends to respond better to LLLT. I have looked into the Capillus Laser Cap, but it is far outside of my price range. I saw an as for a laser cap that looks identical at www.hairrestorationlaboratories.com.

For $399.99, it seems worth it to try to thicken up my existing hair. Thoughts?

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LLT has been around for a long time..I used the Theradome for nearly two years and didnt notice much..Its worth a shot if you get one for a decent price. I would not say its got the potential of Rogain or Propecia.

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are the current thoughts on LLLT? I am a diffuse thinner which I have read tends to respond better to LLLT. I have looked into the Capillus Laser Cap, but it is far outside of my price range. I saw an as for a laser cap that looks identical at www.hairrestorationlaboratories.com.

For $399.99, it seems worth it to try to thicken up my existing hair. Thoughts?

I recently purchased $399.00 knockoff of the 272 diode Capillus Laser cap and so far I'm pretty pleased. As I'm to understand the method of action the LLLT helps vellus hairs become terminal hairs by stimulating the scalp and increasing blood flow. The entire development of laser caps was based on grocery store clerks noticing that after time the hair on the hand and forearm they used for scanning items was thicker and more coarse than the hair on the other hand and arm. Tons of research was done on the phenomenon and in the end it was determined that the low level red laser lights used in old bar code scanners was the reason behind this magical hair thickening so numerous companies involved in hair restoration jumped on board to develop differing types of laser combs, caps and hoods. I read a million reviews on every type of laser cap and comb and I was ready to shell out $3K for the Capillus Laser Cap when I found the HRL brand cap with the same technology for significantly less money. I've only been using it for 3 weeks so definitely not enough time to see any positive effects but it's really easy to use (you put it on your head for 30 minutes every other day while you watch tv) so there's literally no excuse to not use it. I also dab a single drop of minoxidil into my temple areas (my most noticeably thin areas) after using the cap. I'm not sure if it helps at all but my theory is that since the LLLT stimulates the scalp and increases blood flow more of the minoxidil is absorbed after using the cap. I would just wait and use minoxidil all over my scalp after using the cap but I work nights and use my cap at around 2:30 am (I'm currently wearing it while typing this) and my sleep schedule doesn't coincide with my minoxidil applications and laser cap usage. My only complaint about the HRL cap is that the battery pack doesn't hold a charge very long so I typically only get 2 uses before I have to recharge the battery. I'm sure I could find a replacement pack anywhere and my total cost would still be far less than $3K.

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LLLT may provide some benefits, but don't expect it to be as good as Minoxidil, Propecia and others. If you are highly sensitive to DHT, your hair loss will definitely win out because LLLT does nothing against DHT. If you are in your 20's with a somewhat significant amount of hair loss (NW3 or worse) you are most likely highly sensitive to DHT and LLLT will be less effective for you. If you plan to buy it, I would do some research on what is the best wavelength, amount of lasers, and amount of LED's most beneficial to hair growth. There is a lot of clinical data showing 655nm has a positive effect as well as using both LED and lasers but that is all up for debate. Maybe something with a much higher/lower wavelength is much more effective.

mikes23

Reaction score
I feel like laser therapy would work. but not from those helmets, but from an actually laser they use at doctors offices. I know a lot of cross fit people, athletes, and myself who have used laser therapy to help injuries and remove inflammation. I also saw them being used at the new UFC headquarters by their lead recovery doctor. I've always wondered if those lasers applied to your scalp would help hair grow, or at minimum maintain it. they are great for inflammation so I think it would be plausible.