Current situation after 8 years on finasteride - what now?

ReasonableMan

Reaction score
Hi all

Ive been lurking the forums for around a decade. I'm currently 30 years old and I first noticed hair loss around 19.

In my early 20's I jumped on finasteride which I've probably been taking for 7 or 8 years now. Imy hair thickened slightly and I maintained for much of that time but now starting to worry that the effects are waning. I also tried minoxidil for a year - in that year my hair became incredibly thick for a time, but then I developed contact dermatitis! (Tried various formulations including foam and none of versions).

I've attached an image of my crown that I don't believe was thinning at the start of treatment, but then I didn't really give it too much thought as my hairline was the thing that bothered me.

what do you guys think to my crown?

Any suggestions for how to tackle this now? Higher dose finasteride? dutasteride? Brand of minoxidil?

Would love to hear from anyone but especially long time sufferers who may have been in a similar situation. I really don't want to lose everything now.

One other thing to add - in the last 6 months or so I have moved to a largely vegan diet.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 335

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion your crown is not looking too bad. How much finasteride are you currently taking? Have you had any sides?

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Doesnt look bad at all. Yes there is some scalp showing but the hair around it looks thick which is more important imo.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

Ive been lurking the forums for around a decade. I'm currently 30 years old and I first noticed hair loss around 19.

In my early 20's I jumped on finasteride which I've probably been taking for 7 or 8 years now. Imy hair thickened slightly and I maintained for much of that time but now starting to worry that the effects are waning. I also tried minoxidil for a year - in that year my hair became incredibly thick for a time, but then I developed contact dermatitis! (Tried various formulations including foam and none of versions).

I've attached an image of my crown that I don't believe was thinning at the start of treatment, but then I didn't really give it too much thought as my hairline was the thing that bothered me.

what do you guys think to my crown?

Any suggestions for how to tackle this now? Higher dose finasteride? dutasteride? Brand of minoxidil?

Would love to hear from anyone but especially long time sufferers who may have been in a similar situation. I really don't want to lose everything now.

One other thing to add - in the last 6 months or so I have moved to a largely vegan diet.

Thanks.

what the hell man??? I fail to see any hair loss at all.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
thats nothing

ReasonableMan

Reaction score
Just returning to see if anyone has any more advice regarding what to do now? I'm feeling as though my hair IS getting worse. Should I switch to dutasteride? I'm worried to do so because of all the "dreaded shed" I've heard about when people switch. Would it be best to add dutasteride once a week? Or go all out?

we really need more options. I'm starting to feel desperate.

ReasonableMan

Reaction score
thats a normal whorl. if the hair surrounding it was thin then i'd be concerned but it appears to be thick.

Yeah it could be. I'm not convinced It has got worse just that my hair seems to be thinner all over. It might be in my head and I'm just worrying for no reason. The propecia 10 year study doesn't suggest that a good responders hair count will suddenly plummet.