Curcumin, androgen receptor antagonist.......study...

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
golfgolf said:
I just made my own minoxidil,with fina ,duta,curcumin,nettles roots and saw palmetto,i will apply it eveyrday and see if ti works,i am hopeless

any updates?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Have you at least maintained?

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone still using topical/oral curcumin?

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I add a tablespoon or two of turmeric to almost all my meals when I'm cooking. Haven't noticed anything different, however.

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this earlier and it wasn't taken too kindly, but heres my idea for a topical.

Capsaicin, Isoflavone

Harada et el proved that the administration of capsaicin and isoflavone significantly increased hair follicles more then capsaicin alone and significantly more then placebo in patiets with Androgenetic Alopecia (Androgenic Alopecia). Capsaicin activates vallinoid receptor 1, which in turn activates calcitonin gene-related peptide, which has shown to increase IGF-1. Tang et el (2003) were able to prove that the individuals using a DHT inhibitor and had significant regrowth all had higher levels of IGF-1 in the scalp opposed to the subjects using DHT inhibitor who did not show growth, or those which showed loss. It has been proven that IGF-1 plays a vital role in hair bulge stem cell proliferation and differentiation (Werger 2005, Su 1999). Rasberry Ketone contains properties that are quite similar to capsaicin and are one of the main ingredients in Virile Mane, a product with good reviews for hair regrowth.

So in combination capsaicin and isoflavone seem to be an excellent addition to any topical.

Curcmin, Apignen

It has been shown that Transforming Growth Factor Beta-1 (TGFB-1) plays a crucial role in catagen induction when in the presence of androgens (Huh, 2009, INUI 2002). Curcumin is a known inhibitor of TGFB-1. It is also shown that Apignen decreases levels of TGFB-1 and also increases human epidermal keratinocytes and human dermal papilla cells. It is an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and has anti-tumor properties.

In conclusion, these products seem also effective, but lack the studies of actually being used on Androgenetic Alopecia patients. (none that I could directly find yet)

The next few items obviously can't be used in custom topicals made via companies because they require a prescription and are used for different medical conditions. Use at own risk

Lithium and (2'Z,3'E)-6-bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO)

Already on this board they have spoke about Lithium and everything was on par with my research. Lithium and BIO are GSK-3 inhibitors which in turn inhibits the Wnt signal pathway (Yamauchi, 2009). The Wnt signalling pathway has been shown to be a important role in hair follicle proliferation and differentiation (Ouji 2008). Clearly more research needs to be done on this area as it is undetermined with wnt pathways are activated by inhibiting GSK-3.

I have no idea where one could retrieve the BIO, as I am not familiar with it at all.

TCI's

TCI's are topical calcineurins inhibitors. Bascially the NFAT-1 - calceineurin pathway plays a major role in keeping hairs in quiescenence and not dividing and proliferating into more hair cells. Calcerineurins inhibitors stop this pathway and activate growth of new hair cells potentially. One of the most common side effects of treatment with cyclosporin A is hypertrichosis. Horsley et el (2008) showed that calcineurin activity is associated with hair keratinocyte differentiation in vivo, affecting nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT1) activity in these cells. As stem cells become activated during hair growth, NFATc1 is downregulated, relieving CDK4 repression and activating proliferation. When calcineurin/NFATc1 signaling is suppressed, pharmacologically or other ways stem cells are activated prematurely resulting in massive follicular growth. (Gafter-Gvili 2003).

Again TCI's are used for completley different medical purposes. Do not attempt this at home. Just an idea of how to regrow some hair with topicals.

I also have a new theory on Heat Schock Proteins (HSPs) and hair regrowth. I will explain this in more detail later.

So overall I was wondering If this could possibly be made. Especially the first 4 or 5 substances with stability?

Gafter-Gvili A, Sredni B, Gal R, Gafter U, and Kalechman Y. Cyclosporin A-induced hair growth in mice is associated with inhibition of calcineurin-dependent activation of NFAT in follicular keratinocytes Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284: C1593-C1603, 2003;

Harada N, Okajima K, Arai M, Kurihara H, Nakagata N. Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone promotes hair growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-I production in mice and in humans with alopecia. Journal of Growth Hormone & IGF Research. Volume 17, Issue 5, October 2007, Pages 408-415

Horsley V., Aliprantis AO, Polak L, Glimcher L. and Fuchs E. NFATc1 balances quiescence and proliferation of skin stem cells Cell. 2008 January 25; 132(2): 299–310.

Huh S, Lee J, Jung E, Kim SC, Kang JI, Lee J, Kim YW, Sung YK, Kang HK, Park D.
A cell-based system for screening hair growth-promoting agents. Arch Dermatol Res. 2009 Mar 11.

Ouji Y, Yoshikawa M, Moriya K, Nishiofuku M, Matsuda R, Ishizaka S. Wnt-10b, uniquely among Wnts, promotes epithelial differentiation and shaft growth. Biochemical and Biophysical research communications. 2008 Mar 7;367(2):299-304

Tang L, Bernardo O, Bolduc C, Lui H, Madani S, and Shapiro J.The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. . 2003 Aug;49(2):229-33.

Weger N, and Schlake T. Igf-I signalling controls the hair growth cycle and the differentiation of hair shafts. The Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2005 Nov;125(5):873-82

Sorry about the lazy references, let me know if I forgot any.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
chore boy said:

been mixing a pinch of curcumin with my shampoo e/day for about 6 months.

I mix the curcumin with the shampoo minutes before going into the shower. turns the shampoo mix deep yellow/orange. does_not_ stain.

For its anti-inflamatory properties I also take a small spoon of curcumin/turmeric with meals almost daily...been doing this for about 3 years.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
patagonia said:
chore boy said:

I mix the curcumin with the shampoo minutes before going into the shower. turns the shampoo mix deep yellow/orange. does_not_ stain.

For its anti-inflamatory properties I also take a small spoon of curcumin/turmeric with meals almost daily...been doing this for about 3 years.

If you want to increase the absorption, heat the turmeric (i.e. add it into the food while cooking) and add oil and black pepper.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
JLL said:
patagonia said:
chore boy said:

If you want to increase the absorption, heat the turmeric (i.e. add it into the food while cooking) and add oil and black pepper.

yeah, thats what I do to try and increase absorption. When I don`t have it in cooked warm meals I just place a teaspoon of curcumin in the back of my toungue and pass it with a gulp of warm liquid or water. I do this after a meal where I have consumed some fat/olive oil and usually other spices like pepper and chillies.

I have about 2 small teaspoons a day but take few days off every now and then...

gps

Reaction score
I don't know the use of the following information, but
am posting it if somebody can understand and explain.

basically, I am from India and I know that Indian
women use turmeric topically (on the face etc) and wash it off with water. (Men never do such a thing)
I believe it is supposed to prevent facial
hair growth etc.

I am not sure what this means though, specifically
for male pattern baldness.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that turmeric powder contains about 3% curcumin, so per gram of turmeric you only get 30 mg of curcumin, that may not be enough to see effects seeing as how most curcumin supplements are in the 400-500 mg of curcumin per cap, you would need to consume 15 g of turmeric to get the same amount of curcumin. GNC sells a turmeric supplement that contains 475 mg of curcumin per capsule. Maybe you guys should try it out, I may get some today if I stop by GNC.

BTW here is the link :- http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133904

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
diffuse propecia said:
I remember reading that turmeric powder contains about 3% curcumin, so per gram of turmeric you only get 30 mg of curcumin, that may not be enough to see effects seeing as how most curcumin supplements are in the 400-500 mg of curcumin per cap, you would need to consume 15 g of turmeric to get the same amount of curcumin. GNC sells a turmeric supplement that contains 475 mg of curcumin per capsule. Maybe you guys should try it out, I may get some today if I stop by GNC.

BTW here is the link :- http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133904

The reason you have to take high dose of curcumin supplement is that it doesn't absorb well if taken by itself. Therefore, some supplements include bioperine and also have much lower dose of curcumin per capsule.

What I'd really like it to know is if curcumin absorbs well if it's added to the food while cooking it.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
This supp has bioperine and 500 mg of curcumin, does it sound like overkill?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/Doctor/cur.html

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
If the 3% figure is correct, 15 g of turmeric would give you the same amount of curcumin as the supplement. 15 g is only about a tablespoon. I usually put two tablespoons in my meals. So no, I don't think it's an overkill, but I don't see much reason to take it in supplement form, unless you dislike the taste. Turmeric is cheap.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
JLL said:
If the 3% figure is correct, 15 g of turmeric would give you the same amount of curcumin as the supplement. 15 g is only about a tablespoon. I usually put two tablespoons in my meals. So no, I don't think it's an overkill, but I don't see much reason to take it in supplement form, unless you dislike the taste. Turmeric is cheap.

There is no comparison.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
purecontrol said:
JLL said:

There is no comparison.

What do you mean?

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2009 Sep 1.

Novel Anti-Prostate Cancer Curcumin Analogues that Enhance Androgen Receptor Degradation Activity.
Shi Q, Shih CC, Lee KH.
AndroScience Corp.

The androgen receptor (AR) plays a crucial role in the physiological and pathological functions of androgen. As a transcription factor, the AR modulates androgen activity by regulating the transcription of target genes that are involved in numerous physiological functions and pathological disorders, such as acne vulgaris, androgenetic alopecia, benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), and prostate cancers. Although many natural and synthetic curcumin analogues have been reported to possess anticancer activity through a common cytotoxic property against proliferating tumor cells, none has been reported to inhibit cancer cell growth through a more specific mechanism or target in the cancer cells. Recently, new curcumin analogues were studied extensively regarding their synthesis, structure-activity (i.e., anticancer activity) relationships, and mechanism of action. These compounds, such as ASC-J9 and its analogues (3 and 4), have now been shown to inhibit prostate cancer proliferation through a novel mechanism of enhancing AR degradation.

PMID: 19663790

5rugrats9

Reaction score
Hi, new poster here in the forums. To respond to goata007 and others who are trying turmeric, here's an idea: at bedtime, heat turmeric/ curcumin with full-cream milk at boiling temperature. Then let it cool a bit, and drink the milk.

This is how it is traditionally taken in South Asia to cure internal inflammation or wound. But the milk fats probably help dissolve curcumin and this way the absorption may be more. Also second the black pepper approach.

Also, in these parts, turmeric is certainly not considered a women-only topical ingredient. Women use it much more than men, simply because women are into skin-care much more. However, as far as i know, here topical application of turmeric is thought to 'soften' and tone down body hair. But then, scalp is a different ballgame. Personally, I feel curcumin might be better taken orally.