Creatine (results of my look at many studies)

CCS

Reaction score
Many studies stupidly only look at gains in "lean mass", which of course includes water weight. The studies are probably paid for by the creatine industry. I could not find any that actually looked at protein gains. (duh) All studies were short term, with the obvious aim at measuring the initial water weight as "lean mass increase".

At very high doses of creatine, which can increase muscular creatine levels 20%, burst muscle strength and endurance is increased about 10%. This makes you able to workout harder. (though harder is not always better for some people). None of them made the obvious comparison of strength gains above those gained after the loading phase, vs placebo.

Since since there is invitro evidence that creatine increases the chemicals that repair muscles, loading with it may increase gains. However, I think a 20% increase in creatine would at best result in a 20% increase in muscle repair.

There been studies showing that people taking creatine did not lose any fat, whereas the placebo group did, while taking creatine. Many studies actually. I don't know why that would be, just from a 20% difference in a chemical that is already in the body. I don't know how creatine can increase metabolism by 50-100 calories, increase muscle gains, and reduce fat loss, on the same exact calorie intake. I smell BS.

I did read a lifeextension article saying creatine preserves muscle in older adults. I looked at the article again, and it did not say how the experiments were designed, or the results. Though online is just a summary. I'll have to find the magazine article. but the main emphasis is older people who don't make as much creatine do benefit from supplementation, mostly for fixing other illnesses.

I have some creatine I bought before. I'll just take 2g per day. just so I have a reasonable amount in my diet. I think it is worthless above that, and may reduce fat loss. maybe I'll just do 1g per day. Not for muscles, but just in case it helps with other stuff.