Creatine + finasteride?

skip2mylou

Reaction score
So I've been taking creatine and trying to work out more. It's really been helping,my muscle mass is improving, and I'm gaining healthy weight.

Although I have a receded hairline and thinking about trying finasteride. But after lurking the forums I've been hesitating.

Creatine supposedly increases DHT while fun reduces it. So Creatine = more hair loss?

I've been on creatine for nearly 2 months and I have not experienced any accelerated hairloss. TBH I'm actually losing less, believe it or not. I used to run my fingers through my hair , only to end up with a bunch of strands. Now, nothing, at most a hair or two.

I've made considerable changes to my diet as well so that might play a factor. but anyways. Has anyone taken creatine and finasteride simultaneously successfully?

I actually had a blood test done for DHt, Test, and Free test, and they all came back normal? So i'm not sure, my body is weird and doesn't really follow up with everything that has been told here on the forums.

can anyone give any advice on this matter? I'm sure theres some people here that are lifting and taking creatine. Help is greatly appreciated.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
if you don't find help here you may find some on the misc. of the bodybuilding forum

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know, i just dont think its worth the risk personally. But if you really want to take it, do a blood test before you start and after and compare DHT. Since you already started consider a 1 month break.

If you do this share the results :)

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
The creatine DHT myth has spread like wildfire on the internet from one stupid study on rugby players who were most probably on steroids.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
The creatine DHT myth has spread like wildfire on the internet from one stupid study on rugby players who were most probably on steroids.

A lot of people have reported hair loss on it. Do you think it all in their heads?

skip2mylou

Reaction score
Thx for the input, ill check the other forums section and I will bring in some before and after results!

I think I'll cut off creatine for a month or so while on finasteride just to be safe. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have reported hair loss on it. Do you think it all in their heads?

I don't think of anything. Reporting hair sheds from creatine has little scientific credibility. A lot of people also don't report hair shedding from creatine. What do you think about that?

maher

Banned
Reaction score
I remember there was a sudy showing creatine raising DHT from 40-60% after only a week of use. So.. if finasteride lowers DHT by 65%.. you're good. lol.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think of anything. Reporting hair sheds from creatine has little scientific credibility. A lot of people also don't report hair shedding from creatine. What do you think about that?

Well a lot of people dont report hair shedding on steroids and we know what would happen if any of us would use them.

I dont really know what to think of it, but better safe than sorry in my opinion :)

skip2mylou

Reaction score
Well I've been using creatine none stop and I haven't experienced ANY shedding. I got my bottle of finasteride about a week ago, but I'm not going to start it for another week.

I'm going to try finasteride without creatine for a couple months and see how it goes. Then I'll jump back on creatine + finasteride to see if there's any interaction.

But I honestly don't see creatine increasing DHT more than what finasteride can reduce. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'll post back here again soon.

Volcomander

Reaction score
I don't know if it is me or other issues but it seems i have experienced shedding on the back top of my heading around the same time I started taking creatine. Could be something else, still investigating.

Anyone else?

doublebatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I've been training and taking creatine on and off for ten years. I haven't noticed any change with my hair coinciding with creatine. It did however cause me breathlessness and chest pains, although I was probably at fault for not drinking enough.

Worked great for gains mind

plummertowalker

Reaction score
I had to stop taking Creatine because it was increasing my hairloss by a substantial amount
After about a month on it my scalp started itching constantly. I noticed my hair was falling out in large clumps; losing much more than before

I was on Finasteride this whole time also. Had been on finasteride for a year so I know it was not that.

If it does not increase your hairloss then that is great and should use it.
I just know from personal experience as well as talking with others it can cause a lot more shedding for some people

Volcomander

Reaction score
I had to stop taking Creatine because it was increasing my hairloss by a substantial amount
After about a month on it my scalp started itching constantly. I noticed my hair was falling out in large clumps; losing much more than before

I was on Finasteride this whole time also. Had been on finasteride for a year so I know it was not that.

If it does not increase your hairloss then that is great and should use it.
I just know from personal experience as well as talking with others it can cause a lot more shedding for some people

I believe I was having the same issue as you. I wouldn't say I lost hair in large clumps. But I did notice more loss week by week on the top and back.

Stinks because it was helping with my work outs greatly.