Creatine cycling

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking creatine powdered form for the past 6 weeks, 2 teaspoons on training days (1 before & 1 after training), and 1 teaspoon on rest days. I've read it's best to take a break from it after a few weeks. What would you guys advise doing. Should I continue taking it until I reach the 8 week mark or stop now after 6 weeks? How many weeks would a normal break be? Thanks

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know too. i recently started creatine about two weeks ago. I do 3/4 teaspoon on off days and a heaping teaspoon on workout days. I know I should cycle off of it to make sure my body doesn't stop producing natural creatine, but how long should the cycles last? does it matter that i'm not loading?

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
There's no solid evidence that you should stop taking creatine at all -- same with the 'loading phase'.

In theory, taking a break every now and again will keep your body guessing. I'd say 12 weeks, then a 4 week break is fine.

Maybe a longer cycle if you skip the loading phase. It takes up to 30 days for creatine to reach optimum levels in your body, so you should treat the first 4 weeks as a warm-up.

The jury is still out on whether the loading phase is overkill. It certainly speeds up the introduction of creatine into your body, but not by a huge amount. Dehydration has also been problem with loading phases, so if you do it, drink a LOT of water.