Creatine and Hairloss

psych721027

Reaction score
Nice post Ryan. I gave the layman's version. Yours was far more in depth than mine with a few good points. I've always known that most suppliment companies are, for lack of better words, unscrupulous ****bags. Anyway, I haven't done any research on Leucine, but the last studies I saw on Glutamine we're pretty clear on the growth hormone increases from it's supplimentation. I may have to look into Leucine and do a comparison as to which is better.

Anyway, that info on the !@#$ they put in creatine would definately be why guys would be losing their hair using some creatine products.

Goingat20

Reaction score
RyanR said:
By the way Psych, you should look into supplementing the amino acid LEUCINE rather than Glutamine. It is the amino acid directly responsible for signaling increased protein synthesis. Glutamine has very poor absorbtion and although it looks good on paper, it has not be shown to have any impact on muscle size, strength, or endurance. Leucine is the way to go. 8-10 grams post workout added to a good whey protein isolate mixed with high glycemic index carbs to promote an increased insulin spike and uptake. :)

Awesome info! Ive been taking glutamine for a while now post workput and before bed, i hear so much about it but i really dont see much results. I will get my hands on some leucine... Is there a particular brand of protein, creatine and leucine which you recommend? Also in recent blood work my ATP levels have been high could this be as a result of using creatine (no-explode)?
Thanks

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ryan,what do you think of Maximuscle Cyclone? Its supposedly the top selling supplement, its a protien powder with creatine and glutemine.

aussie_dude

Reaction score
when i visited my derm he said creatine can affect hair loss. My hair was fine untill i started playing representative footy. During that i was on protien and creatine supplements. It worked great for me i put on 12kg in 3 months and really helped me with footy. But i noticed my hair thinning really bad and then it started receding and now im a NW2 at 17. I continue to take these supplements because footy is more important to me than my hair, but i am 90% sure that creatine accelerated my hair loss which was going to happen someday anyway as my dad is like a NW3-4 at 37..... I reckon a skinny person with hair is less attractive than a hugh person with no hair... i noticed all the bald guys at the gym are the massive ones and there the ones pulling all the sheilas

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of insecure baldies build themselves up to try and compensate with women for having no hair. :p

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
s.a.f said:
This question has been asked many times before on this forum, do a search for it! IMO using creatine and or other supplements like protein powder will not effect your hair.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the amount of cholesterol in those supplements.

Afterall, Cholesterol is the hormone that acts as a precursor to all sex hormones including testosterone. High protein is nice, but high cholesterol merely feeds the fires of male pattern baldness...whether you're on a 5AR inhibitor or not.

wHICH ONES? The protein or creatine? So all these yrs I am taking whey and met rx, I am actually contributing to high cholesterol levels?

Please elaborate Doctor.

Thanks

aussie_dude

Reaction score
mate as long as your active and participate in regular sport. You dont need to worry about cholestrol at all.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What proteins should I take prior to work out? I am going to use AAKG stacked with ornithine and glutamine for an increase in GH release. But I am wondering if there is any other particular proteins I should load up on before working out, or will just whey protein be best?

Goingat20

Reaction score
whey will do, take it 40 minutes before workout...

aussie_dude

Reaction score
actually take 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after... The main part is taking it after because thats when your muscles look for protien supps. if you take creatine aswell, take that before

and on non training days take morning and night with breakie and then before bed

Unless you just started then you should be taking it 4 times a day for 2 weeks for loading. Another thing never take the protien shake in place of a meal. You would just be wasting your money

This website has some great stuff like protien calculators, supps stacks etc
http://www.bodyscience.com.au/

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was taking Creatine for a while. After experiencing a bout with shedding I researched the effect of Creatine on hair loss a found some info that said it's possible.

After this I quit taking Creatine and my shedding seemed to lessen.

So in my case I'm not so sure.

Call it a fluke I suppose, but I'm SO scared to use Creatine again.

Here is a link to a site that I had read during that time:
http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/expe ... .html#Hair

aussie_dude

Reaction score
yea creatine can cause hair loss.. some say otherwise but from my experience creatine certainly receded my hasir line further.. i continue to take it but because id rather be buff and bald than have hair and be skinny. if i didnt get drug tested so often in sport id probally take steriods aswell

oni

Reaction score
Why do you need creatine to be buff?

Have you tried things like ice baths after working out?

aussie_dude

Reaction score
mate having an ice bath has nothing to do with building muscle. Its about recovery so you dont feel sore the next day.

The amount of sport i do i need creatine anyway. Gives me more energy and i recover quicker

oni

Reaction score
Its about recovery so you dont feel sore the next day.

So you are saying it helps you to recover?

Gives me more energy and i recover quicker

And creatine helps you to recover?

So if you have an ice bath and you don't feel sore the next day! this allows you to train more and build more muscle, so aussie_dude why does nearly every highly physical olympic athlete use ice baths and nearly all high class football or rugby teams! because it aids training, all types, including strength training!

If you cannot train the next day you cannot build more muscle Dude!

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oni said:
Its about recovery so you dont feel sore the next day.

So you are saying it helps you to recover?

[quote:feca2]Gives me more energy and i recover quicker

And creatine helps you to recover?

So if you have an ice bath and you don't feel sore the next day! this allows you to train more and build more muscle, so aussie_dude why does nearly every highly physical olympic athlete use ice baths and nearly all high class football or rugby teams! because it aids training, all types, including strength training!

If you cannot train the next day you cannot build more muscle Dude![/quote:feca2]Creatine increases ATP in the muscle. Allowing you to build more and recover quicker. Nothing an ice bath can mimic.

oni

Reaction score
So an ice bath does not help you recover quicker? :roll:

Creatine is both made by the body (from amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine) and gained from the diet. It occurs naturally in meats and fish.

If you have a good diet geared towards the type of sport you are doing you should not need Creatine.

You do know most of the Creatine you take comes out in your piss! 2/3rds

Where as 1 pound of beef contains about 2g and your body can use pretty much all of it!

I am sorry but you must have a low creatine content in your muscles in the first place, try getting your diet right then start adding supplements!

Creatine does have side effects a significant increase in muscle swelling due to the storage of more water around the muscles - this has the potential to increase the chances of injury, especially between muscle and tendon connections.

I don't think that is a good one for people that play football do you?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Nearly all professional athletes take it. I think that says something. Aussiedude is talking about Football not soccer.

oni

Reaction score
Nearly all professional athletes take it.

Do you have some sort of scientific paper on this s.a.f? :uglylol:

Nearly all professional athletes have a dietitian! :uglylol:

Australian football players run about to? don't they? for extended amounts of time?

The only difference is the upper body is used a bit more.