Creatine and hair loss

clion1995

Reaction score
I am currently 19 and used creatine for two years. I didn't know this but creatine apparently raises DHT levels by about 60% while you are on it. After you get off the levels return to baseline. What I understand from this is that any hair you lost while on creatine can not be replaced unless you use treatments, but if you weren't meant to go bald by the time you are 40 then you will retain the hair you have til then. Do you guys think thinning will continue or stop as log as your DHT levels fall back to where they were? It scientifically makes sense because if your hair is prone to a specific DHT level and a rise in it makes it thin, when it returns to baseline thinning should stop. Any input would be great

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
anything could happen

not sure if creatine raising dht is true. Redstar says it was a study done on athletes and some may have been taking steroids which skews the data

clion1995

Reaction score
But if high DHT levels caused thinning and your levels returned to baseline, thinning should stop, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually just researched the situation regarding the rugby players. The ones on the placebo and not the creatine did not have raised DHT levels above their average baseline. It is posted on a government website, so the chances of it being some b.s. Is very low. What are the chances that creatine doesn't affect male pattern baldness if the ones on creatine had an increase in DHT and the ones on the placebo did not have increased DHT?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
But if high DHT levels caused thinning and your levels returned to baseline, thinning should stop, correct?

either could happen

diablodh

Banned
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Actually just researched the situation regarding the rugby players. The ones on the placebo and not the creatine did not have raised DHT levels above their average baseline. It is posted on a government website, so the chances of it being some b.s. Is very low. What are the chances that creatine doesn't affect male pattern baldness if the ones on creatine had an increase in DHT and the ones on the placebo did not have increased DHT?

Not necessary to stop or at least not immediately as DHT is hormone that controls hair cycles putting follicles in telogen phase that can last 3-6 months and also to shrink in diameter.

clion1995

Reaction score
Basically what I'm asking is that since I'm not most likely not genetically supposed to go bald until I'm around 40 based on all makes from both sides (even great grandfathers-have pics) do you think stopping creatine months ago should have stopped my thinning? The chances of me going bald at 19 based on genetics is most likely very low(knock on wood)-probably less than 5%.

diablodh

Banned
Reaction score
Basically what I'm asking is that since I'm not most likely not genetically supposed to go bald until I'm around 40 based on all makes from both sides (even great grandfathers-have pics) do you think stopping creatine months ago should have stopped my thinning? The chances of me going bald at 19 based on genetics is most likely very low(knock on wood)-probably less than 5%.

You are asking for reassurance however there is no certain answer as it is not clear how much damage DHT has already done and if your follicle sensitivity to DHT has increased. There is a test that can be done in the LAB with biopsy of the scalp to determine PH sensitivity check on internet there was a study on the topic.

clion1995

Reaction score
I have had steady maintaining since I've been off and haven't seen much progression and I recently learned about male pattern baldness in my genetics class and highly doubt that based upon my age that the sensitivity to DHT has raised-that is merely due to age and basically no other factors.

- - - Updated - - -

Nor has it been proven that creatine increases sensitivity-it just increases the amount of DHT.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19741313/?i=2&from=/20445368/related

http://www.beIgraviacentre.com/blog/is-creatine-causing-my-hair-loss-and-will-it-grow-back/

diablodh

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't shed anymore then probably there is no increase in sensitivity and you don't have to wary about it. However pay attention if you notice more hairs falling.

hmm

Established Member
Reaction score
I doubt creatine will really do that much, I took it daily for a long time during my golden years of finasteride without issue. I stopped taking it because honestly it's a waste of money, it just makes you retain water like a women on her period and while think you look bigger you are just bloated and soft. Really focusing on my diet and eating more has helped my gains at the gym much more than creatine ever did.

clion1995

Reaction score
"After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01)."

Clearly the finasteride was just overriding any extra DHT the creatine was producing. This is on a government website it's not stating b.s. You can't tell me high levels of DHT-compared to what you should be at if you weren't aggravating it- doesn't affect male pattern baldness.