Covering a larger area with minoxidil- better to use 2ml of 2%?

Nesrednug

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything exactly matching this in a forum search, so forgive me if this has been asked already..

I am using 5% minoxidil right now, but since I apply it to pretty much the whole top of my head (it's all thinning pretty evenly) it seems like I'm not covering everything completely. I've been considering using 2% and just using twice as much to cover the larger area, which will give me theoretically almost the same total minoxidil as the 5% would (barring differences in absorption due to differences in PPG/alcohol levels in 2% vs 5%).

To cover a larger area, is it better (or even necessary) to use 2ml of 2% minoxidil instead of just 1 ml of 5% as directed? I know they say you don't have to be exact with it but is it possible to spread it too thin?

Anyone doing this? If it's not necessary I don't really want to do it and risk an increase in irritation from all the extra PPG/alcohol. Plus the increased cost..

Thanks in advance..

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you feel like you need more, use 1.25mL, just be very tedious in your applications. I use 1mL throughout my scalp.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
are you using the spray or dropper???

1ml should be able to cover a pretty big area...

Nesrednug

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses..

I am using the dropper. I just buzzed my hair shorter and it's a lot easier now to get 1ml to cover the whole top. Probably was getting too much in my hair before, it didn't seem like 1ml was covering it all, now it's running off the back of my head.. lol.. so I guess it's moot now..

But If I needed more coverage I just didn't want to do any more than 1ml of the 5%, to avoid sides (I've gotten a little flushed feeling from putting too much on of the 5% in the past, or on a wet head). I figured 2ml of the 2% would effectively give me 4%, so I could use more to cover a bigger area without getting a bigger dose than the 5%.