Couple Of Hair Replacement Questions From A New User

manyhorse88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So since this is my first post here i'll do my best to keep it brief. I have a couple questions that I was wondering if any of you kind folk had the answer to/experience with.

First - I'm in my 20s and have alopecia, not the full blown kind where I have no hair at all, but enough to make my head look incredibly patchy and like The Hound from game of thrones. So about 5 years ago I started using hair replacement systems. Love em for the most part. I learned I like it better when there were temples on it too so I currently have what is considered a 3/4 system, which I like a lot, but lately I've been wondering about a full cap system. Does anybody here have one, and if so, do you like it?

Secondly - I've been going to one spot in Los Angeles for years but I do feel lately like i'm being overcharged for the quality of the systems + service and also they are really not great at cutting in the hair. I always end up going to Koreatown to a hair stylist I trust and she fixes it. And the more I explore these forums, I'm seeing people with what look like great systems for far less than what i'm paying... so on that note - does anybody have recommendations for a hair system salon type place in LA?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Manyhorse

I don't wear a full cap, but I have talked to a few guys who do. I think you have done the right thing by using as much of your natural hair as you can for as long as you can, but if the time comes when it is no longer producing a decent result, then a full cap can still provide a decent solution. I think there are 2 negative issues with full caps. First, there are some parts of a natural head of hair which are difficult to replicate with a prosthetic; particularly the sideburns and temple points (because the hair is so fine and sharply angled that the base material would show through) and the nape of the neck (because it is continually stretching and changing shape, so it is hard to get adhesives to work comfortably). Even if you replace everything else with a hair system, it can be worth retaining those parts of your natural hair if you can. Secondly, (and linked to the nape issue) it is hard to get a full cap to a point where it can't be felt by someone who touches your hair. With a standard hair system you can get a pretty undetectable feel if you are careful, but not with a full cap.

Hopefully some actual full cap wearers can chip in with first-hand experience.

I will PM you about places in LA.

Noah

manyhorse88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Manyhorse

I don't wear a full cap, but I have talked to a few guys who do. I think you have done the right thing by using as much of your natural hair as you can for as long as you can, but if the time comes when it is no longer producing a decent result, then a full cap can still provide a decent solution. I think there are 2 negative issues with full caps. First, there are some parts of a natural head of hair which are difficult to replicate with a prosthetic; particularly the sideburns and temple points (because the hair is so fine and sharply angled that the base material would show through) and the nape of the neck (because it is continually stretching and changing shape, so it is hard to get adhesives to work comfortably). Even if you replace everything else with a hair system, it can be worth retaining those parts of your natural hair if you can. Secondly, (and linked to the nape issue) it is hard to get a full cap to a point where it can't be felt by someone who touches your hair. With a standard hair system you can get a pretty undetectable feel if you are careful, but not with a full cap.

Hopefully some actual full cap wearers can chip in with first-hand experience.

I will PM you about places in LA.

Noah

Thanks a bunch for the insight Noah, feels nice to finally talk to somebody about these questions haha!

Also just a general question for you Noah or anyone who happens upon this thread; what current sites is everyone using these days? I'm not entirely sure where the salon I go to orders their systems from but I've been looking at Coolpiece and they are looking very nice for their prices!

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Someone here @AxC123 , I believe used or uses them. I don't have anyone I would recommend at that price point.
Hi Steve, I have never used coolpiece. .. I buy from superhairpieces. They have warehouse in Florida and in Canada. Being Canadian, when buying within Canada, I save on shipping and also on duty taxes...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Steve, I have never used coolpiece. .. I buy from superhairpieces. They have warehouse in Florida and in Canada. Being Canadian, when buying within Canada, I save on shipping and also on duty taxes...

Haha, sorry about that, I confused the names...