Counteracting lack of sex-drive from finasteride...

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there who had been experiencing serious sexual side effects from finasteride found any supplement which was able to counteract this.

I was on finasteride for about 3 months, during which time I have to say I didn't think there was any noticeable sexual side effects, but then I wasn't having sex at the time, and was still masturbating.

However, when I was forced to stop finasteride for a while due to finishing the pack and awaiting delivery this was when I knew it had most definately affected me - within 5 or 6 days of stopping finasteride, I was getting erections every morning which I hadn't been getting, hell I was even getting random erections sometimes just walking around. And my sex drive was definately increased.

I then started back on finasteride, this time I noticed my sex drive gradually declining whilst I was on it, thought this didn't particuarly bother me, trying to regain/keep hold of hair was more important.

I came unstuck when I met my new girlfrend (which is all another story which I will post another time) - we had been together for several months and still weren't having sex - it didn't bother me, I was enjoying myself and didn't really have the strong desire to have sex due to a lacking sex drive. One morning she started crying her eyes out after yet again I had spurned her advances the previous night and just went to sleep as usual, she thought I didn't find her attractive because I never had sex with her.

So i had to stop taking finasteride - that was about 2 months ago, and this time my sex drive has not recovered completely but it is much better than it was.

Sorry about the long post - I reallyw ant to start back on finasteride again, I was wondering if anyone out there who has suffered quite serious sexual side-effects (and I know theres a good number of you) who have taken some supplement which has given you your sex drive back.

Thanks

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If your sex drive hasnt returned after stopping finasteride, its probably a mental issue. Im not saying that while on finasteride you werent suffering a side effect, just that since there is now no longer any drug in your system, it cant be the only problem. Perhaps the incident with your girlfriend made you depressed and anxious.

I suggest you convince your girlfriend to shave herself, then go down on her as foreplay. That works 100% for me. If you dont get a huge hard on after that all hope is lost!

BTW I ran out of finasteride for a week recently. I hadnt sufferred any sides while on it, and my drive didnt change that week when off it. If anything, my sex drive was a bit lower that week. Perhaps the starting and stopping is worse than maintaining.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
well yes it is possible its mental, although some people can experience long term sexual side-effects even a long period after stopping, I guess theres always a chance something can happen when messing with your hormones.

I'm hoping at some point I can restart finasteride and find something that will boost my sex drive, I will see

klaus

Established Member
Reaction score
im use finasterida 5/6 years, and the side efects are here. less erections, less semen. is mental? a dont think, bros.
however, l-arginine(1000 mg/day) help me in this situation.
now, i am more erection(hard) and more semen.
l-arginine is good for me and i think help you too.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
L-arginine... you'd be better served eating properly (whole grain, nuts, legumes) rather than taking this suppliment. Then again, if you CBF, take the tablets..

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
im use finasterida 5/6 years, and the side efects are here. less erections, less semen. is mental? a dont think, bros.
however, l-arginine(1000 mg/day) help me in this situation.

Thinning actually meant it may just be a mental thing after stopping finasteride and it not returning. I think it is accepted that sexualn side-effects whilst on finasteride certainly ISN'T a mental thing (although of course it can be in some cases I'm sure)

Yeh I have heard of using l-arginine before on these boards, that is something I will think about taking.

Rage - why do you advise to take it in the food you eat as opposed to pill from? Is there any diffrence? I do have a fairly good diet which I don't plan on changing if I don't have to, though is low on the foods you mention

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about taking mega-man vitamens from GNC, to counter the sides.

/.2

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
klaus - seems youve been on finasteride for quite a long time. how have results been with regards to your hair? thanks.

misterium

Reaction score
L-Arginine:

EL ARR-GIN-INE

Seattle

Reaction score
What's up with all this EL ARR-GIN-INE?

How much does it cost?
Where do you buy it?
But the big question is, what are it's NEGATIVE side effects to the human body?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Seattle said:
What's up with all this EL ARR-GIN-INE?

How much does it cost?
Where do you buy it?

L-Arginine is real cheap. You can get it online (e.g. http://www.drugstore.com) or from any local GNC. It probably doesn't have any negative side effects to your body and likewise there hasn't been any clinical evidence to suggest it has any positive effects either.

D.

P.S. I pronounce it "el-ar-gee-neen".

Petchsky

Reaction score
Seattle Says

L'Arg is a amino acid and is therefore natural. Here is a description from a good website called http://www.medical-library.net

"L-arginine and L-ornithine are best discussed together as they usually are prepared and sold in combination. L-ornithine is converted to arginine in the body and therefore serves as a back up supply of L-arginine. L-arginine is converted to nitric oxide by an enzyme called nitric oxide synthase. Nitric oxide serves to keep pathogens out of the digestive tract; it serves to dilate blood vessels, and it is a potent source of energy and a sexual stimulant as well.

Upper back tension responds particularly well to L-arginine/L-ornithine. Other effects of this dynamic duo are muscle building and fat burning (especially when combined with exercise) with overall weight loss, accelerated wound healing, tissue repair and strengthened tendons and ligaments. L-arginine/L-ornithine should be taken with vitamin C, vitamin B6 and a good mineral supplement for maximum effect. "

Personally i use saw palmetto at a 160mg dose a day...this has no negative shedding effects and makes the 'Little General' stand to attention upon command. :p

klaus

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
klaus - seems youve been on finasteride for quite a long time. how have results been with regards to your hair? thanks.

yeah, i have great results with the FINASTERIDA and after 5/6 years it still works for me.

klaus

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:

yeah, i have great results with the FINASTERIDA and after 5/6 years it still works for me.

misterium

Reaction score
El-ARR-GIN (as in the drink), INE

Is how I say it.

I take it, I think it makes me more sexually potent as in I have more semen to shoot and I am hornier.

misterium

Reaction score
Klaus:

Your signature alarms me. Nizoral kills the hair?

klaus

Established Member
Reaction score
IwantMyhair said:
Klaus:

Your signature alarms me. Nizoral kills the hair?

sorry amigo, its only a joke =). other guy posted here and i think very funny. haha.
how nizoral killer your hair if it promotes the health of scalp?
however i remove ok my signature. sorry again...