Could minoxidil-induced dandruff cause increased hair shed or prevent regrowth

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using Kirklands liquid minoxidil for a little over two months now. The regrowth so far is awesome, the only thing that really stinks is the residue/dandruff that's left behind. I'll be in class and I'll rub my minoxidil spots and create a flaky wonderland on my desk. The bits of flakes seemingly have no end to the amount that can come off and I'm concerned it could cause an increase in hair fall or regrowth.

Sure, so far it hasn't hindered any regrowth yet, but any ideas on how things could play out when I'm a ways down the road?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Try applying an essential oil ie;pumpkin seed oil, avocado,etc., after your morning minoxidil. application. This may help keep the evidence of flaking in check as well as moisturizing the affected region(s). Both positive scenarios if you also have itching in the targeted areas. I found the foam version did not produce the flakey residue to the extent of the generic liquid, but that may have been merely my unique experience. Also I seem to recall hearing from other users that name brand minoxidil.(Rogaine) is less prone to causing this nuisance? However, the cost of Rogaine is hardly justifiable. If this all fails then you might try keeping those instigative fingers of yours off your head and firmly planted on your school desk.:) Good Luck.

Reaction score
It isn't the minoxidil creating the dandruff it is the alcohol and Propylene glycol creating the dandruff. Usually people have a hair regimen which includes a ketoconazole shampoo because it stops the production of DHT, but a good thing, it is also an anti-dandruff shampoo. If I was you, get a keotoconazole shampoo shampoo and use a paraben-free conditioner with pryrithione zinc.

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I'll try to keep hands off ID, thanks for your tips I'll look into it!

I'm actually already using Nizoral right now. Thing is if I rub it on my minoxidil spots I will get a terrifying amount of hair on my hands. I still use it, just probably not as effective as I could :p

Reaction score
It's probably the weaker hairs. You see, hair and hair regrowth is a lot like booze and natural selection. BigTexasSexy, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest & dumbest buffalos. And when the herd is hunted, it's the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers. Same thing with your hair. The weakest ones are being snuffed. So go out and have few shots before you do your daily hair regimen routine.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Now there's a man after my own heart.:beer::beer::beer:

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It isn't the minoxidil creating the dandruff it is the alcohol and Propylene glycol creating the dandruff. Usually people have a hair regimen which includes a ketoconazole shampoo because it stops the production of DHT, but a good thing, it is also an anti-dandruff shampoo. If I was you, get a keotoconazole shampoo shampoo and use a paraben-free conditioner with pryrithione zinc.

Neutrogena salicylic acid %3 shampoo will be a great help with dandruff. it is the best out there for dandruff from minoxidil