Could itching be a sign of growth?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
After a few months of finasteride the itching seemedto cease. I then had to cut down to .5mg and a few weeks later the itching is nonstop. No matter what shampoo I use its still there. I am on month 4 BTW. This is driving me crazy.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ugualy for most people when the itch stopps the dht is getting blocked... so if the itch is back maibe the dht is a bitt strong.. so in that case it would not be because of growth... thats just my thoughts about it.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes dandruff is still there. If the DHT is n't being blocked at .5mg then is it worth it to keep taking this stuff? It hasn't been this bad even before taking finasteride. I have no clue what is happenning...

IBM

Reaction score
Maybe its the dandruff. I've some dandruff and it itches like hell. But dont remove it. You'll make it worse.

Axl15

Reaction score
my itching has stopped, i havnt used im not on finasteride does that mean my hair will stay the way it is or will it repair?

inktomei

Reaction score
The first 4 months after I started finasteride, man, the itching was pretty intense at times. But Nizoral saved the day. Then all of a sudden I went through an entire day realizing that my scalp didn't itch once. I started on finasteride 18 months ago--check out my comparison picture from baseline to 4 1/2 months.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=24516&highlight=

I just started on Rogaine Foam about a month ago, we'll see how it goes in a few more months.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
inktomei said:
The first 4 months after I started finasteride, man, the itching was pretty intense at times. But Nizoral saved the day. Then all of a sudden I went through an entire day realizing that my scalp didn't itch once. I started on finasteride 18 months ago--check out my comparison picture from baseline to 4 1/2 months.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=24516&highlight=

I just started on Rogaine Foam about a month ago, we'll see how it goes in a few more months.

Are you on 1.25mg finasteride? I had to cut back to .5mg because of sides. If I had improvement like yours I would be jumping for joy. Gave me a little more hope./.

inktomei

Reaction score
gsrx,

No, I've been on 1mg since I started. I get the 5 mg Proscar and then cut them into fifths. As far as sides go, I take them in the evenings so I probably don't notice much of anything (knocking on wood). I switched to taking them in the mornings and I notice I feel more lethargic than usual.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I have the same itching, been on Proscar 1/4 for 4 months, not sure if it's hair loss or hair gain but it is definitly driving me crazy. Even nizoral would not calm it down. I read that putting with Apple Cider Vinegar in your hair and leave on for 10 minutes and wash works, so I tried it and believe it or not it worked for me!! It smells like hell but hey, the itch is gone. Hope this helps you. Good Luck to you

G

PropeciaJunkie said:
I have the same itching, been on Proscar 1/4 for 4 months, not sure if it's hair loss or hair gain but it is definitly driving me crazy. Even nizoral would not calm it down. I read that putting with Apple Cider Vinegar in your hair and leave on for 10 minutes and wash works, so I tried it and believe it or not it worked for me!! It smells like hell but hey, the itch is gone. Hope this helps you. Good Luck to you

Lots of people have said that apple cider vinegar works. How often do you use it?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
Lots of people have said that apple cider vinegar works. How often do you use it?
I use it EOD and if the itching is still around then I use it everyday. I hate the itch flare ups :(

Oh and you hair looks good. Wish I could pull that look off.

G

PropeciaJunkie said:
GrowHairGrow! said:
I use it EOD and if the itching is still around then I use it everyday. I hate the itch flare ups :(

Thanks. How's your hair doing btw? Your regimen is pretty similar to mine and you got the itch and all. We're in the same boat :lol: .

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on the finasteride for about a year and still get the itch from time too time, usually at the end of the day. I guess for most its when their hair starts to build up a bit of dirt and oil.

Peace...

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
PropeciaJunkie said:
[quote="GrowHairGrow!":24182]

Thanks. How's your hair doing btw? Your regimen is pretty similar to mine and you got the itch and all. We're in the same boat :lol: .[/quote:24182]

Very similar to yours, but I think you have a little more up front. The one thing I noticed is while on finasteride for 7 months now, The front started to thin more and that is where i get most of my itch

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I had significant itching for about a month. Afterward I noticed quite a few new hairs. I've been on it for 5 months and the itching has almost completely stopped.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
GrowHairGrow! said:
PropeciaJunkie said:
[quote="GrowHairGrow!":1d452]

Thanks. How's your hair doing btw? Your regimen is pretty similar to mine and you got the itch and all. We're in the same boat :lol: .

Very similar to yours, but I think you have a little more up front. The one thing I noticed is while on finasteride for 7 months now, The front started to thin more and that is where i get most of my itch[/quote:1d452]

How has saw palmetto worked for you? It seemed to help my itch, but also gave me insomnia. Did you have insomnia on such a high dose?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I believe itching is a sign that shows you still have excess DHT in your scalp.