Costunolide Promotes The Proliferation Of Human Hair Follicle Dermal Papilla Cells And Induces Hair

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Costunolide promotes the proliferation of human hair follicle dermal papilla cells and induces hair growth in C57BL/6 mice

Background
Costunolide (COS), a naturally occurring sesquiterpene lactone, is known to exert anti‐inflammatory, antioxidant, and anticancer effects. This study was undertaken to investigate the effects of costunolide on the promotion of hair growth.

Methods
Real‐time cell analyzer (RTCA), measurement of 5α‐reductase activity, mRNA expression, and Western blotting were adopted to address whether COS can stimulate the proliferation of human hair follicle dermal papilla cells (hHFDPCs). The effect of COS on in vivo hair growth was examined by reconstitution assay and shaven dorsal skin in C57BL/6 mice.

Results
Costunolide significantly promoted the proliferation of hHFDPCs, which is comparable to that of tofacitinib. COS also inhibited the 5α‐reductase activity in hHFDPCs. While COS increased the level of β‐catenin and Gli1 mRNA and proteins, it suppressed transforming growth factor (TGF)‐β1–induced phosphorylation of Smad‐1/5 in hHFDPCs. COS increased the number of cultured hHFDPCs to induce hair follicles from mouse epidermal cells in Spheres formation of reconstitution assay. Topical application of COS on the shaven back of C57BL/6 mice significantly improved the hair growth.

Conclusions
Our results illustrate that COS promotes hair growth in vitro and in vivo by regulating the amount of growth factors and/or the activity of cellular responses through coordination of the WNT‐β‐catenin, hedgehog‐Gli, and TGF‐β1–Smad pathways.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
In the present study, COS treatment reduced 5‐alpha reductase levels by 50% and also inhibited DHT‐stimulated activation of TGF‐β/BMP signaling.

+ Mice study

= no thanks

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
BIOLOGICAL INFO Application(s):Inhibits FPTase and telomerase

Inhibits telomerase? No thanks on that either. I like my telomeres long and strong.
...in cancer cells. Nobody wants imortality those. There are a lot of studies on this inhibiting breast cancer tumor growth.

Last edited:

Joe Marini

My Regimen
Reaction score
This looks promising but I'm unable to put all the jargon into a useful protocol. The powder might be too expensive if we need a lot. Can anyone share what the protocol should be if we wanted to try this?