Cost of Proscar

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to the local pharmacy today and asked the guy how much Proscar cost per month with a perscription, and he said $95. Surprised, I asked what factors affect differences in price, since I've heard people here say it was $60 per month with a perscription. He didn't know.

Does anyone have any idea why it woud be so expensive? I was given a perscription for Propecia a year ago that I never used, and it was only $70.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Proscar is 5mg and if you divide it into 5ths to get the 1mg dosage your actually getting a 5 month supply for $95 as opposed to a 1 month supply of Propecia for $70.
There's always going to be a difference in the price of drugs at different pharmacies. There isn't set pricing for drugs just like everything else you have to shop around for the best price. Your pharmacy sells Proscar for $95. I use drugstore.com for my prescrips. Proscar is $74.00 there for 30 pills.

BHD

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Guess I'll have to go out of town, unless I decide to go the online fincar route. Have an uneasy feeling about that, though. :?

I've been wondering about your situation. With your finasteride dosage cut by 75%, some change is bound to take place in terms of benefits, although I hope they're not too significant.

Although more important, I suppose, is whether you got the gyno under control. Is it still sensitive to the touch?

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Jeez. I didn't even notice "drugstore.com" the first time I read your reply. Guess that's where I'm headed. Do you need a perscription with them?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Yes a prescrip is needed with them. I get a lot of stuff from them though so it's really convenient. Rogaine 5% goes on special all the time there for about $46 for a three pack. I get my Lysine and nizoral there too. I usually go check the bathroom to see what we're out of and it saves me a trip to the store. If you spend above a certain amount the shipping is free....Added bonus no tax.
As for the Gyno thing.... I think it's under control. No more burning in the left pec and the lump on the right side hasn't gotten any worse. My hair on the other hand has started to fall out again. Not nearly as bad as it was when I wasn't taking anything. I've started using topical spironolactone as a DHT inhibitor in hopes that it will make up for the lower dosage of finasteride. Only time will tell.

BHD