Cost is Major Concern and Super Dummy in regards to DIY

lahsiv

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I am from india and located in Houston (5 years) , i have already gone thru Hair transplant once about 300 grafts in 2012 but as it stands i am not happy with the results at all. Now i am thinking of Hair replacement option.. I visited Hair club and was offered around 5K ( 6 months) plus some contract of 300 dollars per month for rest of your life and they will make sure you look good (i almost got seizure attack of paying 300$ every month for the hairs which are not even real..lol ) anyways now i am quite afraid as i have already lost a lot of money in 2012 and do not have any more intension to spend more money than minimum requirement. i have been reading lots of threads on this form but i am not able to proper answers so, i started new thread. 1 - Like i said i am supper Dummy, and do not know anything about Toupee or wigs, how will i be able to Do it my self ? can you guys recommend any videos or step by step procedure if you have come across ? 2 - I read few blogs, it was mentioned that " first time approach should be done with hair clinic for hair replacement".... is that you all agree ? do they do anything special which you can`t do if you DIY ? 3 - Can anyone recommend some mom & pop salon in houston ? ( Any specific words to use while you seach in google )4 - Any other option where you don`t end up getting ripped by hair clinic and at the same time you don`t even do it your self, just to be on safe side so you don`t ***K up your wig ? I need to learn this step by step only because this thing requires maintenance, and it will better for me to know ins and out of this as it will evacuate me in the event of emergency. Thanks in advance Grincher, Kedha and all others, i have noticed Grincher and Kedha are always spot on and willing to help out guys like me... lol...

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

With research and then practice, like thousands of others you will be able to do DIY :)

Once you know whats what, its really simple and the advantages are more than salons and clinics.

In fact, just this morning before work, I removed, cleaned and reattached my piece in under 30 mins. I do that every 3 or 4 weeks only. There is no daily routine apart from a comb for 30 seconds. It really is less hassle than visiting a clinic. Not to mention the lower cost and increased options available.

There are many youtube videos, just type in a combo of hair systems, toupees, male, men, attach, cut, clean etc and check the links one evening.

These videos and a little confidence is all you need for DIY. There is no need for a clinic. They will always charge you more. Thats not the issue as they are doing more, but the size of those charges is extraordinary and dispropriate.

They offer NOTHING special which you cannot learn for yourself quite easily. In fact, with DIY you will learn far more than with any clinic.

You need to find a good supplier and talk over with them what you want.

Im in the UK and have used www.ukhairsystems.com - for a while even when I was in Germany and Dubai I got them shipped over.

Northwestlace, coolpieces and toplace are others to consider and come up on forums.

lahsiv

Reaction score
Thank you Grincher for prompt response.I will start calling these distributors and understand what are the variable available or specification in order to place an order ? while i am at it about specification, which is the best option to go with ? i have been reading your preference that you preferred lace piece over skin or other available option. i think i am kinda same as i work out 4-5 times in a week plus i end up playing cricket on weekend so i need my hair piece to breath in/out. These are steps, which i intend to follow in order to begin this process, can you please review it and edit it as required bud ?1 - Got tape for measurement and came up with 7" x 9" head dimension. 2- Cut hair sample and send it to distributor. [I need advise on this] please suggest me how do you do this step on ? i tried to find video but could not locate it.3- How many quantity should i order ? Two for sure and +1 for back up-- 4 - Accessories - What tools i have to stock it once i get my toupee with me ? Type of adhesive, clips, etc... Go in as much as detail as possible bud..Above are preliminary steps, once i get thru these i will plan for the next phase.. (Seems like i am writing SIT/FAT Procedure... lol).. I really appreciate your help on it Grincher and admire you as persuasive personality. Cheers ----

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When starting out its important to keep it simple. You need something durable and breathable so opt for lace.

Definitely go with an emergency piece or 2 if you are serious. Also consider one of those to be skin. Its important to try different things early so you can make the right decisions moving forward.

There's no min or max hair to cut. Just give as much hair as you can manage for the closest colour match.

Stick with a roll of tape, solvent remover to clean adhesives and a paraben free shampoo. Thats the minimum. To that you can add as you go along as you find your own preferences.

lahsiv

Reaction score
All, Wish the new year brings happiness, success and prosperity for all of us... wishing you and your families a very happy new year 2015.....Hi Grincher, sorry for late response. I was extremely snowed under at work.Like i said, i was staying busy at work and my "Hair Project" has not moved at all. I am still at square one. But i met one of my colleague who is been wearing hair system from around 12 years. He showed me one local saloon place here in my town which is not very expensive and seems like it will be good start. Long story short, i am not brave enough to do this experiment on my head as i have no experience in this and afraid if i end up with major f**** up. Definitely, once i will gain some experience i will be prefer to Do this my self in long term prospects. Much appreciate it for your help and concerns. Stay in Touch buddy..Cheers....

TBazz

Reaction score
All, Wish the new year brings happiness, success and prosperity for all of us... wishing you and your families a very happy new year 2015.....Hi Grincher, sorry for late response. I was extremely snowed under at work.Like i said, i was staying busy at work and my "Hair Project" has not moved at all. I am still at square one. But i met one of my colleague who is been wearing hair system from around 12 years. He showed me one local saloon place here in my town which is not very expensive and seems like it will be good start. Long story short, i am not brave enough to do this experiment on my head as i have no experience in this and afraid if i end up with major f**** up. Definitely, once i will gain some experience i will be prefer to Do this my self in long term prospects. Much appreciate it for your help and concerns. Stay in Touch buddy..Cheers....

Hello there...I am a system wearer for the last five months. I have started out with hairclub just to be on the safer side, but quickly realized that there is nothing much to doing all this by yourself and in my opinion everyone should have the skills to do this themselves in case an emergency situation arises. I am in Canada (50mins from Toronto) and I was originally born in India too. Suffered from hairloss since I was 19 and at 29 I decided to get a hair system. Making the template, choosing the hair density, wave and color can all seem daunting at first, but there is not much to it once you get at it. If you want I can assist you personally in getting started...

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello there...I am a system wearer for the last five months. I have started out with hairclub just to be on the safer side, but quickly realized that there is nothing much to doing all this by yourself and in my opinion everyone should have the skills to do this themselves in case an emergency situation arises. I am in Canada (50mins from Toronto) and I was originally born in India too. Suffered from hairloss since I was 19 and at 29 I decided to get a hair system. Making the template, choosing the hair density, wave and color can all seem daunting at first, but there is not much to it once you get at it. If you want I can assist you personally in getting started...

I completely agree. Once you know you know and there really isnt much to know when someone points you in the right direction.

lahsiv

Reaction score
I completely agree. Once you know you know and there really isnt much to know when someone points you in the right direction.
Hi Tibazz and Grincher. Thank you very much wonderful support. I will keep your suggestion in mind and will stay in touch. Once again, I will still go with the local hair club here in town and paid only $$$ for 3 month (No contracts + Unlimited services + Includes only one hair system).. and thats it. so lets say in Feb or early march, i will order all required gears and will start doing it by myself..yay. !!!