copper peptides

Reaction score
Ive been applying Folligen for a weeks now, havent notice a thing yet, but i dont feel any sting (maybe it only happens when applied with minoxidil)

btw, mines is the green cream version, only using it on the temples

MH

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in CU peptides. Not only does it lengthen hair growth phase and stimulate hair growth, but it also virtually eliminates inflammation.

Cu peptides are becoming increasingly popular for their anti-aging effects on the skin, and hair cells. The peptides effectively keep the hair cells from dying a premature death.

One of the lesser know facts about CU ions is their ability to inhibit 5-AR type l & ll by 50%.

http://www.anagen.net/rame1.htm

Cu peptides account for the big three reasons for hair loss: DHT, Inflammation and shortened hair growth phase.

You have three choices: Folligen, Crew Cu Peptides, or Tricomin

I use the Crew along with topical 2% spironolactone

I wouldn't do w/out either.

Here's a site with some of the clinical studies and pictures. This is based on REAL clinical trials, not the half-baked trials done by people like revivogen.

http://www.anagen.net/tricofin.htm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
One of the lesser know facts about CU ions is their ability to inhibit 5-AR type l & ll by 50%.

http://www.anagen.net/rame1.htm

I wouldn't take that too seriously, if I were you. I have never seen ANY trial that demonstrated topical copper peptides to have significant 5a-reductase-inhibiting ability! (BTW, the copper atoms in copper peptides are NOT in the ionic form.)

JesusFreak said:
Cu peptides account for the big three reasons for hair loss: DHT, Inflammation and shortened hair growth phase.

Well, two out of three, anyway! :)

JesusFreak said:
You have three choices: Folligen, Crew Cu Peptides, or Tricomin

Don't forget Dr. Proctor's products: Prox-n and Proxiphen. He pioneered the use of SODs. Folligen, Crew, and Tricomin are simply "me too" products.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
folligen makes my scalp tight , shiny and slightly red. i think in my case it does little to no good. but i never had inflammation.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
my tricomin experience

I don't know about use by itself but with minoxidil its great at countering the inflamation and generally makes my scalp feel much healthier and also lessen skin shedding .

regain

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to re-phrase the question above. I was meant to ask:
Where (not why) do you purchase your Crew Copper Peptides from?

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that too seriously, if I were you. I have never seen ANY trial that demonstrated topical copper peptides to have significant 5a-reductase-inhibiting ability! (BTW, the copper atoms in copper peptides are NOT in the ionic form.)

Why wouldn't you take the study seriously? It's only the abstract, but there is no reason to question the findings.

According to dr. Pickart, who probably knows more about the science of Cu peptides than anyone in the world, copper peptides are metabolized and disassociate into free Cu ions in the scalp.

Where (not why) do you purchase your Crew Copper Peptides from?

I purchase it at a hair product outlet store...My mother used to be a hair stylist and still has her license, and she gets the stuff for about 30% off...I get a 6oz bottle for $15

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
Why wouldn't you take the study seriously? It's only the abstract, but there is no reason to question the findings.

I question it for the reason I stated above: there's no study I'm aware of that showed any kind of antiandrogenic effect from the topical application of copper peptides. BTW, Dr. Proctor was once asked if there was anything in Prox-N (which contains copper peptides, among numerous other things) which acts as an antiandrogen or 5a-reductase inhibitor, and his answer was "Not to my knowledge".

I think those statements from Pickart's Web site are rather vague and speculative: MAYBE the application of copper peptides can cause the disassociation into copper ions to a "normal" level, and MAYBE it might inhibit a molecule or two of 5a-reductase! :)

JesusFreak said:
According to dr. Pickart, who probably knows more about the science of Cu peptides than anyone in the world, copper peptides are metabolized and disassociate into free Cu ions in the scalp.

I wouldn't go THAT far about Dr. Pickart! Remember, Dr. Proctor was the first one to exploit SODs for hairloss, and has the dominant patents in that area.

BTW, copper peptides disassociate into free copper ions only to a very small extent, as even Pickart makes clear in that section on his Web site. That's a good thing, too, because it's the whole copper peptide molecule which functions as a SOD, not the copper ion. Furthermore, copper ions are VERY irritating and corrosive to the skin/scalp. Trust me on this: you don't WANT a high concentration of copper ions on your scalp! :freaked2:

Bryan

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I question it for the reason I stated above: there's no study I'm aware of that showed any kind of antiandrogenic effect from the topical application of copper peptides. BTW, Dr. Proctor was once asked if there was anything in Prox-N (which contains copper peptides, among numerous other things) which acts as an antiandrogen or 5a-reductase inhibitor, and his answer was "Not to my knowledge".

Dr. Proctor doesn't seem to have knowlege of many things, judging by how many times I've heard him use that phrase.

Anyways, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Obviously, more research is needed on this subject. What we know by the trials and by the trial photos is that Cu peptides are effective in male pattern baldness. The complete mechanism of action is not understood. I've read nothing excluding an anti-androgen mechanism. Dr. Pickart has only hinted at a partial anti-androgen mechanism.

BTW, Cu ions are not particularly toxic at the kind of concentrations we are talking about, unless you are a fish.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
Dr. Proctor doesn't seem to have knowlege of many things, judging by how many times I've heard him use that phrase.

That's a VERY simplistic way of judging how much Dr. Procor knows!

He certainly isn't very chatty. His replies on hairloss sites are usually clipped and to-the-point, and frequently consist of only a single sentence. I suggest that you read through his entire Web site, and THEN tell me how much you think he knows! :wink:

JesusFreak said:
Obviously, more research is needed on this subject. What we know by the trials and by the trial photos is that Cu peptides are effective in male pattern baldness. The complete mechanism of action is not understood. I've read nothing excluding an anti-androgen mechanism. Dr. Pickart has only hinted at a partial anti-androgen mechanism.

Yes, and I think it's a misleading hint, probably based on the popularity of Propecia. He wants to vaguely suggest that gee, there's this in vitro study showing that copper ions can inhibit 5a-reductase, so MAYBE his product can do the same thing as Propecia! :p

Why don't you test it yourself? Pick an oily area of your face, like your forehead or your nose. Apply a drop or two of Tricomin or Crew or Folligen to only ONE side of that area, leaving the other side as a control. Do that for a month or two, and see if the treated side becomes less oily than the control side. That method was used by some serious scientists to show that topical GLA (the fatty acid gamma linolenic acid) and EGCG (the main polyphenol in green tea) were able to reduce sebum production significantly. Let's see if YOU can demonstrate the same thing with topical copper peptides!

JesusFreak said:
BTW, Cu ions are not particularly toxic at the kind of concentrations we are talking about, unless you are a fish.

No, but neither are they effective at inhibiting 5a-reductase at the kind of concentrations we're talking about (from applying copper peptides).

Bryan