cooking the perfect steak?

HughJass

Reaction score
any tips?

I usually pan fry them (t-bones) in ghee. But it's getting boring.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Depends on the steak.

If its a less flavorful cut, like a filet mignon, I would pan fry it. I prefer the French technique... coat the cuts of meat in rock salt and peppercorns, then pan fry them in butter. For a nice thick cut of filet, about 6 minutes a side over high heat. I then pull the cuts off the pan, toss in some diced shallots and saute them till soft, then toss in a half cup or so of cognac, (and a half cup of cream - optional), bring to a boil, then throw in a teaspoon or so of tarragon and simmer this sauce until it reduces and the harshness of the alcohol cooks off.. then top the cooked cuts of meat with the pan sauce.

For a more flavorful cut, I'd either throw it on the grill or broil it. I first give the meat a nice splashing of a marinade, I prefer to mix up a marinade of soy sauce, ground red pepper powder, and lemon and VERY gently work this marinade into the meat. Then season the meat with salt and pepper and a LITTLE bit of garlic powder, then toss on the grill. High heat, about 6 mins a side or so for a relatively thick cut of meat, with the lid of the barbecue pulled down to keep the heat in.

HughJass

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Depends on the steak.

If its a less flavorful cut, like a filet mignon, I would pan fry it. I prefer the French technique... coat the cuts of meat in rock salt and peppercorns, then pan fry them in butter. For a nice thick cut of filet, about 6 minutes a side over high heat. I then pull the cuts off the pan, toss in some diced shallots and saute them till soft, then toss in a half cup or so of cognac, (and a half cup of cream - optional), bring to a boil, then throw in a teaspoon or so of tarragon and simmer this sauce until it reduces and the harshness of the alcohol cooks off.. then top the cooked cuts of meat with the pan sauce.

that sounds pretty good.

6 minutes a side seems like a long time, I usually only give it 3 a side. Are we talking well done? I usually go for medium rare....

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
here's how I pan fry steaks (need to be fresh or fully thawed)

rinse with cold water, pat dry with (paper) towel.

rub (a good brand) sea salt on both sides, then coat with Ex Virgin Olive Oil.

let steak sit at room temp for 30mins. Heat pan to medium/medium high. No oil in the pan. A good pan is extremely important.

cook as desired. i do about 4.5mins per side for ribeye (my fav cut, yum)

season with a little thyme AFTER removing from pan and rest the steak vertically if you can for an amount of time equal to half the total cooking time (eg 5 mins)

eat

Cassin

Reaction score
I have cooked many a steak. No matter what you do there is two keys to a great steak.

Let the steak get room temperature before you cook it.

Over salt it.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I have cooked many a steak. No matter what you do there is two keys to a great steak.

Let the steak get room temperature before you cook it.

Over salt it.

Cool! I will try that!

The Gardener

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
The Gardener said:
I prefer to mix up a marinade of soy sauce, ground red pepper powder...
Is that what us over here call cayenne or is it paprika?
Cayenne
6 minutes a side seems like a long time, I usually only give it 3 a side. Are we talking well done?
Yeah, maybe I put it on for 4-5 mins, I usually judge it based on touch, on how "springy" the meat is, but it depends on the thickness.... when I get a filet, I usually get one that's a good inch and a half thick (3.8 cm). 3 minutes is not nearly enough.

And, in my Steak au Poivre recipe above, when I refer to "peppercorns" I am referring to CRACKED peppercorns.
Over salt it.
TOTALLY agree. In addition to seasoning the meat, I think the salt helps the outer edge of the meat form a better sear, which keeps the inner part of the steak moist.

Boondock

Reaction score
I like to sprinkle a little Rogaine 5% on my steak. Just gives it that extra 'grrrrrr'.

oni

Reaction score
As Cassin said, leave your steak out to get to room temp.

Nice thick bit of fillet steak, light olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper and some crushed garlic. :)

I only like my steak done for 1 min each side for fillet, rib eye steak I will give 2 mins because of fat content.

I do like my steak rare.

When you have finished cooking your steak, leave it to rest on a warm plate for 5-10 minutes.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The Gardener said:

Thanks. I always have extra hot cayenne (I'm a curry fiend) so I'd better be sparing with the red stuff. Mmm, curry... that's what I'll do for dinner.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Even better than a fish curry is one with prawns (U.S. shrimps). I ended up doing chicken madras (a dish born in Britain), this wonderfully earthy five-lentil dhal, an aloo gobi (potato & cauliflower), some spiced basmati rice and (admittedly shop bought) coriander naan on the side. Delicious. Of course the place smells like a curry house this morning....

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's often claimed that salt can seize meats when applied prior to cooking. You will also often see higher-end restaurants electing to impart seasoning to grilled meats in the form of a "hotel butter", or compound butter, post-cooking. I usually do both... who knows.

Regarding reducing to eliminate the harshness of cognac, try deglazing with the liquor and reducing it by 75% or so before adding cream, stock or butter. Also, one could flambe to quicken the process.

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've managed to recently figure out that a balsamic-honey reduction is absolutely gangster when applied to steak during the last minute or so of grilling.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
forget steaks, pizza burger is where it's at :whistle:
1277827467448.jpg