Convincing Balding Friends to start treatments?

Wonko

Reaction score
Anybody out there had any success convincing a balding person who isn't on meds to get on them? I am 0-2. I've done great with finasteride & minoxidil, so i'm at a loss why they ignore my advice.

Neither were aware Propecia/dutasteride exists. One was suspicious of its effectivenes after informed. :!:

Wonko

G

askas said:
Wonko said:
Anybody out there had any success convincing a balding person who isn't on meds to get on them? I am 0-2. I've done great with finasteride & minoxidil, so i'm at a loss why they ignore my advice.

Neither were aware Propecia/dutasteride exists. One was suspicious of its effectivenes after informed. :!:

Wonko

I wish I would be adviced with a right person. Now Im diffuse 6, and I really frustrated that I just didn't have right information.
And that's the only reason why I'm bald now at 23. :lol:
I just was late for 2 years.
Now..no hope.

pics?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wonko said:

Wonko

I'm 0 for 4.

One guy says he doesn't care.

I spoke to another couple friends and they said they wouldn't do anything about it if they do go bald. (But they have good genetics so they may not have to worry.)

G

Follically Challenged said:
I spoke to another couple friends and they said they wouldn't do anything about it if they do go bald. (But they have good genetics so they may not have to worry.)

this doesn't make sense to me. they have good genetics but are noticeably balding and i assume around your age? it doesn't make sense, fc. if they are noticeably balding at this age beyond a natural maturing of the hairline then chances are they are headed for NW5+ without meds.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
this doesn't make sense to me. they have good genetics but are noticeably balding and i assume around your age? it doesn't make sense, fc. if they are noticeably balding at this age beyond a natural maturing of the hairline then chances are they are headed for NW5+ without meds.

i was just talking to them about if they start going bald one day. they haven't lost any hair.

G

Follically Challenged said:
JayMan said:

i was just talking to them about if they start going bald one day. they haven't lost any hair.

well why don't you wait until they are actually balding before you start talking to them about it? they may not even bald.

s.a.f

Reaction score
obviously no ones going to worry about it until it actualy starts happening to them!
As for trying to persuade freinds to get on a regime DONT ! Unless you can know for sure that someone is actualy distressed about their hairloss and wants to do something about it then just leave them alone. It may be hard to understand but there are some people who can actually come to terms with going bald and dont have a big complex about the whole thing. Why try and force your own opinions onto someone else. All this can do is possibly make them paranoid about it and damage their confidence. I have nothing but admiration for the guys who can just say "so what I'm going bald, I'm not going to let it get me down I still feel good about myself and I'm just going to get on with life and enjoy myself".
Unfortunatly I'm not one of those guys.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Ask them to browse with you through this forum, and show them the “success storiesâ€￾ forum.

Explain to them the different treatments available with their pros and cons.

And if they don’t want to try any treatment, that’s their decision, not yours. But at least you tried your best.

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just mind your own business?
I'm going bald despite having treatment, and I get really hacked off when somebody mentions it. It's my problem, and I don't appreciate other people's opinions - no matter how well-meant they are. Why do some people alwyas have the urge to stick their oar in?

CCS

Reaction score
a friend of mine who first talked me into hair grafts is taking propecia, and says I'm crazy for taking avodart. I told him about RU. He can afford it. Not sure if he believes that my data is right, though.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
news2 = best advice so far

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the point in telling someone?

If they're really concerned about their baldness then I would assume they'd already gone on the net and did some research. From there it wouldn't be difficult at all to find out about the meds. Otherwise, they probably just don't give a damn or they've already come to terms with their situation so there's no point mentioning it.

The only time I would consider mentioning it would be if they're visibly affected by it (eg. wearing a hat all the time or becoming less sociable). If this is the case then I wouldn't just bring it up out of the blue. I'd wait for the topic of hair to come up, then go on to mention how I'm balding and taking medication to help the situation. If he's intrigued by it then he'd just ask me questions... but if doesn't ask questions, then I'll just assume that he's already come to terms with his situation.