Contouring/Cutting into the hairline

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone ever cut into the hairline to shape it better? I am having a hard time finding a piece with the proper hairline contour / level of recession, which I think is a massive part of a completely realistic look. I want to get a stock C hairline and cut it down to give it the proper shape -- not quite AA but not perfectly rounded.

I hear a lot about how you aren't supposed to cut into the hairline of a piece, but what is the reason for that exactly other than the frontal graduated density being diminished? I'd think that the trade off of realistic facial framing matters more than the frontal density being a little higher. FWIW I wear a .03 thin skin piece.

side note: what is the best way to determine what the best hairline angle is for your face, other than trial and error? Is there any science to it?

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you tried making you own template based on any evidence of your front hairline then over laying it on the stock piece and cutting?

In my experience, cutting into the front hair line to form a new line just doesnt look right but thats just my experience

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done this. It's not advisable to cut the hairline, however if the hairline is not exposed (or if there are areas where it's not exposed, for example either side of a parting), then it can be done without it being visible. Just go slowly, be subtle and don't remove too much at a time as it can't be undone. The last thing you want to do is ruin a good hair system without having a backup.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone ever cut into the hairline to shape it better?

yeah, i do this to every piece.

my template has a slightly asymmetrical hairline with a widows peak and other irregularities.

Have you tried making you own template based on any evidence of your front hairline then over laying it on the stock piece and cutting?

BINGO. at least, that's been my approach.

what is the reason for that exactly other than the frontal graduated density being diminished?

afaik, that's the only reason. you can usually pluck hair out of UTS to restore the graduation you've cut into, but sometimes the v-loops are really stuck in there and plucking leaves 'dead ants' along the hairline.

I'd think that the trade off of realistic facial framing matters more than the frontal density being a little higher.

yeah i mean i don't think non-graduated fronts look good in most cases but i'd agree that the hairline contour is extremely important and can't believe most guys don't even bother to personalize. IMHO a stock hairline contour
can never look better than 'just okay' no matter how good everything else is.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I started wearing I made the template as @grincher suggests, by playing connect the dots with what was left of my hairline and then checking it against old photos where I had a buzz cut or something so the contour was visible.

I've changed my template a bunch of times since but that's the hairline shape i still use, i've just added a tiny bit more recession in the corners over the years.

some companies wouldn't make a custom in that shape so i made another template with a generic contour that's slightly lower than i want it and i'd carve the hairline shape myself like i do with the stocks.

i just trace the template onto the base with a fine dry erase marker and make a series of tiny incisions with an exacto knife. I've heard of people pinning the hairpiece to a foam head when they do this, but i've never managed to do it that way without cutting some of the hair. i just hold the base up with my left hand and carve with my right.

then i'll pluck it a little if it's not graduated enough.

the problem nowadays is the ventilation isn't always so fine tuned and with the v-loop skins you get some that don't have a properly graduated front, just a solid wall of hair with a huge bald spot right behind it to soften the hairline appearance. i try to send those back but it's sometimes hard to catch until the hair is uncoiled and maybe also cut, so unreturnable. but, y'know, you could end up with a bald spot right in the front if you cut the hairline back on a badly ventilated piece.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
On a lace wig just use a sharp new razor blade to cut along the underside of the lace to trim the base to the exact shape you want, making sure not to cut into the hair on the other side. Besides the front hairline, I also sometimes reshape the temples and sideburn areas when fine tuning my full cap wigs using the same technique.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you need to slightly change the contour, the best way is to download this chart, print it out full size (on cardboard, if possible), and use the correct one as a guide. I do this quite frequently.

Contours-Tape-Guide-RemovedActualSize.png