Continuous shedding for 3 months - Advice

vancity1414

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been on finasteride and minoxidil for about 5 years and experienced no shedding and regrowth.

About 3 months ago, my hair began to shed rapidlly. To combat this - I added 0.5mg of Dutasteride within 2 weeks of the shedding.

2 and a half months later I am still experiencing the same amount of shedding with no signs of slowing down....

Does anyone have any advice or insight on this? My hair has noticibly thinned in this time and I am hoping that means re-growth and more hair at some point but any comments would be helpful...

the_good_fight

Reaction score
Are the hairs you're shedding good club chairs, or miniaturized, or both?

Have you had any changes in medication? Any recent illness 3 to 6 months ago?

I recently posted on here because I'm going through the same thing as you – only it happened to me at about two years after starting treatment.

Since the majority of my shedding is strong club chairs, and I'm continuing treatment, I see no reason to believe that the hair wouldn't come back – as good or better than before.

The question is, how long will it take. Some say 3 to 6 months, while others 1 to 2 years to see it all come back.

I've marked some dates in the calendar to check for decent regrowth, I suggest you do the same.

The key is I see many men on this and other boards freak out, and either change or discontinue treatment. The key is to stay on course – Mark four months from now on your calendar, and six months from now and eight months from now and so on.

vancity1414

Reaction score
It seems to be all types of hair both thick and thin and from all over....I am surprised that the avodart hasnt helped stop it by now but I guess you are right - I need to wait and see. it has been 3 months but I guess its to early to judge. I ll check back at 6 and 8 months to hopefully see improvement. Thanks for your support.

the_good_fight

Reaction score
I know it's brutal! The avodart might be encouraging the shed as well— so hopefully you see improvement.

I'm pretty confident I'll start seeing re growth in August, just really rough to wait it out.

Do you use concealers? They're helpful during a bad shed.