Continue with Foam or not?

Rinaldo

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for a great forum....I've spent the better part of the morning reading through some of the posts.....great source of information.
A little background......48 yr old male, started on Rogaine 2% in 1997, mostly as a preventative with the hope of some new growth. Eventually went to Dr. Lee's 5% a few years ago, and have used Xandrox 5% on and off at night. My crown had thinned a little bit, along with temple and hairline recession. Probably a Norwood 3 at this time. Also tried Dr. Proctor's NANO for about a year. I've also been using the Laser Comb for about a year without any real noticeable results. Anyway, I switched to the Rogaine foam about 3 months ago, used it in the morning for the superior cosmetic effect, and either Dr. Lee's 5% or Xandrox at night. I've noticed a large amount of shedding and an overall thinning also.....most especially at the crown. I appear to be fast-tracking to a Norwood 4 now. My hairline "seems" to have some new growth, but my obvious concern is the thinning. Now, I know that a shed is somewhat typical (?), but at this point in time, I need to make a decision to either press on with the foam or return to Dr. Lee's 5% and hope for a return to baseline.

I would really like to hear the recommendations of the board to help me in my decision.
Thanks very much.

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read a couple of things regarding this. First off, there have been many reports of sheds when switching to different brands of minoxidil. Secondly, there has also been alot of reports of shedding when using the foam but the thought is that the hairs will come back even stronger.

Can anyone else help this fellow out? I am definately no expert in the field of minoxidil but hopefully that helps a bit.