Constant Space Heater Use Causing Hair Loss

marymuss2

My Regimen
Reaction score
My daughter has been experiencing hair loss that becomes noticeable in February/March for three seasons now. Then the hair grows back in. She’s only ten years old. Our dermatologist believes it’s stress-related, but what’s stressing her out in the previous months each year? It dawned on me that she starts sitting in front of a space heater in November and goes until March. It’s a habit to get out of the shower, sit in front of the heater. Have a snack, pull out the heater. She loves to be toasty warm and our house is always cold. We’re always telling her she’s too close. Could the constant heat trigger hair loss as her hair cycle progresses through the winter? Maybe it’s not mental stress but physical? She doesn’t shed excessively, it just stops growing and the area of her hair swirl
up to her crown is nearly bald. By end of March, she has little black hair follicles growing in and inch long hairs by the start of summer. Doctor wants her to start Rogaine, but we’re hesitant and trying to find any cause I guess.

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My daughter has been experiencing hair loss that becomes noticeable in February/March for three seasons now. Then the hair grows back in. She’s only ten years old. Our dermatologist believes it’s stress-related, but what’s stressing her out in the previous months each year? It dawned on me that she starts sitting in front of a space heater in November and goes until March. It’s a habit to get out of the shower, sit in front of the heater. Have a snack, pull out the heater. She loves to be toasty warm and our house is always cold. We’re always telling her she’s too close. Could the constant heat trigger hair loss as her hair cycle progresses through the winter? Maybe it’s not mental stress but physical? She doesn’t shed excessively, it just stops growing and the area of her hair swirl
up to her crown is nearly bald. By end of March, she has little black hair follicles growing in and inch long hairs by the start of summer. Doctor wants her to start Rogaine, but we’re hesitant and trying to find any cause I guess.
Hi, I have been losing my hair since I was 7, now I am 19. My hair never grew back except once. I couldn't advise you because I still have the problem for me but I can just tell you that you have to do everything to fix the problem for your daughter because it really ruins the youth.

For Rogaine, I don't think it's cool to start it, it's very restrictive, it's lifelong, has to be put on twice a day and it greases the hair a lot and it's horrible especially for girls. Your daughter is affected how by hair loss, it is noticeable by others or is that if you really look that it shows

marymuss2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I have been losing my hair since I was 7, now I am 19. My hair never grew back except once. I couldn't advise you because I still have the problem for me but I can just tell you that you have to do everything to fix the problem for your daughter because it really ruins the youth.

For Rogaine, I don't think it's cool to start it, it's very restrictive, it's lifelong, has to be put on twice a day and it greases the hair a lot and it's horrible especially for girls. Your daughter is affected how by hair loss, it is noticeable by others or is that if you really look that it shows
We notice it before anyone else does, and then it progresses to where everyone else can notice if they look at the top of her head before it starts to grow in. She’s started to be self conscious about it now that she’s getting older. The rest of her hair is so healthy and normal. What else have you tried that promoted hair growth and did you have the loss in a yearly cycle like this?

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We notice it before anyone else does, and then it progresses to where everyone else can notice if they look at the top of her head before it starts to grow in. She’s started to be self conscious about it now that she’s getting older. The rest of her hair is so healthy and normal. What else have you tried that promoted hair growth and did you have the loss in a yearly cycle like this?
It's a vicious cycle, the more hair we lose, the more we stress and the more we lose. It's not some sort of cycle, I actually think some people are basic stressors: /

If it is due to stress, studies prove that a good diet / sport activity reduces stress.

I can only advise you to see other doctors, dermatologists specializing in hair loss because in reality many know nothing about hair.
It is not normal to lose hair at such a young age and for many years

miskies

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it breakage? I know space heaters will dry out the heck out of my hair which can cause it to break off.