Considering Using Minoxidil Alone, Will It Improve?

Anil

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys, i have very slow thining and receding, do you suggest me use minoxidil alone? Or not at all.

P.s: i used finasteride before, had gynocomastia so i will never use use it again. ( Not for me, i understand that. )

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 2 years (2015-2017). It made me regain lots of hair. Even made me grow facial hair. Then it just stopped working and I lost everything I gained when my genetics and dht overpowered it. Better use dht blockers like finasteride. minoxidil without finasteride was my mistake.

Anil

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 2 years (2015-2017). It made me regain lots of hair. Even made me grow facial hair. Then it just stopped working and I lost everything I gained when my genetics and dht overpowered it. Better use dht blockers like finasteride. minoxidil without finasteride was my mistake.
Meeeeh, better i will be bald then. I am against to blocking my manly hormones.
Thanks anyway dude. Thanks for sharing your experience, good luck all.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Meeeeh, better i will be bald then. I am against to blocking my manly hormones.
Thanks anyway dude. Thanks for sharing your experience, good luck all.
you will regret this

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it will essentially give you some extra time but yeah, minoxidil on its own won't cut it

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
very slow thinning and receding? i think yeah maybe its worth using alone. i also have slow thinning and receding, have been using for 2 1/2 years and im still easily above baseline. i know its probably ineviable that at some point i wont be, but ill still have more hair, probably far more hair, than i would otherwise.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the problem with both minoxidil AND finasteride is that they do not deal with the actual cause of male pattern baldness. They deal with factors but the underlying cause is there. I can only hypothesize what that is but it is definitely not just DHT and whatever minoxidil does (which is not certain). There definitely seems to be scalp changes that precipitate DHT becoming a problem in the first place. To answer your question, if you have true male pattern baldness then minoxidil could buy you time but alone it will not stave it off forever (finasteride is the same). It usually works really well for people who either do not have male pattern baldness or have very little of the underlying issues that lead to male pattern baldness such as fibrosis and scalp structural changes that may be responsible for the proceeding inflammation.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think the problem with both minoxidil AND finasteride is that they do not deal with the actual cause of male pattern baldness. They deal with factors but the underlying cause is there. I can only hypothesize what that is but it is definitely not just DHT and whatever minoxidil does (which is not certain). There definitely seems to be scalp changes that precipitate DHT becoming a problem in the first place. To answer your question, if you have true male pattern baldness then minoxidil could buy you time but alone it will not stave it off forever (finasteride is the same). It usually works really well for people who either do not have male pattern baldness or have very little of the underlying issues that lead to male pattern baldness such as fibrosis and scalp structural changes that may be responsible for the proceeding inflammation.

Anyone that says DHT is not an actual cause of male pattern baldness is delusional, and probably thinks the world if flat. The amount of evidence that male pattern baldness is largely an androgen mediated disease is almost indisputable at this point. Every guy on an AA that maintains hair is living proof of this.
Almost every treatment in medicine treats what we know about at the time. Later on as we unravel more other treatments will address those new underlying factors. Yes its probably something besides DHT, but right now we dont know any better.

abcdefg

Reaction score
you will regret this

When people ask why do so many men not treat male pattern baldness its usually this line of thinking. I never tried it despite knowing about finasteride for the last 10 years, and I got a prescription for it like 6 years ago. I decided against it, and its not a wrong decision to live with male pattern baldness over a life long drug

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
When people ask why do so many men not treat male pattern baldness its usually this line of thinking. I never tried it despite knowing about finasteride for the last 10 years, and I got a prescription for it like 6 years ago. I decided against it, and its not a wrong decision to live with male pattern baldness over a life long drug

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone that says DHT is not an actual cause of male pattern baldness is delusional, and probably thinks the world if flat. The amount of evidence that male pattern baldness is largely an androgen mediated disease is almost indisputable at this point. Every guy on an AA that maintains hair is living proof of this.
Almost every treatment in medicine treats what we know about at the time. Later on as we unravel more other treatments will address those new underlying factors. Yes its probably something besides DHT, but right now we dont know any better.

While DHT is a factor in male pattern baldness the evidence that shows it is not THE factor is overwhelming. I compare it to people saying bacteria is what CAUSES acne. Yes, if there was absolutely no bacteria on the skin then a person may not develope acne however it is the skin's environment that leads to the acne just like the scalp's environment that leads to DHT becoming a problem. There is no evidence that men who bald have higher DHT than men who do not just like there is no evidence that people who have acne have higher bacteria levels. But the skins environment causes an inflammatory environment with the bacteria causing acne so Accutane solves the environment problem. The scalp's environment causes DHT and other inflammatory chemicals to be a problem in male pattern baldness. All we have is Propecia though which is the equivalent of having antibiotics in acne. Totally lackluster treatment and you have to take it for life! Yet you guys tout it like some great achievement.

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
It's worth trying Minoxidil. Thinning hair (as opposed to recession) is where it works best. Yes, it might lose its effectiveness in time, but the same can be said of Finasteride