Considering stopping Minoxidil looking for alternatives

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm long time hair loss sufferer and I've been using Minoxidil 5% for several years. I also take yeast supplements which I think have helped with maintenance.
I've also seen significant benefits from doing some scalp massages (by myself) for stimulation (feels like Minoxidil works better in combination).
However I'm writing today in order to ask for advice about stopping Minoxidil. This is because its effect is far from satisfactory, the little hair it gives looks like sh*t and I've had it with all the dandruff and greasy scalp it causes (hope it goes away if I stop). Still, I don't wish to go full bald so I was thinking about replacing Minoxidil with something else.
I know minoxidil shouldn't be stopped cold turkey and think I'll gradually taper it off, but I'm not sure what I can start using instead of it. I was thinking about topical finasteride (I never wanted to use oral for fear of side effects) but I'm not sure how I can get it in france or if someone can recommend a specific product ?
I would also be very grateful for advice about other possible alternatives to consider. Preferably with no risk of scalp irritation.

Thanks

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm long time hair loss sufferer and I've been using Minoxidil 5% for several years. I also take yeast supplements which I think have helped with maintenance.
I've also seen significant benefits from doing some scalp massages (by myself) for stimulation (feels like Minoxidil works better in combination).
However I'm writing today in order to ask for advice about stopping Minoxidil. This is because its effect is far from satisfactory, the little hair it gives looks like sh*t and I've had it with all the dandruff and greasy scalp it causes (hope it goes away if I stop). Still, I don't wish to go full bald so I was thinking about replacing Minoxidil with something else.
I know minoxidil should be stopped cold turkey and think I'll gradually taper it off, but I'm not sure what I can start using instead of it. I was thinking about topical finasteride (I never wanted to use oral for fear of side effects) but I'm not sure how I can get it in france or if someone can recommend a specific product ?
I would also be very grateful for advice about other possible alternatives to consider. Preferably with no risk of scalp irritation.

Thanks
Never use oral from fear of side effects dont be stupid bro. Topical finasteride goes systemic easily.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never use oral from fear of side effects dont be stupid bro. Topical finasteride goes systemic easily.
Well I didn't know, thanks for telling me. Does that mean that minoxidil easily goes systemic too ? Because I hear oral minoxidil may be more effective (and probably wouldn't grease hair) but it can cause some cardiac side effects.

Is there any product you would recommend to replace minoxidil ?

Thanks

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I didn't know, thanks for telling me. Does that mean that minoxidil easily goes systemic too ? Because I hear oral minoxidil may be more effective (and probably wouldn't grease hair) but it can cause some cardiac side effects.

Is there any product you would recommend to replace minoxidil ?

Thanks
Oral minoxidil low dose is fine. 2.5mg is ok to use.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil low dose is fine. 2.5mg is ok to use.
Ok so how do you get your oral minoxidil ? Can you just buy it somewhere or do you need to get a prescription for Lonoten ? (I guess 5mg and cutting tablets in half)

I'm also considering to use Revivogen's Scalp therapy, can anyone provide feedback on it ?

Thanks

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so how do you get your oral minoxidil ? Can you just buy it somewhere or do you need to get a prescription for Lonoten ? (I guess 5mg and cutting tablets in half)

I'm also considering to use Revivogen's Scalp therapy, can anyone provide feedback on it ?

Thanks
U can buy tablets from minoxidil express if ur in Europe they send from UK. I have ordered all kinds of sh*t from them and never had an issue with payment or delivery. I dont buy oral minoxidil from them cause I use my topical min formula orally by dropping 2 drops in a capsule twice a day and swallow.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure what topical minoxidil you have but mine has propylene glycol and ethanol so I don't think I can swallow it like you do. About the dose, you mentioned 2.5 mg, is that what you take ? Also do you mean 2.5mg daily or twice a day ?

Thanks again

rrbelloff

Reaction score
I have used OM for quite a while. For me, it has been WAY more effective than topical M, which did essentially nothing for me.

The general approach is to start with a very low dose and move up if you don't see any side effects. The first side effect I saw was a heavy increase in my beard: grows faster and thicker. It is pretty surprising.

Other sides you may see: Weight gain due to water retention. I gained about 4 lbs. Also, you MAY get heart palps. The older you are, the more likely you MAY get those.

My advice: Start low, say 1.25 MG and increase no more than in two week intervals IF you want to. Many studies show that that dose will work and the risk of side effects is lessened. . Good luck.

Check out this link for more: https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/oral-minoxidil-top-10

rrbelloff

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure what topical minoxidil you have but mine has propylene glycol and ethanol so I don't think I can swallow it like you do. About the dose, you mentioned 2.5 mg, is that what you take ? Also do you mean 2.5mg daily or twice a day ?

Thanks again
I can't think of a worse idea than swallowing topical minoxidil.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used OM for quite a while. For me, it has been WAY more effective than topical M, which did essentially nothing for me.

The general approach is to start with a very low dose and move up if you don't see any side effects. The first side effect I saw was a heavy increase in my beard: grows faster and thicker. It is pretty surprising.

Other sides you may see: Weight gain due to water retention. I gained about 4 lbs. Also, you MAY get heart palps. The older you are, the more likely you MAY get those.

My advice: Start low, say 1.25 MG and increase no more than in two week intervals IF you want to. Many studies show that that dose will work and the risk of side effects is lessened. . Good luck.

Check out this link for more: https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/oral-minoxidil-top-10
Hello and thanks a lot for your input. Unfortunately I'm having second thoughts about using oral minoxidil because I don't really like having a lot of body hair and beard. I just want the hair on top ...
I think I'll try revivogen scalp therapy as an alternative to minoxidil. Other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also switched from topical to oral minoxidil. Topical did basically nothing for me.
Oral also didnt change my hair but i know its doing something because i got some more hair on my knees for instance.
I was afraid that i would also get more hair all over my body but it has been quite okay. A bit more on my hands.
Its so much easier than rubbing it on my scalp.
Sometimes during summer, when it gets really hot, I have to lower the dose because my blood pressure is too low.
I'll notice this during some high intensity sports outdoors.
Besides that, I doubted about using finasteride for two years. Looking back at it. Total waste of time.
Totally wished I jumped on finasteride much much earlier. Lost so much hair because of these 2 years.
Now using Dutasteride, no sides.
If you're looking for a topical minoxidil alternative: PGF2alpha and PGE2 might be something to look at, also topical cetrizine.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also switched from topical to oral minoxidil. Topical did basically nothing for me.
Oral also didnt change my hair but i know its doing something because i got some more hair on my knees for instance.
I was afraid that i would also get more hair all over my body but it has been quite okay. A bit more on my hands.
Sometimes during summer, when it gets really hot, I have to lower the dose because my blood pressure is too low.
Besides that, I doubted about using finasteride for two years. Looking back at it. Total waste of time.
Totally wished I jumped on finasteride much much earlier. Lost so much hair because of these 2 years.
If you're looking for a topical minoxidil alternative: PGF2alpha and PGE2 might be something to look at, also topical cetrizine.
Hello and thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what dose you use for oral minoxidil ?

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what dose you use for oral minoxidil ?
Im currently using something between 3 and 5mg twice daily. In summertime, 5mg twice daily will be a bit too much for me so I lower it again to 2,5mg twice daily. I use a syringe and use the topical version. It has ethanol, propyleneglycol and purified water as ingredients so it's drinkable. My doctor was okay with it when I told her. She checked my blood pressure and it was perfect at the time of the checkup. Always good to speak to a doctor first before starting oral minoxidil because it can have a profound effect.

notmuchleft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I might give oral minoxidil a shot after all. I've tried skipping a few topical minoxidil uses and I clearly notice my scalp is stiffer when I do it. Also Regenepure seems to have a different action mechanism so it's unlikely to replace minoxidil in its job. I considered cetirizine but the studies I found suggest it's significantly less effective than minoxidil and I could only find it as a cream which would have to be frequently washed off.
What bothers me most with topical minoxidil is the flaking it gives me ... I guess I'll try replacing some topical uses with 1.25mg oral and see how it goes.

Thanks again

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lucky u. dutasteride didnt work for my hair and gave me ejaculation disorder.

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to get any suggestions on alternatives too, thanks for the thread here! What about some meds like those from BidRx.com for example? Have you ever used anything like that? I would like to get any tips or recommendations from you here, thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Massaging the scalp definitely helps as they recommend massaging your scalp when rubbing it in to stimulate blood flow. For me I got a bit lazy with Rogaine and sometimes went for days forgetting to put it on. I notice back of my hair was getting worse, so now I apply once every night and it's thickened up. So if you don't like using straight minoxidil (I've never tried it) maybe Rogaine foam is a better alternative. As I said, I only use it once a day and seems to work fine, also lasts double the time period it's supposed to.

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Last edited: