Considering stopping minoxidil due to bloating

sacrophax

Reaction score
Guys, I am seriously considering this, but could you please answer a few questions to help me decide please.

1. Does minoxidil even slow down hair loss, or just promote the growth of new smaller fuzzy hairs?

I have had 0 new growth so perhaps I have always been a non responder and am wasting my time!?

2. Are there any other ways to tell if it's actually slowed down the loss at all? to check whether I am a non-responder.

I have some sides, such as facial hair growth in weird places, and some bloating, which is why I want to end this thing. Guess i can have sides without any positive effect...

3. If it turns out that it did slow it down a bit, how long till I lose the hairs it had saved after I stop using it?

4. If I start noticing a big shed, can I start taking it again and immediately end the shed, or is it too late!?

So yes, if the shed is too large, im considering going back on and perhaps ignoring the sides.. I just really don't think its helping me, my hair has still been slowly thinning in the past 18 months I used it! If I have always been a non responder then surely there will be no shed.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Another perhaps important piece of information I forgot. I had no initial shed when I started using it, perhaps that's a sign that I am a non responder.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Yes, Minoxidil helps to slow down hair loss, and when used in conjunction with a DHT inhibitor, can stop hair loss and promote new hair growth. If you've been using Minoxidil and at four months there hasn't been any change in improvement, it's most likely you don't respond to the medication and is recommended to simply quit the treatment altogether since there's no point in continuing.

2. If you noticed less hair fall, then Minoxidil is/was helping.

3. It depends on how aggressive your Androgenetic Alopecia is, the more aggressive the faster you lose hair and larger the area of loss.

4. If you start noticing a big shed, then it's recommended to start using Minoxidil again as soon as possible.

----

If you're not on a DHT inhibitor such as Dutasteride or Finasteride, it's recommended to start taking one so hair loss doesn't keep getting worse in the long term.

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Well apparently the sulfotransferase activity in your follicles is a good predictor of minoxidil response. Unfortunately a widely available test isn't currently available but is apparently in the works. But it may be possible to currently get it tested in an independent lab.

sacrophax

Reaction score
Thanks.
Ill try without it for a month, and make updates here if I notice any shedding or reduction of the sides gentlemen.

sacrophax

Reaction score
Guys, I am seriously considering this, but could you please answer a few questions to help me decide please.

1. Does minoxidil even slow down hair loss, or just promote the growth of new smaller fuzzy hairs?

I have had 0 new growth so perhaps I have always been a non responder and am wasting my time!?

2. Are there any other ways to tell if it's actually slowed down the loss at all? to check whether I am a non-responder.

I have some sides, such as facial hair growth in weird places, and some bloating, which is why I want to end this thing. Guess i can have sides without any positive effect...

3. If it turns out that it did slow it down a bit, how long till I lose the hairs it had saved after I stop using it?

4. If I start noticing a big shed, can I start taking it again and immediately end the shed, or is it too late!?

So yes, if the shed is too large, im considering going back on and perhaps ignoring the sides.. I just really don't think its helping me, my hair has still been slowly thinning in the past 18 months I used it! If I have always been a non responder then surely there will be no shed.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Another perhaps important piece of information I forgot. I had no initial shed when I started using it, perhaps that's a sign that I am a non responder.

NO difference noticed after 2 weeks of non-use

location1

Reaction score
I remember trying minoxidil several years ago and getting no results and a lot of side effects. minoxidil is a dirty drug in my book.