Considering Shaving My Head To See If I'm Actually Thinning.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Before anything, I want to make it clear that I'm not a troll or whatsoever. I've been struggling mentally with that hair loss thing since end of 2018, when I started paying attention to my shedding and my temples. I even posted here last year to get an opinion about my right temple, but I ended up finding that it was always like it is now.

That discover relieved me a bit, but then I started paying a lot more attention to my cowlick, or crown, you name it. Even though I have a long hair, the day after I shower the cowlick becomes visible. Only through styling I can ''hide it''. But it appears to lack hair there, on top. Also, I can't part my hair in any other way, because of the damn cowlick. I am attaching pictures below.

Before comparing me to Alexander Shenton or Sisid, I would like to talk more about my shedding. I always wash my hair every other day, and since I remember my shedding was up to 100, conditioning + combing on this same day. I never comb it or brush it in the days between because it knots easily. However, lately my shedding has increased. The last time I counted I stopped at 155, even though there were a lot more. It was probably close to 200 that day. So depressing. And it's been like that for weeks. I can't spot density change, but that number is certainly alarming. Because I part my hair like the photo, I can feel that the right side of my hair is less volumous than the other. I mean, that part is not even in the middle, or the right, or the left. It just lays there when I comb.

I don't have any bald relatives in my family. My father is nw1, my mom's dad is also a nw1, probably nw0 and my uncle is probably a nw2.5, but his lifestyle doesn't help. There are other pictures attached and I would like an opinion from you guys. I went to a derm last year but he didn't do anything, when I said I was obsessing over hair loss the only thing he did was prescribing finasteride and minoxidil. He said that my scalp was too greasy and then prescribed. I tried to zoom the area that bothers me most, which appears to be thinning/thin. There are photos from 2018-2020. My hair used to be wavy as hell, and appeared to be a thicker.

Unfortunately, I don't have older pics from my hair as I never liked taking photos. But I have been with a long hair since 2014. Trim sometimes. I'll let these pictures here and evaluate a few months later. If the shedding doesn't decrease, I'll cut it shorter or even shave.

Peace.

Last edited:

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
note: the second, third, fourth and seventh pictures were from this week.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not balding, shedding does not equal balding, check your thyroid levels, diminish stress levels, stop washing your hair daily with shampoos with sulfates and parabens to get rid of the oily scalp and most importantly stop obsessing and risking your health with unnecessary drugs.

FLightTL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Before anything, I want to make it clear that I'm not a troll or whatsoever. I've been struggling mentally with that hair loss thing since end of 2018, when I started paying attention to my shedding and my temples. I even posted here last year to get an opinion about my right temple, but I ended up finding that it was always like it is now.

That discover relieved me a bit, but then I started paying a lot more attention to my cowlick, or crown, you name it. Even though I have a long hair, the day after I shower the cowlick becomes visible. Only through styling I can ''hide it''. But it appears to lack hair there, on top. Also, I can't part my hair in any other way, because of the damn cowlick. I am attaching pictures below.

Before comparing me to Alexander Shenton or Sisid, I would like to talk more about my shedding. I always wash my hair every other day, and since I remember my shedding was up to 100, conditioning + combing on this same day. I never comb it or brush it in the days between because it knots easily. However, lately my shedding has increased. The last time I counted I stopped at 155, even though there were a lot more. It was probably close to 200 that day. So depressing. And it's been like that for weeks. I can't spot density change, but that number is certainly alarming. Because I part my hair like the photo, I can feel that the right side of my hair is less volumous than the other. I mean, that part is not even in the middle, or the right, or the left. It just lays there when I comb.

I don't have any bald relatives in my family. My father is nw1, my mom's dad is also a nw1, probably nw0 and my uncle is probably a nw2.5, but his lifestyle doesn't help. There are other pictures attached and I would like an opinion from you guys. I went to a derm last year but he didn't do anything, when I said I was obsessing over hair loss the only thing he did was prescribing finasteride and minoxidil. He said that my scalp was too greasy and then prescribed. I tried to zoom the area that bothers me most, which appears to be thinning/thin. There are photos from 2018-2020. My hair used to be wavy as hell, and appeared to be a thicker.

Unfortunately, I don't have older pics from my hair as I never liked taking photos. But I have been with a long hair since 2014. Trim sometimes. I'll let these pictures here and evaluate a few months later. If the shedding doesn't decrease, I'll cut it shorter or even shave.

Peace.

You look great!

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try to look for small, colorless hair strands on your head. Take macro photos, and if you spot too many (like I did) then thats a sign of male pattern baldness. Also look for tapering shedded hair strands. You can also compare the thickness of individual hair strands from the top of your head to the ones from the back of your head.
Diffuse thinning is hard to spot with general hair pics.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try to look for small, colorless hair strands on your head. Take macro photos, and if you spot too many (like I did) then thats a sign of male pattern baldness. Also look for tapering shedded hair strands. You can also compare the thickness of individual hair strands from the top of your head to the ones from the back of your head.
Diffuse thinning is hard to spot with general hair pics.
I try to zoom with my smartphone but its camera isn't good enough. However, with an effort I can spot the baby hairs but I'm not sure whether they're thin or not. I wonder if they start growing thinner than the others around them and then get thicker

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not balding, shedding does not equal balding, check your thyroid levels, diminish stress levels, stop washing your hair daily with shampoos with sulfates and parabens to get rid of the oily scalp and most importantly stop obsessing and risking your health with unnecessary drugs.
Hi, thanks for your response. Still, I haven't taken any drugs yet. When the derm I went prescribed I found it quite fishy because he barely looked at my scalp. Detail: he prescribed me to buy the medicine on his drugstore

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your response. Still, I haven't taken any drugs yet. When the derm I went prescribed I found it quite fishy because he barely looked at my scalp. Detail: he prescribed me to buy the medicine on his drugstore

Yeah that's how most of them are, i had a few experiences also, they just looked with the magnifying glass a little and prescribe a lot of useless sh*t from their pharmacies, they have a pattern. I would not stress you really have great hair but if you are really obsessing over it go get a trichology test that could show clearly any signs of miniaturization that the human eye could never spot, especially since you have such dense hair...