Considering Propecia - Will it help with receding hairline?

a.cocuzza5

Reaction score
Hi All,

So after years of vowing never to use Propecia (due to fear of side effects), I am finally considering the possibility of adding it to my regimen.

A little background on my history with battling hair loss... I am 23 years old and first began receding at the age of 17/18 years old. I took action pretty quickly and started testing out different shampoos/etc. etc. I've been on a consistent regimen for about 2 years now which consists of Rogaine Foam, Topical spironolactone (although I will be stopping spironolactone soon due to skepticism of its effectiveness), Nizoral, and Revita Shampoo and Conditioner (I also take a multivitamin & fish oil DAILY).

For the most part, my hair loss has stabilized with the exception of my damn hairline which continues to thin/recede. Based on your experience/knowledge, I was wondering if Propecia could offer me any solace and help thicken & restore my hairline. What is everyone's experience with side effects? I just went over the clinical trials, and only about 1% of people experienced adverse effects (the loss of libido/ED, etc.) -- so I'm a bit skeptical of all of the negative reviews out there. At the same time though, I don't want to jeopardize my body's health for a drug that would offer no benefit to my hairline.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 9,694
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 8,169
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 18,025

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
nothing is garunteed for the hairline but its possible. It helped my temple/frontal and slight hair loss areas when I was on it.

Valiant

Established Member
Reaction score
I think Propecia will likely halt aggressive recession but it won't fill in that much. The clinical studies on finasteride are not limited to the FDA's approval of Propecia. There are other studies that show much higher occurrences of sides. My advice to anyone who is not on Propecia is to not get on it. Use the topicals, make sure your vitamin D and B12 are not deficient, and hit the gym. You will likely not get sides, but I would not take the chance.

Reaction score
I think Propecia will likely halt aggressive recession but it won't fill in that much. The clinical studies on finasteride are not limited to the FDA's approval of Propecia. There are other studies that show much higher occurrences of sides. My advice to anyone who is not on Propecia is to not get on it. Use the topicals, make sure your vitamin D and B12 are not deficient, and hit the gym. You will likely not get sides, but I would not take the chance.

This advice is reckless at best. See a dermatologist and have him monitor you while you take it. It's the best treatment there is; don't be fear-mongered away from it.

a.cocuzza5

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick responses.

@ Valiant - interesting point about hitting the gym. Aside from the psychological benefits, I've read that exercise can actually inhibit the DHT production in your body. Any validity to this statement?

Also, has anyone had any success with beta sitosterol (herbal alternative to finasteride apparently)? From what I've read on these forums, most people are against using this or Saw Palmetto and simply think they are useless. At the same time though, I know that many Doctors even recommend taking beta sitosterol or saw palmetto for prostate health (my 60 yr old Dad takes SP daily), so it MUST have some anti-DHT benefit.

Valiant

Established Member
Reaction score
OP, I am not fear-mongering here. I got freaked out and quit it and could not adjust. It hit me like a pile of bricks.

I have never seen data to show that working out will lower DHT. It can increast T, though, especially weightlifting. Beta S and SP compete for the receptor sites that DHT binds to so while it does not lower DHT like finasteride or dutasteride, it does have some impact on the prostate. There are posts on this site about it for hairloss. I have never seen a study that shows it to be that effective.

The last person that you want to have monitor you if you opt for finasteride is a derm. If you want to be monitored when you take it, find a competent GP who treats athletes or an anti-aging Doctor.

I think my advice is the opposite of "reckless." At least what I understand reckless means.

Best of luck with your decision. Like I said earlier, you will probably not get sides, as most people don't.

donyell

Reaction score
Bruhv there is no substitute for an AA, you need one in your regimen or you are doomed.

Seeing as your hairline is the only place you need a boost, you should consider RU. It targets the hairline better than finasteride. Perhaps go to your Doctor and get some blood tests and start on a low dose of finasteride and work your way up. Do one of these two things or better yet both! (obviously both will equal higher chance of sides)

a.cocuzza5

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with RU, all I know is that it blocks the receptor sites like spironolactone but is much more effective. I also have read that it is damn near impossible to get. I've been on spironolactone for about a year and its hard to say whether it has had any impact or not, so at this point I'm leading towards a pill solution like finasteride.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Does anyone know if its less expensive to get Proscar or Generic finasteride? I've read both are just as effective as Propecia, but cost much less.

Thanks again, everybody.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had TONS of regrowth but none on the hairline. Almost zero effect but everyone is different.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Propecia helps but I think its a pretty good guess that the hairline/temples are the most androgen sensitive and propecia is not a perfect AA. So I think long term a lot of men still slowly lose ground just because IMO propecia is not strong enough to completely halt front/temples

Richardson44

My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia definetly does work on a receding hairline. Just not as effective. But it's perfect for maintaining your hairline.
prorec.png

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
mirin my first post on the forum " is it normal if your temple are still receding after 15 month of propecia "
and will be even worse