Considering Hair System - 18 Yrs Old

James33625

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 18 years old and have been on Finasteride (2.5mg) for about 8-9 months now and applying minoxidil twice a day, and while my overall density has improved a lot, my recession is still progressing. Which is why I'm considering a system..

I don't usually have my hairline exposed anyways, so if I had a minor fringe (meaning no exposed hairline) would it be completely undetectable? (human hair too, obviously)

I'm just worried about it looking too fake, or someone noticing it. I'm fine with the price financially as it's something that I spend so much time thinking about and think this would make things much simpler. I'm alright with the ongoing maintenance- it would be preferable to this minoxidil twice a day and the pill, anyways.

edit: currently my recession isn't that noticeable due to my hairstyle, but it's a complete pain in the *** to do it every morning and applying toppik. I just want to get a system so no one notices the transition (assuming it could be truly undetectable without an exposed hairline.

Sam18

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are better to tackle this now than later. If I had made the transition when I was in my early 20's nobody would have noticed. Waiting until your hair has got much worse makes it much more challenging to make the transition without everyone noticing which is the position I find myself in. Thankfully I am quite thick skinned (if only I was thick haired!) so I don't really overthink this. The embarrassment of being caught out by those who don't know does play on my mind but hopefully that wont happen. I also think it's a much healthier route than taking medication that can have serious side effects, especially at your age. If you have a non-exposed hairline I think the possibility of being caught out is much less.

I also believe in the next 5-20 years that systems will become much more common and accepted as part of society. If I were you I would get off the medication now, spend a few months doing nothing but research and preparing yourself for the mental challenge of wearing which imo is the biggest part. Watch MyHairExperience on Youtube, read all the threads you can find here, speak to different Salons to work out who you feel comfortable with and then take the plunge. Just know you are not alone and others out there feel exactly the same!

Best of luck!

James33625

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are better to tackle this now than later. If I had made the transition when I was in my early 20's nobody would have noticed. Waiting until your hair has got much worse makes it much more challenging to make the transition without everyone noticing which is the position I find myself in. Thankfully I am quite thick skinned (if only I was thick haired!) so I don't really overthink this. The embarrassment of being caught out by those who don't know does play on my mind but hopefully that wont happen. I also think it's a much healthier route than taking medication that can have serious side effects, especially at your age. If you have a non-exposed hairline I think the possibility of being caught out is much less.

I also believe in the next 5-20 years that systems will become much more common and accepted as part of society. If I were you I would get off the medication now, spend a few months doing nothing but research and preparing yourself for the mental challenge of wearing which imo is the biggest part. Watch MyHairExperience on Youtube, read all the threads you can find here, speak to different Salons to work out who you feel comfortable with and then take the plunge. Just know you are not alone and others out there feel exactly the same!

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your comment!!! I totally agree with what you're saying and have just been going through his channel, it really does look amazing.

Tomorrow I'm going to book in a consultation with a local hair salon that does them and see what they can do.

Noah

Reaction score
I agree with everything Sam has said. If you know you are going to be heading down the system route at some point, there are clear advantages to doing it early while you can still make an imperceptible transition.

And yes, if you buy a decent quality system, are conservative about the density and the hairline contour, don't opt for a fully-exposed hairline, get a good cut-in, and keep up the maintenance, it will be pretty much 100% undetectable to the sight.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Think this through carefully, the system route will always be available, your own hair won't. Since you're only 18 it may take away a lot of your freedom, like you won't be backpacking with your homies for 3 months straight.

My advice to you would be to get a partial system that covers the recession. This way you'll get a nice introduction to the whole prosses while still having the freedom to drop it whenever.