Considering Going On A Low Dose Of Oral Minoxidil

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've been using dutasteride for the last five years, and while it has completely stopped my hair loss and appears to have restored all of the loss I'd experienced from my crown area, it has not restored my strongly receded temples (although it has given me a little bit of temple regrowth). I'm considering starting a low dose of oral minixidil to try to help restore my temple loss. I'm thinking maybe 1.25mg a day (a quarter of a 5mg tablet). I was using topical minoxidil for a year or so just on my temple area, but I found it hard to be consistent with it, and I didn't notice it making much difference, so I eventually gave it up. I'm aware that oral minoxidil can potentially have serious side-effects, which is why I want to take a low dose. I would be very grateful if any of you could share your opinions and experiences regarding the safety and efficacy of oral minoxidil, and if you could suggest a dose that is relatively safe to take (assuming there is such a dose). Thanks.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Start low and work your way up, 1.25mg seems like a good starting place, check your BP if you can, i can take 20mg at night and be fine but someone like georgie barely tolerates 2.5mg. All depends on the individual.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ever considered getting a hair transplant?
I have considered a transplant, but its a little outside my budget at the moment. I'm also aware that it is a very permanent thing, and it is necessary to think carefully about going for a transplant. I'm keeping it as an option for the future though. I think I'd like to give oral minoxidil a try first as others on here appear to have had success using it.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start low and work your way up, 1.25mg seems like a good starting place, check your BP if you can, i can take 20mg at night and be fine but someone like georgie barely tolerates 2.5mg. All depends on the individual.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you experienced any sides from taking 20mg each night? Has it given you regrowth?