Considering Frontal Hair Piece - Anxious Longtime Lurker

Haircare69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been lurking this forum for some time reading up on your experiences and opinions. I’ve found myself increasingly tempted to try a hair piece system but just struggled to make that last jump to purchase.
It’s got to the point where I have nothing to lose (apart from a few £££) and I’m going to try the lord hair stock frontal hair piece system. I’m hoping this will suit my needs as I’m just trying to add a bit more volume to my receded areas, I’m not trying to create a brand new hairline just more coverage in those spots and as natural looking as possible.

I’ve added some pictures below to show the current state of my hair, excuse the mess it’s well overdue a cut! Also a picture of the type of style I’d like to go with, is this a realistic goal with my considerable recession in those areas?
Any and all advice much appreciate.
Many Thanks

434BB33F-B635-45DC-B1B2-1EBBA8516877.png

5CEC083B-5AAE-4586-BC3B-91203DF2F4CF.png

C26C18F8-79A2-4FA9-9982-160E9497F118.png

AE9103E7-94F8-4784-871E-21CBFC7265ED.png

1A25432A-B415-4F9C-92F8-5CB8E7092030.jpeg

1CC8EB34-2B30-4C83-9EF2-B548DDEE8B55.png

5185D246-0A2A-43C9-AB23-21F1B7F25615.png

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The first 3 pics are not the ideal result tbh
It is possible to get the desired hair with a better thought out and made piece.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a piece to lower my hairline, have you considered recession pieces?, this way you could expose your current hairline. In some ways i think shaving and using a larger piece might give a better look (not necessarily more realistic but it gives more style options), but I've been wearing for 15 years and still haven't shaved for a larger piece. :D

Just something to consider before you shave it off.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you order a premade system, and just use the front part, you will indeed be making a new hairline. You will need to go far enough back so you can shave the areas that are receding.

No reason why you can't do a brushed-back style.

Haircare69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apologies I may not have been clear, any pictures are of my own un-styled hair. I do not currently use any hair systems. Thanks

Haircare69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a piece to lower my hairline, have you considered recession pieces?, this way you could expose your current hairline. In some ways i think shaving and using a larger piece might give a better look (not necessarily more realistic but it gives more style options), but I've been wearing for 15 years and still haven't shaved for a larger piece. :D

Just something to consider before you shave it off.

this is the system I was considering, is this the type you are referring to? If not are you able to provide a link? Many thanks

Attachments

• 7CC8FAAA-19FB-4F11-9EE4-A9F132D6DDED.png
    7CC8FAAA-19FB-4F11-9EE4-A9F132D6DDED.png
    260 KB · Views: 110

Haircare69

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you order a premade system, and just use the front part, you will indeed be making a new hairline. You will need to go far enough back so you can shave the areas that are receding.

No reason why you can't do a brushed-back style.

thanks for the advice. If possible I wanted to try and avoid shaving any areas to maintain as much of my natural hair as possible. I’ve linked the system I’m considering above, I wasn’t sure if it would be possible to cut that to shape to give more volume to my troublesome areas whilst blending into my natural hair and not looking massively out of place?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I just cut the piece i want from a larger piece....this way i get lots of pieces out of 1 system, so I only have to order once a year or every 18 months, which keeps the cost down.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just cut the piece i want from a larger piece....this way i get lots of pieces out of 1 system, so I only have to order once a year or every 18 months, which keeps the cost down.
Except once you cut out the hairline, you don't have a suitable hairline for a brushed back style.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. If possible I wanted to try and avoid shaving any areas to maintain as much of my natural hair as possible. I’ve linked the system I’m considering above, I wasn’t sure if it would be possible to cut that to shape to give more volume to my troublesome areas whilst blending into my natural hair and not looking massively out of place?
Unfortunately, that won't work. If you don't shave at least some of the thinning hair, the transition won't look natural, especially with the chose hairstyle. You have quite a deep recession going on. The photo you supplied is for a rather straight hairline, that is one you could do, but you really want to use ONE piece and not TWO. In that case, you will need to shave at least an inch back, also, you will need to have someone do the initial attachment and cutting the base for you because, given the shape, it will be quite complicated.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Except once you cut out the hairline, you don't have a suitable hairline for a brushed back style.
Mines freestyle and the piece i cut out is small means I can pretty much use the whole piece. Obviously everyones different and depends on various things like how big the piece you cut out, the style, how much hair you have, even the shape of your head etc...

But maybe to start you could get a custom piece just for the hairline and see how you get on.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mines freestyle and the piece i cut out is small means I can pretty much use the whole piece. Obviously everyones different and depends on various things like how big the piece you cut out, the style, how much hair you have, even the shape of your head etc...

But maybe to start you could get a custom piece just for the hairline and see how you get on.
It's probably not worth it, since the minimum size is 40 square inches, and they will charge almost the same price as a full size. Better to get a stock unit and cut, and see how it goes.