Considering Dutasteride After 4 Years Of Finasteride

George7

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been on the forums for years, but never that active. Probably started to thin when I was about 24. Now I am approaching 33. I did not do anything until I panicked and got myself a prescription for Finasteride the summer of 2016. I have held on quite good. I can't really say if my hairline has changed. Unfortunately, I started to late, so my right side is receded, and my hairline is uneven. I am considering a transplant to fix this, but my crown is also thin. I have held on quite well but feel that my crown may continue to thin and I would also like a boost in regrowth. I am also using a Keto shampoo 3 times per week. I never used minoxidil since I have issues with scalp psoriasis. I went to a dermatologist 2 weeks ago and he was of the impression I should not make the switch due to increased risk of side effects since I had most of my hair. I hate worrying about my hair. I was waiting for shiseido to see what that could do, but I am giving up on new treatments. I want to do what I can to maintain and thicken my hair and go for a transplant.

For those of you that have made the switch. I have some questions?

1. Did you get side effects on dutasteride, but not with finasteride?

2. Did your hair improve? If so where? Crown, hairline or overall?

3. Was it worth it? I am considering continuing with finasteride every day and add dutasteride 2 times per
week since that seems to work for some and due to dutasteride’s long half-life.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Duta is not for regrowth. Some do get regrowth, but it is very rare. You only have minoxidil (other than more powerful drugs) to have a chance to get some decent regrowth.

You said you're maintaining on finasteride. Excellent! Dont change anything when it comes to finasteride. I really advise you to stay on finasteride. Dont switch until it is necessary. Dont let greed destroy you, as it did to others here. @Calikid

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah if you are maintaining with finasteirde don't bother with dutasteride, use topical or low dose oral minoxidil. If you aren't seeing regrowth from finasteride then you are not a super amazing responder like some are to it, it's unlikely things will improve on dutasteride. I switched to duta because i wasn't maintaining on fina, if i was i wouldn't have made the switch to duta. Side effects for me are the same as finasteride except orgasms are weaker.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah if you are maintaining with finasteirde don't bother with dutasteride, use topical or low dose oral minoxidil. If you aren't seeing regrowth from finasteride then you are not a super amazing responder like some are to it, it's unlikely things will improve on dutasteride. I switched to duta because i wasn't maintaining on fina, if i was i wouldn't have made the switch to duta. Side effects for me are the same as finasteride except orgasms are weaker.
And which are those sides?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride did jack sh*t for me (then again I waited too damn long to address my hair loss). I also regret not starting Duta right away and pretty much what @Derelict said; side effects are mostly the same with the sole exception being orgasming, which is pretty "meh" aka weaker

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback bro. The thing is I haven’t maintained. It has gotten a little worse. I shed 200-300 hair a day and have been for a year and half. I can comb out 150-200 hairs in 3 minutes. I’m about to jump up to 2.5mg finasteride from 1.25mg

crown does look the same which is good. I cover up the thinning well.

1st- about 2 years ago
2nd -today
3rd- about two years ago
4th-today
You have not maintained. However, for over two years, you have lost a bit, which is much better than not taking finasteride and perhaps loose much more in that same while.
You now know that duta is not for you. You're one of the people that respond better to finasteride than duta. (Or perhaps duta initiated a shed which you may have recovered from). How much time did you give duta?

George7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. All studies show that dutasteride is superior to finasteride both when it comes to maintaining and for regrowth. Reading the forums I see more stories about people losing their hairline on dutasteride. It may just be a shed before it comes back stronger. It seems almost impossible to lose hair on dutasteride based on the science. I had high hopes for shiseido, but all New treatment either fails or get postponed. I want to know I do all I can. My orgasms are weaker on finasteride also, but that is a small price to pay for hair.

George7

Reaction score
Shedding isn’t necessarily bad when on antiandrogens. They help with reversing miniaturization which you may very well have had all over without even knowing. I’m so tired of people saying “I’m on ten grams of avodart per day but I’m losing hair”. No you’re not. Everyone loses hair, you’re losing more because of what I said or maybe cycle is still disrupted. Maybe something of that nature. But I have NEVER seen a single person LOSE ground while on avodart. Avodart is a CASTRATING drug and since eliminating DHT early on DOES WORK, u can’t go and tell me you’re still losing hair, WHILE your hair thickness and texture improves. There might be a tiny tiny chance that the drug just gets rejected or perhaps the enzyme holds, who knows. That I can understand. But the drug working, giving you sides, and losing hair for years while being the same? I’d say you need to get slapped. You have amazing healthy hair. Be glad that your body somehow accepts and balances itself with this poison you’re taking because for many it’s not as good. Tits grow from week 1, d1ck falls from week 2, sperm is gone, others can’t even get out of bed. Antiandrogens may be poison but they DO work. For EVERYONE. Maybe not the same on speed or reversal capabilities but to anyone who catches it on early, they work WONDERS. Cut the bs.

Agree. I have not seen photos where People lose significant ground on dutasteride. I tjink the twins where one takes the drug and the other does not show how powerful antiandrogens work. I am not Calikid by the way that posted photos in the thread I started. I have no problems With the photos, but my Crown is worse than his. He has a normal swirl in those pohtos. I have a double crown so it would not look great even without hairloss, but minor hairloss looks really bad for me.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. All studies show that dutasteride is superior to finasteride both when it comes to maintaining and for regrowth. Reading the forums I see more stories about people losing their hairline on dutasteride. It may just be a shed before it comes back stronger. It seems almost impossible to lose hair on dutasteride based on the science. I had high hopes for shiseido, but all New treatment either fails or get postponed. I want to know I do all I can. My orgasms are weaker on finasteride also, but that is a small price to pay for hair.
Wrong. Some people still loose hair on duta. It eliminates DHT, however it increases T, which is also an androgen. If your hair follicles are "sensitive" enough, T alone can let hair loss to progress.
Also, my advice? Dont put hope in any upcoming treatment. Keep up with the news, but never put these in your plan against hair loss.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding isn’t necessarily bad when on antiandrogens. They help with reversing miniaturization which you may very well have had all over without even knowing. I’m so tired of people saying “I’m on ten grams of avodart per day but I’m losing hair”. No you’re not. Everyone loses hair, you’re losing more because of what I said or maybe cycle is still disrupted. Maybe something of that nature. But I have NEVER seen a single person LOSE ground while on avodart. Avodart is a CASTRATING drug and since eliminating DHT early on DOES WORK, u can’t go and tell me you’re still losing hair, WHILE your hair thickness and texture improves. There might be a tiny tiny chance that the drug just gets rejected or perhaps the enzyme holds, who knows. That I can understand. But the drug working, giving you sides, and losing hair for years while being the same? I’d say you need to get slapped. You have amazing healthy hair. Be glad that your body somehow accepts and balances itself with this poison you’re taking because for many it’s not as good. Tits grow from week 1, d1ck falls from week 2, sperm is gone, others can’t even get out of bed. Antiandrogens may be poison but they DO work. For EVERYONE. Maybe not the same on speed or reversal capabilities but to anyone who catches it on early, they work WONDERS. Cut the bs.
This guy is full of sh*t... hoping that no one believes a word of it. Many people still lose hair on dutasteride because hair loss is also caused by testosterone. Dutasteride almost completely prevents the conversion of T to DHT but that leaves far more T, which continues the balding process where DHT left of. The strongest reasonable and easily available regimen is dutasteride, with RU to protect the front. Also oral minoxidil could be added