considering braces...

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
im 26 and strongly considering braces. i was told ill need them for 20 to 24 months. do i dare get them, when quite possibly the next two years are the last two years i can somewhat hide my thinning? i cant imagine having braces and thinning hair is attractive to the opposite sex. should i go through with it?

(i wasnt sure where this thread should go, so i figured this was the best place for it)

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Get braces.. shave your head and get buff. You'll look hardcore, yet be somewhat "geeky"..

it'll be an odd mixture that'll get you noticed for all the right reasons!

CCS

Reaction score
get invisiline. They are a clear plastic brace, and only work on mild crooked teeth. If your teeth are very crooked, the braces won't hurt, since your teeth will repell women even without braces.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
get invisiline. They are a clear plastic brace, and only work on mild crooked teeth. If your teeth are very crooked, the braces won't hurt, since your teeth will repell women even without braces.

i can get invisiline on the top only - i have too much of an overbite and may bite through them on the bottom :(

jeffsss

Reaction score
btp11 said:
collegechemistrystudent said:

i can get invisiline on the top only - i have too much of an overbite and may bite through them on the bottom :(

isnt the top more important?

i dobut very many people would even know you had braces on your bottom.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that teeth are much more permanant than your thinning hair (for now at least). Take care of them! They are certainly important.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
update on this - i just got the invisalign (now i know how to spell it) this week.... i HIGHLY recommend them for anyone considering braces. you cant even tell they are on! you can take them out whenever you want....its a delight, considering how bad it could have been. i have to wear 32 sets of trays for 3 weeks each...well, 32 on top, 16 on the bottom. its amazing to look at the future trays ill be wearing and see how straight my teeth will be.

just thought id top for anyone else who may be in my situation....

G

hey btp,

i thought you couldn't get it for your bottom? was your overbite not as bad as you thought?

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
hey btp,

i thought you couldn't get it for your bottom? was your overbite not as bad as you thought?

you know, i read that just now, and i have no idea what i was saying...i think it was talking about clear metal braces...i guess the clear metal ones are weak....again, not sure what i was thinking...i think i asked my dentist who just cleans my teeth, and he gave me some bad info.

i was at the orthodontist's back in sept, and they were showing me the metal stuff....i mentioned invisalign (which at the time i thought was the name for clear braces). they didnt even mention it as an option until i brought it up. same price as regular braces, and they work almost as well (the dentist said ill have an A+ in regards to straightness, but only a B+/A- in correcting my overbite). i mean, im 27 now - i could give two shits about a B+ overbite if i get to wear what amounts to clear braces.

ive had them in since thursday - no pain, just minimal soreness and just overall getting used to it. i take them out whenever i eat, then just brush my teeth and put them back in. the technology is amazing...the orthodontist even logged into his "invisalign account" and there were my teeth, digitally re-created in 3d....he played me a slide show and showed how my teeth will adjust with each tray.

3 days later, im still in utter amazement of the whole process. i cant fathom why anyone would voluntarily get regular braces anymore...

G

btp,

your thread has inspired me to back to my orthodontist to get my retainer adjusted. i wore braces for 2 years in high school and a retainer for a year afterward, and i was supposed to then wear it every night for the rest of my life to hold the teeth in place. i haven't worn it in 3-4 years, and fortunately my teeth haven't moved much if at all. maybe a tiny bit. hopefully he can just adjust the one i have but if not a new one is only 4 or 500 bucks and i'll just buy it and wear it diligently. i'm not going to throw the hard work of wearing the braces down the drain.

edit: i guess they have moved a tiny bit so i might need a new one. but it's only a slight bite.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
btp,

your thread has inspired me to back to my orthodontist to get my retainer adjusted. i wore braces for 2 years in high school and a retainer for a year afterward, and i was supposed to then wear it every night for the rest of my life to hold the teeth in place. i haven't worn it in 3-4 years, and fortunately my teeth haven't moved much if at all. maybe a tiny bit. hopefully he can just adjust the one i have but if not a new one is only 4 or 500 bucks and i'll just buy it and wear it diligently. i'm not going to throw the hard work of wearing the braces down the drain.

good to hear! ive heard that they even make plastic (invisalign) retainers now....not sure if its true, but someone at work had mentioned it. good luck my man....

G

btp11 said:
JayMan said:
btp,

good to hear! ive heard that they even make plastic (invisalign) retainers now....not sure if its true, but someone at work had mentioned it. good luck my man....

thanks. i'm only going to wear it at night anyway but i will wear it every night, so they can give me the ugliest one ever and it won't matter haha, because no one else will see it.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
since this is the dental care thread -im getting my teeth whitend tommorrow

bling bling

vartex

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about getting invisalign.

How often are you required to go back to the orthodontist and do they give you all the sets in advance?

Edit: I also have an overbite...will the invisalign fix that as well?

Thanks

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
vartex said:
I'm also thinking about getting invisalign.

How often are you required to go back to the orthodontist and do they give you all the sets in advance?

Edit: I also have an overbite...will the invisalign fix that as well?

Thanks

i just got mine on thursday, and im not seeing him until april....every 9 weeks or so. i got everything in advance - the only reason i have to see him is that they have to do something to my teeth between certain trays...nothing that bad though. its pretty cool to look at the trays i will be wearing in 2 years and see how straight my teeth are going to be....

invisalign fixes an overbite, but not as well as regular braces. as i stated before, my orthodontist said that i will get a B+/A- correction in my overbite. metal braces are an A+. im willing to sacrifice that, especially in my mid 20s.

another cool thing is that the last week of each tray, i can even put bleaching agent in there and whiten my teeth while i wear them.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Jayman,

my bro had to get braces when he was a little younger and he only had to wear that retainer thingy for a year then he never had to wear it again.

I know of no one who has had to wear a retainer for the rest of their life. thats weird that u do.

G

blaze said:
Hey Jayman,

my bro had to get braces when he was a little younger and he only had to wear that retainer thingy for a year then he never had to wear it again.

I know of no one who has had to wear a retainer for the rest of their life. thats weird that u do.

i dunno i think he told that to all my siblings too because i guess teeth steadily move when they age? maybe your bro's teeth will move in time too and he'll wish he kept wearing it? i d unno.

i'm just gonna go see my ortho in march and bring my retainer which will prob have to be adjusted and see what he says.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Its good enough for tom cruise, dwight howard, brett farve, and terrell owens.. the invisible braces that is.

vartex

Reaction score
btp11 said:
i just got mine on thursday, and im not seeing him until april....every 9 weeks or so. i got everything in advance - the only reason i have to see him is that they have to do something to my teeth between certain trays...nothing that bad though. its pretty cool to look at the trays i will be wearing in 2 years and see how straight my teeth are going to be....

invisalign fixes an overbite, but not as well as regular braces. as i stated before, my orthodontist said that i will get a B+/A- correction in my overbite. metal braces are an A+. im willing to sacrifice that, especially in my mid 20s.

another cool thing is that the last week of each tray, i can even put bleaching agent in there and whiten my teeth while i wear them.

That is cool. The problem is I graduate next year and don't know what city I'll end up working in. I'd rather have the entire set with me at all times.

I don't have dental insurance. I heard the price range is within 5-6k and sometimes more. Is this right?

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
vartex said:
btp11 said:

That is cool. The problem is I graduate next year and don't know what city I'll end up working in. I'd rather have the entire set with me at all times.

I don't have dental insurance. I heard the price range is within 5-6k and sometimes more. Is this right?

they will give you the entire set at once. the problem is, that dentist has to see you, because he has to adjust things every few visits.

if i were you, id wait until you have a job...you can probably put money pre-tax into a 125 account or a health savings account....i dont have dental insurance either, but because i put my money in my 125 plan, im saving like 25% on the cost of the braces (which cost me $4600, i believe)....i saved myself $1000 by doing it that way. just a tip.