Will it work?

• Yes

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

paulquek90

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here, but I'd like to get an assessment on what you truly think of the possibility of success of Shiseido in curing baldness by 2018.

Do you think it is going to work, or is this just another classic case whereby we are let down in a year or two, with no more updates?

I'm just asking for a personal opinion.

Personally, I'm inclined to say yes. Not trying to sound like a racist, but it's Japan we're talking about. I have 1000x more faith in Asian people delivering success when they claim it than white people. No offense (I'm half-asian, half-white).

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like Replicel. A promising technology that will most likely be astronomically expensive for the first 10-20 years on the market. The problem with these technologies is similar to the hair transplant issue, hair will continue to fall out over time requiring multiple surgeries and great expense. The only benefit over traditional hair transplants (and it's a big one) is a potentially unlimited source of donor hair.
Definitely promising for the wealthy, but I'd rather research went into drugs and topicals capable of stimulating or restoring dormant miniature follicles to terminal hair producing follicles

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
I voted yes because Shiseido is a well known respected company and they've been developing this technique for over a decade. I think the worst possible scenario is they get 20% of the results they expect, but I don't think it will be that bad. Also Considering beauty standards in japan, I think japanese men put more energy into hair loss research than us.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm inclined to say yes. Not trying to sound like a racist, but it's Japan we're talking about. I have 1000x more faith in Asian people delivering success when they claim it than white people. No offense (I'm half-asian, half-white).
That's funny because the technology was developed by your average white Caucasian. Canadians, to be precise.

Also, as many seem not to have noticed:
This is not Shiseido technology. This is RepliCel's RCH-01 licensed by Shiseido.

folliman said:
I voted yes because Shiseido is a well known respected company and they've been developing this technique for over a decade
That's funny cause Shiseido haven't been developing it at all.

But I agree: I am quite certain that it works.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, and this isn't being racist, I'd have less faith in an Asian country than in a European or American company developing a cure. For one, it's a less prevalent issue there and people there don't seems to be affected until later in life.
For another thing, they often have a very bad corporate culture, progress is often needlessly slow and also slower to adopt (particularly Japan). As for China, it mostly just steals US and European technology! Not a huge amount of innovation going on there.

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have more faith in Japan reaching a cure first. male pattern baldness affects people much more harshly in Japan, Korea and China than in the west because abundant hair and crazy hairstyles is one of the main facial characteristics of the young asian man. If there is a cure, it will be (maybe not developed here) launched in of these 3 countries.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
In Japan you can't even buy rogaine really. There's a brand name version called Ri Up that's only 2% and something like $50 for one 60 ml bottle. I'd imagine people here are even less aware of finasteride and minoxidil than people in the west, since most can't read English so have less access to English language websites and information.

Jaym

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the point in other threads if people just arent going to read them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds a lot like Replicel. A promising technology that will most likely be astronomically expensive for the first 10-20 years on the market. The problem with these technologies is similar to the hair transplant issue, hair will continue to fall out over time requiring multiple surgeries and great expense. The only benefit over traditional hair transplants (and it's a big one) is a potentially unlimited source of donor hair.
Definitely promising for the wealthy, but I'd rather research went into drugs and topicals capable of stimulating or restoring dormant miniature follicles to terminal hair producing follicles

The whole selling point of RCH-01 is to make follicles DHT resistant. Like the main selling point of this technology is that. It is literally not even close to a hair transplant- if it works of course. They have hinted it could cost 5k or there about.

PLEASE refer to replicel thread and read.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
My mistake, I was confusing folicept and replicel.

Replicel will be hugely expensive and require multiple surgeries. Folicept doesn't appear to be particularly effective based on the photos so far, though they only go up until 10 weeks so maybe 1 year results would be better.

I would love it if Folicept/Shiseido actually worked on bald temples...

Jaym

Established Member
Reaction score
Whaaaa? Now I'm so confused haha. Replicel and shiseido are working together. The consensus is that you won't need multiple treatments and the replicel hinted that it could be around 3-5k. With there already 2 year delay just for the growth medium theybl also claimed they made the whole process more efficient. This is of course not set in stone which is why I think people should read the replicel threads and make an informed decision :).

logikmtr

Reaction score
And let's not forget the vacation to Japan. They have liter-sized beers and girls' undergarments in vending machines. They obviously have it on straight over there.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
This looks promising and certainly rallies some hope, but personally I wouldn't encourage anyone to fall into that trap atm until the technology is signed,sealed and satisfactorily delivered. It has been said that a little hope can carry the burdened heart further than no hope at all, however it does not mention which direction.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The consensus is that you won't need multiple treatments and the replicel hinted that it could be around 3-5k.
Can you please give sources/links for that? I've been following their publications closely, and until a few months ago they definitely said that multiple injection sessions definitely are an option. They are even testing that in their upcoming Phase 2b trials, so why would it be consensus that one won't need multiple treatments?

Also, where do you have that pricing information from? My numbers are much older, but also quite higher.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There was an article recently I read about how competitive it is for young men in Japan and other Asian countries when it comes to finding jobs. For them, youth and shiny hair was an absolute must in order to remain competitive. So I firmly believe they'll be the first to find a "cure".

Jaym

Established Member
Reaction score
There was an article recently I read about how competitive it is for young men in Japan and other Asian countries when it comes to finding jobs. For them, youth and shiny hair was an absolute must in order to remain competitive. So I firmly believe they'll be the first to find a "cure".

But replicel is Canadian and that is what's coming out 2018. If it is a cure then no Asian company found it.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Whaaaa? Now I'm so confused haha. Replicel and shiseido are working together. The consensus is that you won't need multiple treatments and the replicel hinted that it could be around 3-5k. With there already 2 year delay just for the growth medium theybl also claimed they made the whole process more efficient. This is of course not set in stone which is why I think people should read the replicel threads and make an informed decision :).

That would be an incredibly low price. Where did they say that? We need a source.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Can you please give sources/links for that? I've been following their publications closely, and until a few months ago they definitely said that multiple injection sessions definitely are an option. They are even testing that in their upcoming Phase 2b trials, so why would it be consensus that one won't need multiple treatments?

Also, where do you have that pricing information from? My numbers are much older, but also quite higher.

People have thrown that price around because that was apparently what they had estimated their tendinitis therapy pricing to be I believe... I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a number thrown out specifically for their hair loss treatment...

To me it's like those people saying this is only for maintenance... It's about to start phase 2 testing how the heck do you know if it's just for maintenance? They talk about regrowth on almost everything they've released! It's all just speculation that's somehow turned into facts.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
It only makes sense to make it more expensive than a hair transplant because they can. It's a lot of money to resign if they don't. I wouldn't blame them if they find a cure, they'd deserve it.