Confused about me restarting finasteride

luke_j

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started shedding slightly, and could notice my hair thinning. There is a huge history of male pattern baldness in my family, so I started taking finasteride.

I took it for about 6 months, and the shedding more or less stopped. I mean there used to be many hairs on my hands when shampooing, but when taking finasteride, there was very, very few. And I'd always notice hairs falling out on the floor, on my shirt, etc. but then it more or less stopped with taking finasteride

For certain reasons, I stopped taking finasteride for a while. Maybe 2 and a half months or so.

Then I restarted. About 4 months in from the restart, and my hairs are shedding a lot, and they're thinning quite a bit. I thought I would have had the same reaction as before, but now the opposite seems to be happening.

I realise that these are in fact the normal effects of finasteride; a noticeable shed, then the new, healthier hairs grow back. But it's just this reaction is so different from last time.

Has this happened to others, and is it anything to be concerned about? Does anyone know why my shedding stopped the first time, but now the opposite is happening this time?

Traxdata

Reaction score
When you take finasteride your hair will always go through a reorganisation period. meaning it will look a lot worse than before you started taking finasteride. I stopped for six months and I lost quite a bit.

Since I started things seem to being going back to normal. Just take it easy and things will settle. Then you hair will look better in time.

Good luck
Trax

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
I also went on a break from taking finasteride after using it for just about 3 years, and the break was for around 2 months also. Over those 2 months my hairline started thinning more rapidly so now I've gone back on it. I can let you know how things progress for me after a few months.

Traxdata, when you say that things seem to be going back to normal, does that mean that your hair is back to the way it was before you stopped taking finasteride?