Conflicting studies regarding minoxidils effectiveness??

paratroop82504

Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused by some of the conflicting studies that are posted on here regarding typical results with minoxidil. On this webpagethey cite a study from Germany where hair density was reduced after 3 months:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/Article223.php
Recently, some studies using a digital phototrichogram (Trichoscan, Marburg, Germany) proved that there was indeed a quantifiable increase in shedding and a corresponding loss of hair density in the first 3 months of minoxidil use. However, by the 6 month stage the subjects were shown to have regrown the lost hair and had increased hair density compared to that recorded at the start of treatment. By 12 months after starting minoxidil use their hair density was much improved and the diameter of the hair fibers was thicker than at the start of treatment and as compared to controls who did not receive treatment.

This conflicts with another commonly cited study where max hair weight was achieved after 16 weeks of minoxidil:
bjd47010.jpg

I'm right at 4 months on minoxidil and nizoral and 3 on finasteride and I am well below baseline. I only apply minoxidil at the hairline and frontal thrird. Most studies that I've read seem to show that if you are a responder then you should have positive haircounts by 4 months in. I can see a couple of new hairs growing at random places on the hairline and I have a decent amount of indeterminate hairs along the hairline but they provide no cosmetic value and as a whole I am still well below my baseline density. I almost quit minoxidil at 8 weeks before my hair became hooked on it but decided to ride it out as I started to see a couple indeterminate hairs at the hairline in addition to some new terminal growth (minimal) ~10 terminal hairs scatered throughout my hairline. I haven't really seen any other progress beyond that. In fact I've diffused accross my entire scalp a bit since then but I'm pretty sure that that's from the finasteride.

It also seems from antedotal evidence on here and other forums that most good responders have positive results very early on. In the packet that comes with it it says that you should know if you're a responder or not by 4 months. I do see a couple new hairs but overall I'm worse off than when I started so does that mean I'm a responder?