Conflicting ideas

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished high school. And now I have ample chance to buzz/shave my head and see what it looks like. I know i'll have to sooner or later- as my obsession with the wind has grown too much. I won't go out some days, other days I say I don't care but I always end up in front of a mirror somewhere. Whether it was in the school bathrooms, at work, at a friends bathroom, in a passing reflection.

The hair I see now looks good, compared to the original pictures I posted a while ago. But that's mostly thanks to Nanogen.

I have one week of exams, and then i'm back at work. And this is where my conflicting emotions are making me dreary. Despite working in a supermarket, I actually really enjoy it. I enjoy the people I work with the most.

There's no chance in hell i'm going to buzz my hair while i'm working. If it looks bad, I wouldn't turn up to work. I'm already down right now, and stares and comments from people that hadn't noticed anything before would definitely, well let's just say I wouldn't be able to handle it.

If, then, I didn't like it buzzed I would try and shave it. Now, if I was working- and it looked bad shaven aswell, then it would be even worse.

Plus, i'd need time to tan my scalp to the same level as my face. No way i'm going into work with a white scalp and a brown face. Esp. if I look sh*t like that.

So what am I doing?

Writing up my resignation, which i'm going to hand in next week. I get december, january, february all to myself before I start university. So I may-aswell freely try new things with my hair without fear of what people will think. Yes I am pretentiously up-myself, but only because I've had to watch my looks deteriorate, while observing all of my friends looking better, being able to style their hair in new ways.

Shaving my head, hopefully looking at least borderline okay, can do a few things for me. With my mind off my hair, I can focus on the other parts of my face and body. I'll be able to sleep better, and get rid of those horrible purple eye bags. I'll be working out, and drinking copious amounts of water. Hopefully this will clear my skin up. I'll be able to go out in the sun. I can tan even with sunscreen on.

Before I get people telling me that it's a stupid idea to quit my job over my hair, first read this. Yes I think it's a bit over the top. But it's better I leave now, and deal with my hair problems (which make up all the problems I have. Everything else in life is just fine). Rather then keep working there just because I "like" it and risk the chance of slowly deteriorating (growing my hair good enough to go to work, but not resitant enough to go out in the wind). No i'd rather take action in my own hands this time.

I have another job to go to anyway, that will keep me employed over the summer. I'll be working outdoors with my dad, pretty much full time until March. This should start in three weeks. Good thing is I have to wear a hat in that kind of work. So i'll still be working, dealing with my hair, without having to deal with people bringing me down when i'm too far down to realise that it mightn't look so bad.

My plan:

Finish my last exam on the 26th.
Finish work on the 2nd dec.
Buzz my hair. See how I like it. If I don't;
Shave my hair. See how I like it. If I don't;
Then i'll just have to deal with it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I don't think quitting your job is the best idea, but since you already have a job lined up, and it's with your dad, then I think you'll be okay.

Buzzing your hair can help make you feel free-- free from the wind, the brushes, etc...

It was really a feeling of freedom for me to buzz my hair.

I don't know how you'd look shaved, but I see how the buzz goes.

Definitely take EXCELLENT care of your scalp if you DO shave. I had an excellent website with skin help, but I've lost it. (I'll post it as soon as I find it)

If you go into college with the buzzed look, then you'll feel great about it a few years into college-- already having the look.

Goodluck Spec,

Aplunk

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think that if its really bothering you, specially like you worded it: "not resistant to going out in the wind"...Then maybe you should buzz it.

I recently cut my hair a nod shorter and it already feels better. I still have enough length to cover up and show a full head of hair. I know if I buzz it to a #1 my hairloss will look aparent. But since I can still hide hairloss to an extent I will not cut my hair any shorter, just short enough so I wont be dreading some wind or some sun. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
I shaved my head while I was sworking. I was a health inspector, I had to go to the beach in front of several people after I did it. Was I scared? Hell yes. But I didn't die. The worst someone can say is that it looks bad. Some people liked it on me, some people didn't

Give it a shot

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea...get yourself healthy and recharged. Also, this period between finishing school and starting uni is a good time to experiment with your hair...big chunks of free time start to disappear as you get older.

It's going to be difficult though...with a buzz you will be noticably bald/balding.

Goodluck

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
Skaff said:
I think it's a good idea...get yourself healthy and recharged. Also, this period between finishing school and starting uni is a good time to experiment with your hair...big chunks of free time start to disappear as you get older.

It's going to be difficult though...with a buzz you will be noticably bald/balding.

Goodluck

Es Tres' "Nanogen". In other words, there's no chance in hell i'm buzzing and not using Nanogen. The color I use right now blends perfectly with my root hair (which is a different color to the blonde that is on the tips). It will hide most of the thin-ness, enough to an extent that I can enjoy myself.

Also, i've had glandullar fever twice this year (it recurred) and i'm still suffering the after effects (getting eye infections, throat sores, coughs, running noses, head colds, headaches, hairloss maybe too to an extent). In so many ways I feel like sh*t. Medically, and now physically it's becoming apparant.

I need to rest. Do something to at least attempt to control my hair loss. There's really no point growing it out like I used too. I'm 18, I really want to enjoy the next 22+ years of my life, especially my early twenties. At least if it looks bad now, it won't slowly deteriorate along with my whole persona. Trust me. I have a huge personality inside me just waiting to burst out. To wake up one morning and give my nan a hug and tell her that I love her. To burst into my mates houses with a huge smile on my face, to come "out" and be an awesome role model for any other gay kids around. Right now i'm just too constricted in my situation.

I suppose I could do all of those things. But all of my energy is directed to my hair. Which sucks, for lack of a better term.

s.a.f

Reaction score
There's no simple answers to going bald at a young age. Good luck with it and remember people will soon get used to your new look.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
I resigned from my job last tuesday. I'm still there for another week though so mmmm yes. I'm feeling weird right now. Schools out, jobs almost gone.

For the first time ever in my life i've got absolutely nothing to do. (uni doesn't start till March and at this point that feels like miles away).

On monday I washed my hair for the first time in one week, to see how my hair was looking without nanogen. To my surprise, it looked better. I think that's partly to do with the fact that my hair is longer, but I swear there is an improvement from the horrid picture i posted 3.5 months ago.

The problem with using Nanogen like this, is that I was getting double-conflicting feelings when I was at work last week. Because my hair wasn't on my mind, I was enjoying myself. This made me a tad sad that i'd resigned.

But i've been through enough to know that if I hadn't resigned, I would break down one day and just not turn up to work.

Without nanogen yesterday was good. Mostly because I didn't go out. This is what i'm a bit scared of, that i'll be lulled into complacency, staying at home day after day, being lazy, not working out or excercising because I know deep down I don't have anyone to go out and look good for.

Today I got bored and began to analyse myself. I didn't like what I saw, but I can still confidently say my hair looks better, marginally, so I know that Proscar is doing it's thang for me, at least it has up until this point.

However my hair isn't pissing me off as much as my actual face is. The small pimples appearing everywhere are f*****g me off to no end, and the "pink eye" I have, as well as ugly eye bags and unshaven chin because of shaving pimples.

I'm almost ready to buzz my hair. I need to get rid of my acne, eye bags. One week of work left. Another thing is that I have conjunctivitis, and I need to get proper treatment for it because my left eye is kind of swolen. When I have less hair, more emphasis will go on my eyes, so they need to look perfect if I want to try and pull off a buzzed/shaved look.

Right now i'm on pins and needles. Schools out and everyone is making huge plans. I want to buy a video camera and a car. I want to go overseas for a holiday, and I can because I have the money for that. But something in me won't let me, because deep down I wonder how much money i'll need for "nanogen" and "proscar" and any other things i'll be getting in the future to deal with my hair.

f*****g hair loss.

I'd be having a blast right now if it wasn't for this sh*t.

Ah well.

I'm not as "angry" as some. I'm happy with my life on the whole. Just not this facet.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Spec,

I'm very glad to hear that you're finally seeing some results on finasteride. They're slow, but they will gradually become more and more noticeable. Congratulations.

You're in a GREAT position, Spec. Now is the time in your life when you actually HAVE time. Once you go to college, start your career, the years fly by... Really, time just sort of speeds up.

I think that you have the excellent opportunity to spend some time with yourself. Develop some new activities or lifestyles. Travel a little bit. Try something new and different. You're not going to get as many chances in college. New perspective, or introspection.

Since getting out of high school, I immediately started school and a full-time job. It was hell... and the bills became too high for me (high standards, I guess)-- which made me quit school.

You're not working right now! Take advantage of the time you have.

Seize the day!

Oh, and definitely get a digital camera. It's so worth it.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Spec,

I'm very glad to hear that you're finally seeing some results on finasteride. They're slow, but they will gradually become more and more noticeable. Congratulations.

You're in a GREAT position, Spec. Now is the time in your life when you actually HAVE time. Once you go to college, start your career, the years fly by... Really, time just sort of speeds up.

I think that you have the excellent opportunity to spend some time with yourself. Develop some new activities or lifestyles. Travel a little bit. Try something new and different. You're not going to get as many chances in college. New perspective, or introspection.

Since getting out of high school, I immediately started school and a full-time job. It was hell... and the bills became too high for me (high standards, I guess)-- which made me quit school.

You're not working right now! Take advantage of the time you have.

Seize the day!

Oh, and definitely get a digital camera. It's so worth it.

Thanks =]

I have this guy who keeps on nagging me to meet up with him. He's pretty good looking too, which puts me off a bit but what makes it more awkward is that he's a hair dresser. I really really really hate the irony my life imposes on me lol.

But despite that I think i'll meet him anyway.

I'm going out to the movies to see Borat with heaps of mates tomorrow so at least that'll get me out of the house. I plan on going without nanogen aswell. See how it goes.

Even though i've been more seculded these past few months, it's weird that I have all these people STILL trying to make contact with me, inviting me places etc. It's a really good feeling, makes me realise that my personality will hopefully always be one of my strong points.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey, Spec, How do you apply nanogen?? I´ve been using the stuff for three months and I haven´t yet perfected the technique!!

If I´m lucky the results are impressive, my hair looks like Tom Cruise´s, but better!! :lol:

...but I haven´t got a "standard" process and sometimes I can´t manage to apply it that good.

If I don´t use spray the nanogen flies away from my thinning spot. If I use too much spray it thins out the hair too much so it counter-effects the fullness added by the fibers...

It´s kind of difficult to do it well. I use it only in the crown, and very few nights, I sprinkle a little at the top. Also I don´t like the gelled/hair-spray look and I prefer natural, have you managed a way to make it look good??

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont use the locking mist spray (rip off) ordinary hairspray works just as well.
Ps I saw a post on another forum where a guy was wearing toppic at a nightclub and the lighting made it 'illuminate' !! Since nanogen fibres are practicly the same thing be wary.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
Solo said:
Hey, Spec, How do you apply nanogen?? I´ve been using the stuff for three months and I haven´t yet perfected the technique!!

If I´m lucky the results are impressive, my hair looks like Tom Cruise´s, but better!! :lol:

...but I haven´t got a "standard" process and sometimes I can´t manage to apply it that good.

If I don´t use spray the nanogen flies away from my thinning spot. If I use too much spray it thins out the hair too much so it counter-effects the fullness added by the fibers...

It´s kind of difficult to do it well. I use it only in the crown, and very few nights, I sprinkle a little at the top. Also I don´t like the gelled/hair-spray look and I prefer natural, have you managed a way to make it look good??

I just do nanogen the way I started out. Becuase I use it on my stupid thin spot between my hairline and the rest of my hair, it sprinkles in where I can see it in the mirror. From there I just "pat" it in with existing hair. Ultimately it doesn't give me heaps of density, since my hair is a bit long, in the sunlight you can tell im thinner around that area but it doesn't look as blatantly bad/obvious as it would if pink scalp is there.

The way to make it look "cool" hairsprayed depends on your hair type and length. Because my hair is wavy, it looks "cool" when I straighten it.

So, after allying nanogen and copious amounts of hairspray, I wait for it to dry. Then I get out my girlie hair straightning iron and straighten my hair-sprayed, nanogene-d hair up (spike it up). After that I apply more nanogen and if nescesary straighten it again to give that 'WOWOWOW' effect.

It ends up looking like this:
nanogen2.jpg

nanogen1.jpg

Funnily enough it looks heaps better in real life then it does with those webcam shots.

Keep in mind i've always always had an advanced nW2 hairline. It was natural, so to me personally, those pics are my hair at it's best.