Confessions of a Former Hair System Wearer

the wolfe

Reaction score
I'm 25 years old, and I have been using Hair club nearly 4 years. I finally decided to give it up, and it was the smartest decision I have ever made. So, I'd like to help so you don't make the same mistakes I had.

I began losing my hair in high school, and I was always uncomfortable with it. I went to Hair Club, at 21 years old, and they fed off of my (our) insecurites. I saw their results,and their massive client list, and I was impressed - so I joined. What they didn't tell me (and I'm sure this has all been posted before) are some of the most important considerations.
- I was never told that my entire top of my head would have to be shaved.
- I would be worried about going outside on a windy day.
- It felt like I was wearing a hat all day and night.
- I had to keep a mirror in my pocket to check the hairline, and blend to make sure it looked like 'real' hair - not neccessarily good, just real.
- I kept a distance when looking into a stove.
- I kept a hat in the car.
- I was afraid to let a woman run her fingers through my hair, or even stay the night.
- Swimming was pretty much no longer an option.
- The hair underneath the hair piece was under norished, and being mangled by the system itself.
- My bathroom was covered in adhesives and solvents.
- It was costing me $3000/year

Anyway, I finally got the courage to call it quits. I shaved my head, and I have never been happier, more confident or more secure. Maybe having to deal with the insecurities of "fake hair" for so long have given me the strength to deal with "no hair". This is a story I had heard multiple times, and I never believed it... but here I am preaching the same thing - because I know it to be true.

While Hair Club for men are hounds in their business practices, I don't think these concerns would be any different with any of the hair providers - seeing as you're still dealing with fake hair. Remember, you have to be happy with who you are, and having hair or no hair won't make a difference.

good luck...

RogerDoger

Reaction score
I think it's great that you have found a solution that works for you. But that isn't a realistic solution for many. I have been wearing hair systems for years - a wear a system from Farrell - and I know for sure that the daily tasks I have to perform to make myself look like myself is worth it in every way. As to whether every company is the same as Hair Club, it is very simple: You get what you pay for. I never worry that I can be caught wearing hair, because I've learned to do my hair right. I have lots of confidence in my system and my ability to do my front lace. As a professional who deals with the public, shaving my head is not an option, but even so, I would not do it. That's not how I'm supposed to look. We're supposed to have hair, to have balance in our appearance. The confidence my hair gives me is worth a lot and I'm lucky to be able to afford the best. Again, it is totally worth it. To shave or not to shave ... it's a decision that must be made by everyone ... but there are some serious downsides to shaving, too.

the wolfe said:
I'm 25 years old, and I have been using Hair club nearly 4 years. I finally decided to give it up, and it was the smartest decision I have ever made. So, I'd like to help so you don't make the same mistakes I had.

I began losing my hair in high school, and I was always uncomfortable with it. I went to Hair Club, at 21 years old, and they fed off of my (our) insecurites. I saw their results,and their massive client list, and I was impressed - so I joined. What they didn't tell me (and I'm sure this has all been posted before) are some of the most important considerations.
- I had to keep a mirror in my pocket to check the hairline, and blend to make sure it looked like 'real' hair - not neccessarily good, just real.
- I was afraid to let a woman run her fingers through my hair, or even stay the night.
- The hair underneath the hair piece was under norished, and being mangled by the system itself.

Anyway, I finally got the courage to call it quits. I shaved my head, and I have never been happier, more confident or more secure. Maybe having to deal with the insecurities of "fake hair" for so long have given me the strength to deal with "no hair". This is a story I had heard multiple times, and I never believed it... but here I am preaching the same thing - because I know it to be true.

While Hair Club for men are hounds in their business practices, I don't think these concerns would be any different with any of the hair providers - seeing as you're still dealing with fake hair. Remember, you have to be happy with who you are, and having hair or no hair won't make a difference.

good luck...

michael barry

Reaction score
The REAL problem with hair systems, good or bad

I used to use EXT at hair club for men. It was a scam of course and I lost more hair, quicker, than at anytime in my life. It was 1900 bucks a year also. Im a Norwood 3, a bit like the actor Jude Law in the hair department, receeded temples.

Sitting in the dark waiting room, I seen many men with hairpieces that I could usually (with a couple of exceptions) easily detect. The receeding sides of a mans head are the biggest cosmetic obstacle of hairpieces. Its incongruent not to at least have temporal recession to some extent when the hair in front of your ears has receeded. One gets the "too much hair for his face" effect.

The money and monthly or bi-monthly visits, and the smell arent the real problem for the single man however. The problem is as a single man looking, you are looking consciously or not, for certain physical and cosmetic qualities in a woman. Conversely, she is doing the same. A girl with a bald dad proboably is subconsciously looking for a man with strong hair as a matter of natural selection. She doenst want her offspring to be bald. Ive personally found its the women with literally a headfull of hair who dont seem to mind a guy with receeded temples like me as much as the women with oval hairlines, higher foreheads, and no widows peak who proboably carry the baldness gene.

But what if she doesnt notice? Well SHE IS GOING TO FIND OUT SOMETIME>>>>>>>you cant HIDE this after you are living together and she will proboably notice before then anyway. She is going to run her fingers through your hair at some point. What are you going to do, run?
She will be pissed if youve decieved her and she hasnt noticed (which honestly would be indicative of poor eyesite on her part-------spending time around a man with even a very good piece and you will spot it in a few days if you are close enough to have intimate conversations).

I take issue with "bald is not how we are supposed to look". Hey, GOD MADE SOME PEOPLE THIS WAY. I dont like it, but Im 5-10 and 200 when I wish I was 6-5 and 250, but Im not. Its not like a bald man has a birth defect. Half of us lose hair by 50, and some 75% do by age 70. Youre unique if you keep ALL of your hair. Buzz cuts and shaved heads are the dreaded fear of the hair replacement industry. If you look good with a buzz or a shave and like it, dont let ANYONE tell you that you need to "change your life" or "do something to help yourself". Screw em'

ndxb

Reaction score
RogerDoger said:
I think it's great that you have found a solution that works for you. But that isn't a realistic solution for many. I have been wearing hair systems for years - a wear a system from Farrell - and I know for sure that the daily tasks I have to perform to make myself look like myself is worth it in every way. As to whether every company is the same as Hair Club, it is very simple: You get what you pay for. I never worry that I can be caught wearing hair, because I've learned to do my hair right. I have lots of confidence in my system and my ability to do my front lace. As a professional who deals with the public, shaving my head is not an option, but even so, I would not do it. That's not how I'm supposed to look. We're supposed to have hair, to have balance in our appearance. The confidence my hair gives me is worth a lot and I'm lucky to be able to afford the best. Again, it is totally worth it. To shave or not to shave ... it's a decision that must be made by everyone ... but there are some serious downsides to shaving, too.

the wolfe said:

good luck...

Man, RodgerDoger you are sad!!! What crap to go through using super glue and adhesives - you are humans not peices of plastic.. and how can you live with yourself knowing that you are living a big lie.. you do not have that hair, it isnt yours! Its taped on for crying out loud. You are just deceiving everyone else and urself! Just shave your head and be at peace. Jeez, Id never get a hair piece.. but to each his own apparently!!

marven

Reaction score
the wolfe said:

good luck...

Hi - I am new here...I've been wearing a "piece" for 10 years now - ( I call it a "SYSTEM" to make myself feel better :oops: !!!)...i was searching for a "topical" solution b/c I was thinking of shaving my head cause frankly I am kinda of sick of wearing a piece, using tape, worrying about the hair lines, worrying if it looks fake etc...

Although I do confess that I feel much more confidant with it and I look better but I've been married for 8 years and my wife tells me that I can get rid of it if I lose some weight...I mean look at Jason Statham...the guy looks cool...

The whole thing is the courage to do it...again I'm not sure but I kinda dont see myself wearing a peice well into my 50's like William Shatner...I'm kinda half and half right now...I've just ordered a new system... :roll:

but thanks for the insight and props to you for having the courage!

M.

Brain123

Reaction score
ndxb said:
Man, RodgerDoger you are sad!!! What crap to go through using super glue and adhesives - you are humans not peices of plastic.. and how can you live with yourself knowing that you are living a big lie.. you do not have that hair, it isnt yours! Its taped on for crying out loud. You are just deceiving everyone else and urself! Just shave your head and be at peace. Jeez, Id never get a hair piece.. but to each his own apparently!!

Lol dude, if there's someone sad its you :roll:... Best of luck taking your medications & ur future breast growth :wink:. Its very unwise to judge people on their decisions.

Wolfe - I went thru your list and let me tell you, 90% of those issues could be avoided with a decent hairpiece/material & also alot cheaper.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I`ll be here when you come back

Everywhere you go in these online forums, you find people who were once clients of HCM (or other) who gave up and shaved it all off. Then, they feel compelled to tell everyone to follow their lead.
They always feel good for a while, usually a couple years or more.
Then, you see some of them come back, saying they are tired of shaving and looking like a skinhead with no options, day in and day out. Tired of the "baldy" jokes, tired of this, that, etc.

They see pics of Farrell wearers, they see my (awesome) pics or my video, they start asking questions about hairline transplants with a hairpiece behind it, they find out they can do their hair replacements themselves and get it to look way better than it did at HCM or any other salon for much less cost.
This is a never ending cycle. You may be happy now, and thats great, enjoy your moment, but think about it. 5 years from now. 15 years from now
You think you`ll be happy to live with that same old cueball everyday, for the rest of your life?
You`ll get curious. You`ll want to experiment.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
F**k minoxidil with retin a or propecia or msm or toppik or any of it...it helped shrink the bald spot in the back of my head but when i dyed my hair back to dark brown from bleach blond yesterday i saw it did nothing for my hair line...except make it ten times worse than when i started....when u think about the expenses of taking drugs-minoxidl propecia whatever....compared to a good looking hair system---i think its worth dishing out alittle more cash for the hair system...the results are real and who cares if the hair isnt real...i just wanna look good i dotn even care if people know its not my hair....im a good looking guy and im always complimented on my looks...its my hair thats crapppy...it doesnt match up with who i perceive myself to be and im sick of waiting for results with rogaine or anything else...im sick of taking drugs to get really minimal results and i dont look good with a shaved head-i have diffuse male pattern baldness h throughout my scalp when its shaved it looks even worse...im giving up all my treatments and in a month or 2 im going for a hair system im not gonna waste another year of my life with my family and friends being upset over my hair...im gonna get my system, itll look good(the good thing about being young is no one will suspect youre actually wearing a hair system) maybe not perfect, itll be a pain in the *** but you know what ive had enough of this treatment crap..if getting a hair system makes you feel good then do it, i just wish i hadnt shaved my head this week otherwise i would freaking get one by friday if it was up to me-im sick of this crap.. if you think youd have more confidence by wearing a hair system then you know what, NOT wearing one would be a lie to yourself and the public....your genes are not necessarily a reflection of who you really are...i perceive myself as a 24 year old who should have thick curly hair, my outer image is that of a guy whose scalp you can easily see though and that is not a reflection of the real me...looks arent everything but they are soemthing and hair loss isnt the worse thing out there but if it has gotten you down to the point where you find it hard to enjoy life anymore then you have to do something and thats where im at right now-its not just a matter of looking good to others..its a matter of doing it for yourself--i have a gorgeous partner, people always approach me in clubs, some people are even attracted to my thinning mane...I dont care I DONT like it, im doing this for me and no one else my bf said hed think i was gorgeous even if i didnt have a single hair on my head and i told him im doing this for me not him or anyone else (and yes, i am a guy in case you thought i was a balding chick for a minute lol)