conclusion I've come to about alcohol:

CCS

Reaction score
The more you drink, the happier you are, at least at the time. I drank 2 16oz Steel Reserves (8.1% alcohol), finishing my last sip about 30 minutes ago (2:25)(I can even subract 20 from 2:45 to correctly get 2:25, though I had to delete a few errors). From a call on my cell phone, when I started drinking, it was 12:35 (Science is not good if it can't be repeated. Never mind I am one person whose receptors are always changing.)

I had some other news but am trying to remember...

Oh yeah, now I remember. I used to think that you feel good when you are going up, but feel bad on alcohol when you are either going down or the rate of climb is slowing. Not 100% sure on this. This may give you a prediction on how happy you'd be if you accomplished your goals, though not necessarily how happy you'd be if you said at that level for a year (got to remember those brain receptor sites. What are they really? Just areas where if a molecule bumps into, it has some leverage?) But my original plan was to drink just one beer, and ride it out. Well, that was the plan, but I had a 6 pack of these, and felt the happiness wearing off too soon. So I grabbed another. Wow! I feel much happier now. For many simple math reason I won't try to explain, I doubt the rate of increase in receptor activity has increased from the second beer. I think just the absolute level of GABA receptor activity has increased (they discovered alcohol acts on the GABA receptor in 2005 or 2006. The solvent effects don't explain it at the right dose by other models).

I forgot where I was going with that thought. But my new question: does this prove I'd be very happy if my absolute success increased a lot, or does it just prove I would be happy if it went up a lot more in a short period of time? Or is it compared to our childhood success. Do we need to know every biochemical pathway to answer that question? Or is it compared to our expectations?

Place your bets:
Will CCS finish the 6 pack gradually over the rest of the day, or call it quits at 2 cans? Fall asleep at some point? Get work done since he has no anxiety about starting the work? Or just go to different forums spilling all? Not sure, but I feel it wearing off slightly...

CCS

Reaction score
Even if you answer that question, that is just the GABA recepter in the brain. How do other receptors react?

Do you think the best way for me to research this is to drink, or to go online and try to find studies where the scientists may have been bribed, or to go online while I'm drunk?

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Will CCS finish the 6 pack gradually over the rest of the day, or call it quits at 2 cans?

That's not even a challenge. Even at 8%, it's still easily doable.

2 weeks ago I had 7 beers in about 3 hours :innocent: .

After the first two beers my friend asked me if I wanted to drive, I initially said OK and I wasn't gonna drink more but then he stopped drinking as well, so there was no need for me to be sober and I got drunk :dunno:

CCS

Reaction score
virtuality said:
CCS said:
Will CCS finish the 6 pack gradually over the rest of the day, or call it quits at 2 cans?

That's not even a challenge. Even at 8%, it's still easily doable.

2 weeks ago I had 7 beers in about 3 hours :innocent: .

After the first two beers my friend asked me if I wanted to drive, I initially said OK and I wasn't gonna drink more but then he stopped drinking as well, so there was no need for me to be sober and I got drunk :dunno:

How old are you? When I was about 22 I drank at least 7 at once on a few occasions. Now I think that is pointless. A bottle of wine all at once is pretty intense.

On a side note, I think I have cautiousness ingrained in my personality. When I get drunk, I tend to worry about other people driving. I don't trust them if they have drank and I don't know how much. You tend to be one of the spontaneous free spirited types. Your true type comes out when you are overwhelmed by intoxicants. Boy can it come out strong.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
How old are you? When I was about 22 I drank at least 7 at once on a few occasions. Now I think that is pointless. A bottle of wine all at once is pretty intense.

I'm probably older than you...

When I was 22, I used to regularly drink 10 beers a night.. I'm not talking about US type beers, proper European beers.

It sounds like I'm showing off.. I'm not proud of it. If there was a time machine, I'd go back and tell the younger me not to drink so much.

I must confess that I still have the tendency to binge drink. I don't do it as often as I used to.

For me drinking is all about resetting the brain and killing a few brain cells, I just want to forget about life. I don't think alcohol is the solution :smack:

I might get a mortgage with my brother.. I've been thinking about it for some time. My bro has a house but my sister-in-law's commute takes too long. So, we are thinking of buying something closer to her place of work, and they will pay half the mortgage for the time being. In the long run, I'll be a home owner. It's made me think, and I don't want to think about it.. So tomorrow night I'm drinking :whistle:

If I can get a second income, I also want a brand new car, etc...

It's much easier to drive the old car and keep renting.... But then again I have to think about the future.

Cassin

Reaction score
CCS said:
Even if you answer that question, that is just the GABA recepter in the brain. How do other receptors react?

Do you think the best way for me to research this is to drink, or to go online and try to find studies where the scientists may have been bribed, or to go online while I'm drunk?

Did you ever get your chemistry degree?

CCS

Reaction score
cassin said:
CCS said:

Did you ever get your chemistry degree?

No, I dropped out. I still know chemistry though. I love chemistry, but a chemistry bachelors degree pays about $25,000 to start. Chemical engineering is more specialized and iffy. Every ad I found would not state how much they wanted to pay. So now I'm pursuing computer hardware, since there are stepping stone certificates, stepping stone jobs, and I don't have to pay for any tuition. Just tests and certificates until I get to the level I want. Well, I'll take a lab class right before my goal profession. I don't like computer hardware. Boring, not brain power needed. But that is where the money is for now it seems. Even if I did chemistry, there is no guarantee I'd be working on a project I like. I might as well just take the money and not be working around chemicals. I'm normally pretty scientific, but intoxicants get me considering that maybe dreams are me aware of another life.

Interesting. After the first can I wanted to drink more. After the second can, I felt good and just road it out. I'm about sober now. Even stranger is that a 24oz can, 4 drinks, is less than the 5 1/3 drinks I had right now. But I feel fine, at least for now. I'll have to start drinking water soon. Better to drink during the day so it does not mess with hormone production during sleep.

Do you think it would nice if you could remember all your dreams? I think it would be nice if I could remember all my good life events. I've been depressed before, but that is largely because I forgot about all the good times I've had. When I remember them, I feel fulfilled. Nice knowing I have time to make more. Still, remember a dream I had months ago or a year ago is pretty cool. I've had some strange dreams, and the emotions matched with images were an odd mix, but made it that much more interesting.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I had way too much to drink this weekend.

I had 5 beers on Thursday night, 4 beers on Friday night, and 5 beers last night. That's 14 500ml beers in 3 consecutive nights.

On top of that, I was drinking while driving last night, not drink driving :whistle: . I was under the limit when I was driving, but nevertheless, I drove 100-110km with a beer in my hand...

I didn't really want to drink that much, but I buckled under peer pressure... I'm old enough to say NO to peer pressure, but I don't think I'm mature enough :sobbing:

CCS

Reaction score
I've noticed that higher concentrations of alcohol, and more alcohol, feels good, and lower concentrations or amounts just don't feel as good. Maybe my last few times were just exceptional cases, but I see that as an indication I should stop early while it is easy to do so. I also noticed I have a bit of anxiety which I'm not sure if it was there as much before. I love how alcohol erases it, and that is one of the reasons I have an urge to drink. Then I realized my father used to be an alcoholic, and coincidentally has lots of anxiety. I think the alcohol caused it.

I also think most people who can't spell or use proper grammar probably did lots of drugs. Drugs affect the spelling ability of even very college educated people.

I also know that you can draw any line you want through a cloud of data points if you pick which points you want to use.

My roommates doctor told him if he takes Xanax for a year, his brain will adapt completely. Or maybe it was 2 years. I bet alcohol is the same. Both work on the GABA receptor. If you drink once a week, it will adapt do the time average dose.

I don't doubt people can drink a six pack a day and function well. My question is how well they can go a week without it. Some people think that after an hour per drink, the effects are over, and the brain is back to normal, unless someone is really a huge drinker. I doubt that. I'd like to know more. I think I can live just fine as an occasional drinker. I just wonder if I'd be 10% short of my potential by drinking twice a week.

Maybe I'll drink again. One activity I really like is journaling while intoxicated. I can write some very good poetic stuff. Not cheesy chliche poetry, but stuff that usually wows anyone I show it too, 2/3 because it is very philosophical.

Here is one of my journal entries, edited for spelling errors:

"I am forgetting something" is not just an English string of words or
piece of knowledge. It is a chemical emotion on the spectrum of
emotions our brain can experience, with variable magnitude, and is
made of components, just like color is made of primary colors, and
taste is made of 3 types of taste buds, and our brain perceives vision
as higher resolution than it actually is by darting our low resolution
eyes around and making fantastic calculations.

Do you have to be stupid to think that is interesting, or intelligent
to think that is interesting, or is it just a matter or taste? What
about to ask that question? When drunk people laugh at their own
jokes, does one have to be drunk or immature to think it is funny?

Later, while sober, I figured out the answers to those last questions.

CCS

Reaction score
Well, I know I said I quit drinking, but my roommate said he is not going to the gym tonight. So I had one of the 3 drink beers in the fridge. It only reaffirmed my decision to quit. It did not make me feel that good. I guess the feeling is interesting. Maybe by watching TV, my mind was not able to wander as much as it would otherwise, interfering with the buzz. Regardless, it shows that a high is not guaranteed when I drink, even from 3 drinks at 8.1%.

My friend does not want to quit though. He says it makes him happy. When he tries to quit, he is unhappy even at work, even 3 weeks later. He thinks it is not bad for his brain and just makes him a happier person. I think he mistakenly associates the withdrawal effects of it with sober life instead of putting the blame where it belongs. I think addiction can sneak up on people, and it really gets them when they forget what it was like to be sober before they started getting intoxicated. When they think their withdrawal period is how normal sober life feels, then of course they will go back. But then tolerance and dependence keep building.

HughJass

Reaction score
CCS said:
I think he mistakenly associates the withdrawal effects of it with sober life instead of putting the blame where it belongs.

Just out of interest, where do you believe the blame belongs?

CCS

Reaction score
The blame belongs to the formerly happy receptors in his brain being used to the drug being there. When it is no longer there, he is no longer happy. He thinks that is how all sober people feel. Many addicts who let addiction slowly sneak up on them over the years forgot what it was like to be sober. They just think that sobriety means anxiety or irritability, and intoxication means feeling good. They see it ridiculous that they should quit. Fact is, it takes a long time for the receptors to return to normal.

My theory:
(based on the fact that alcohol and other drugs temporarily destroy synapses ( the connections between brain cells), but rarely kill the brain cells themselves)

Drugs change the activity rate of the synapses by throwing switches that change how they fire, or affecting electrical stuff. If a neuron is overloaded by input, nor not getting enough, it changes its number synapses to other neurons, especially if the change is large and suddens, as during binge drinking or heavy drug use. When you take the drug away, you are left with far fewer synapses that no longer are getting their high load. It takes time for the brain to grow those back. But you don't get much change from light drinking, especially if it is infrequent. The brain takes time to adjust to stuff, but it is very adaptable.

So no one is going to comment on the CCS poetry/emotion definition in my last post? I thought it was cool.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm sober and I feel good. I handle life very well. I've tasted the buzz many time, but I don't feel the need to escape from normal life. The buzz is good, but so is life. I can understand if someone feels bad while sober, they would want to be buzzed all the time. But the brain just adapts.

Put in some ear plugs and sit next to some people who are talking. See how long it takes before you can hear them loud and clear as if you were not wearing them. My brain adapts very fast.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Alcohol is a depressant and even tho its good to have a few beers to unwind at the end of a stressful week drinking too much is bad especially if you are depressed. I only drink at weekends when out with my friends as i feel alcohol should be used in social situations and not when you're by yourself.

Happy new year :)

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Bald Dave said:
Alcohol is a depressant and even tho its good to have a few beers to unwind at the end of a stressful week drinking too much is bad especially if you are depressed. I only drink at weekends when out with my friends as i feel alcohol should be used in social situations and not when you're by yourself.

I'm with you there..

I was feeling a bit blue last week. I felt a bit lonely without a gf.. On NYE I drank two bottles of red wine and a few beers. Yesterday I was in bed till 5pm, I just couldn't get up. I felt emotionally sh*t.

I've been flirting with a few girls, one of them is coming over this weekend, I hope something happens... She's sort of implied that she wants a relationship, but I don't want a relationship with her, she's not mature enough for me.

oni

Reaction score
virtuality said:
Bald Dave said:

I'm with you there..

I was feeling a bit blue last week. I felt a bit lonely without a gf.. On NYE I drank two bottles of red wine and a few beers. Yesterday I was in bed till 5pm, I just couldn't get up. I felt emotionally sh*t.

I've been flirting with a few girls, one of them is coming over this weekend, I hope something happens... She's sort of implied that she wants a relationship, but I don't want a relationship with her, she's not mature enough for me.

If she is not mature enough.....................try aging her a bit..........

This one I have had in a cask for a few years..................still looks fresh!

306733_stock-photo-woman-on-wine-barrel.jpg

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
oni said:
If she is not mature enough.....................try aging her a bit..........

This one I have had in a cask for a few years..................still looks fresh!

:punk:

Well, she's actually 12 years younger than me and she behaves like 12 years younger than me as well. We've been flirting for some time, it's one of those situations that could go further, ie end up in bed. As I said, she's implied that she's looking for a relationship and I don't want a relationship with her, she'd piss me off. On the other hand, she's young, fun, good body, etc and I do like her.

Meanwhile, I'm having a strange week. On Monday, my manager was telling me that I should invite a few colleagues for a coffee, which would be an excuse to have a more personal chat with one of our female colleagues. Yesterday, one of the guys was telling me that I should meet his cousin, and today someone else was telling me that she has a colleague that I should meet.... I must be showing signs of desperation :whistle:

I've never done blind dates, but it might be a good idea with the rate I'm going. I do get some attention, but for one reason or another I don't do anything about it.

What's that got to do with alcohol?? Here's a confession, I've never had a first kiss or first time sex without alcohol.