Concerns With Getting A System And Travelling

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm currently planning on getting a system and practically about to pull the trigger. I've already done a consultation at a salon that does this. However, the one thing I'm hesitant about is that I'm in medical school and starting in July, I'm gonna be doing 1 month long rotations in different cities around the U.S. I wanted to get the deattachment/reattachment done initially at the salon before I try myself, but the fact that I'm gonna essentially be changing cities constantly for the next year makes it difficult. Also when I need to get a new installation done, I'm not sure how I'm gonna get that done if I have to keep switching cities and trying to find new salons. I thought about waiting until next year, but my hair is already in pretty poor shape, and with the rate its thinning, I honestly don't know if it'll be able to hold up for another year. Plus I actually wanna look decent at my graduation. Any advice in this situation?

Noah

Reaction score
You already know the answer. You need to learn how to do it yourself, so that you are independent and self-sufficient. Use the first month or two to see how the salons do it, and to educate yourself and get comfortable with the techniques. Then have a go at doing it yourself while you are still within reach of a salon which can correct your mistakes if you go wrong.

Honestly, it's really not that hard. You are gluing or taping a bit of netting or plastic film to a bare patch of skin on your head - what is so difficult about that? The only complicating factor is that we guys are not used to working on our own heads, looking in a mirror. The ladies do it every day. I guarantee you that within a month of doing it yourself you will be getting better results than the salon.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only things I will add is to go with a style that is easy to maintain. Something that when you remove the system, you can easily touch it up with a pair of clippers, so you don't need to find a stylist who can cut your hair with a system on your head.

Also, along the lines of style, if you chose something that conceals your hairline, you will have fewer issues of touch-ups, etc. I, for example, use only tape for bonding, and it makes clean-up, and attachment a breeze.

siuturiet

My Regimen
Reaction score
In fact, in medicine, the most important thing is the desire of the student and the desire to gain new knowledge

MaryMiller

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not all medical universities have such problems. My daughter has no problem with this since she is a caribbean medical student . It was a shock to me when she decided to become a doctor. Sometimes a child dreams of treating people from childhood and strives for this all his life. There are families where doctors become several generations in a row. It's very good when the elders help the younger ones. The profession of a doctor is a creative and rich in experience profession. This is a specialty that is as old as humanity has existed - one of the most ancient, the time of Hippocrates. This is one of the most rewarding specialties. Even if the doctor has a small salary, patients will always "feed" the benefactor.

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's honestly not that hard to install and remove. There are plenty of videos and tutorials on YouTube. Once you do it once, you'll get the hang of it pretty easy.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
agree with so much above. I was using a salon for like 7yrs.. and during covid and lockdowns i had no option but to learn how to do it all myself.. i am now fully self sufficient , i cut the hair on the new systems myself, cut all the bases and do all my own maintenance. Its not hard once you get the hand of it, i promise you. And i am saving a small fortune on paying someone else to do it. :)

Allantint

Reaction score
agree with so much above. I was using a salon for like 7yrs.. and during covid and lockdowns i had no option but to learn how to do it all myself.. i am now fully self sufficient , i cut the hair on the new systems myself, cut all the bases and do all my own maintenance. Its not hard once you get the hand of it, i promise you. And i am saving a small fortune on paying someone else to do it. :)
How did you learn to do the initial cut in and the maintenance cuts of your bio hair? Any tips or directions on where to learn this?

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here, do everything myself with a full cap wig - trim base, cut in on headstand and finish off on head, repairs to lace, cleaning, sewing in more hair, etc. Just buzz my little remaining bio hair once a month. Travelling is a breeze, just take a back up wig and some tape. You can buy glue remover at any hardware store.