Concerned Parent With 12 Year Old Boy Suffering From Alopecia

Ivor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

My boy is aged 12 and has Alopecia. He first breakout was three years ago with one small patch at the back of his head. This grew back and we didn't think any more about it.

About three months ago we noticed another patch which quickly grew to quite a large area. We have been using cream supplied by the doctor but he has developed more patches and this time over a shorter period of time. He now has around 5 - 6 patches at the back and side of his head but has quite a lot of hair at the front of his head.

His hair was quite long and was able to cover the one patch but as more appear its becoming more noticeable.

When do you think is a good time to shave his head ? or will this expose him even more.

My wife thinks its a bad idea but I'm not so sure. I myself suffer from male pattern baldness but at 42 it doesn't bother me and I keep the sides short.

any advice would be great.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

My boy is aged 12 and has Alopecia. He first breakout was three years ago with one small patch at the back of his head. This grew back and we didn't think any more about it.

About three months ago we noticed another patch which quickly grew to quite a large area. We have been using cream supplied by the doctor but he has developed more patches and this time over a shorter period of time. He now has around 5 - 6 patches at the back and side of his head but has quite a lot of hair at the front of his head.

His hair was quite long and was able to cover the one patch but as more appear its becoming more noticeable.

When do you think is a good time to shave his head ? or will this expose him even more.

My wife thinks its a bad idea but I'm not so sure. I myself suffer from male pattern baldness but at 42 it doesn't bother me and I keep the sides short.

any advice would be great.

I don't know if you came back here but i would try on Facebook Alopecia Areta group..they know a lot about children with aerate. is a private group so no one on your friend list will see you joined

its a great resource for chilrens treatments the goods vs bad experiences, wigs and other things.

Your son does not have a hereditary hair loss it sounds like its auto immune kind the Areata...so you should take him to a Dr to make sure he does not have any secondary auto immune issue AND they may be able to help you find the 'trigger' if its something he is reacting to.