Concerned About The Potential Neurological Side Effects Of Finasteride And If They're Permanent.

moodympb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here and was wondering as someone who’s been on it for 6 years (1mg - sometimes with large breaks cold turkey), I am 26 yrs old, turning 27 very soon. I am also aware this type of topic has been brought up on here countless times however my question may be a little more specific.

I have seen a bunch of the studies on finasteride and other 5ar inhibitors' reduction of the body's neurosteroids (i.e. allopregnanolone) and that this can lead to anywhere from adverse effects on neurogenesis and regeneration to perhaps increased incidences of anxiety/depression. I must admit I believe them at face value. I can’t say I have felt the full brunt of these cognitive effects or anything more than perhaps subtle changes in my memory and motivation. I have however developed an increased level of anxiety, especially when taking recreational substances (substances like marijuana are also known to negatively affect memory and I aim to reduce my consumption entirely). It could be my age, as I understand it mental health issues tend to sprout up on average in our mid 20's(?) My libido is definitely a little lower while on finasteride, but things like semen consistency and even morning wood, generally normalize for me after I'm consistent with the drug.

I truly appreciate and enjoy the hair benefits this drug has given me but neurological effects do terrify me to an extent. I also aim to take a blood test measuring various hormones etc, as this is something I unfortunately never did before being prescribed the drug.

I wanted to know if tapering off finasteride would in theory and/or in practice recover whatever reduced neurosteroid levels (ie allopregnanolone) the drug caused? I know many of the other debilitating side effects people report do resolve themselves after stopping finasteride, and I wanted to know if things like neurosteroid depletion would work similarly. This obviously doesn't include the numerous people who claim to suffer from PFS or persistent side effects (my heart truly feels for them), and as I understand it there may be some sort of link between PFS and neurosteroids? I am no expert on the endocrine system.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
During my 1 year of taking Finasteride I do not recall feeling any cognitive effects either, not even increased anxiety.

However, a couple of weeks after quitting I literally fell apart. Brain fog, completely numb dick, zero motivation, and a bunch of other sh*t just hit me out of nowhere.

Now it's been 4 years since quitting it. I am still not normal. I've used a lot of androgenic herbs and supplements and hormones in an attempt to fix myself. Most recently I am doing HCG injections and they seem to help. But, 4 years, still not normal. Obviously this doesn't happen to the majority of people. But if you're one of those unlucky ones to whom it's going to happen, I haven't seen much difference whether someone was tapering off vs just quitting cold turkey. The only way to know what's gonna happen is to stop taking the drug for a month or two and if after that time you are fine, you are probably safe from any long term effects.

The neurosteroid depletion is essentially a hallmark of PFS, and indicates that the person's 5AR activity did not in fact return to normal upon quitting the drug - or, more accurately, 5-AR activity in some parts of the body (mostly serum) has returned to normal, but 5AR1 in the central nervous system has severely crashed due to negative feedback upon discontinuing the drug. Unfortunately if it does happen, it can be extremely debilitating and there is no easy, clear-cut way to restore your 5-AR and AR activity back to normal. Some protocols are semi-effective, but nothing really works for everyone.

I would say that if you are currently doing fine and think you can tolerate whatever side effects you have, perhaps the best course of action is to continue taking it. The duration of taking it does not seem to increase the risk of developing long-lasting side effects, so if you stay on and decide to switch to a safer treatment in let's say 4-5 years, by that time there may be more knowledge about PFS and more treatment options available for those who develop it. Unless you really have a reason to quit right now, it seems more prudent to continue.

ABloke112

My Regimen
Reaction score
During my 1 year of taking Finasteride I do not recall feeling any cognitive effects either, not even increased anxiety.

However, a couple of weeks after quitting I literally fell apart. Brain fog, completely numb dick, zero motivation, and a bunch of other sh*t just hit me out of nowhere.

Now it's been 4 years since quitting it. I am still not normal. I've used a lot of androgenic herbs and supplements and hormones in an attempt to fix myself. Most recently I am doing HCG injections and they seem to help. But, 4 years, still not normal. Obviously this doesn't happen to the majority of people. But if you're one of those unlucky ones to whom it's going to happen, I haven't seen much difference whether someone was tapering off vs just quitting cold turkey. The only way to know what's gonna happen is to stop taking the drug for a month or two and if after that time you are fine, you are probably safe from any long term effects.

The neurosteroid depletion is essentially a hallmark of PFS, and indicates that the person's 5AR activity did not in fact return to normal upon quitting the drug - or, more accurately, 5-AR activity in some parts of the body (mostly serum) has returned to normal, but 5AR1 in the central nervous system has severely crashed due to negative feedback upon discontinuing the drug. Unfortunately if it does happen, it can be extremely debilitating and there is no easy, clear-cut way to restore your 5-AR and AR activity back to normal. Some protocols are semi-effective, but nothing really works for everyone.

I would say that if you are currently doing fine and think you can tolerate whatever side effects you have, perhaps the best course of action is to continue taking it. The duration of taking it does not seem to increase the risk of developing long-lasting side effects, so if you stay on and decide to switch to a safer treatment in let's say 4-5 years, by that time there may be more knowledge about PFS and more treatment options available for those who develop it. Unless you really have a reason to quit right now, it seems more prudent to continue.
Apologies for butting in on someones else thread, I just had a question about your experience if you don't mind. I am sorry for what happened to you, it sounds like it must be very difficult. I was just wondering if there was a reason you stopped relating to side effects? Were you concerned side effects would start and so stopped talking the drug? As I see a lot of people saying "most side effects are just placebos (or the opposite version, can't remember the word), but in your case that doesn't sounds like it.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apologies for butting in on someones else thread, I just had a question about your experience if you don't mind. I am sorry for what happened to you, it sounds like it must be very difficult. I was just wondering if there was a reason you stopped relating to side effects? Were you concerned side effects would start and so stopped talking the drug? As I see a lot of people saying "most side effects are just placebos (or the opposite version, can't remember the word), but in your case that doesn't sounds like it.

My main reason for quitting it was that I developed fatty growth and water retention around the nipples (initial stage of gynecomastia) which progressively got worse during the 1 year of taking it. That, and the fact that I kept losing hair on it which didn't really give me any reason to continue using it.

Considering the estrogenic side effects I got while taking it, and the long term consequences of 5-AR inhibition upon quitting, taking Finasteride was essentially a disaster in my case.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
or, more accurately, 5-AR activity in some parts of the body (mostly serum) has returned to normal, but 5AR1 in the central nervous system has severely crashed due to negative feedback upon discontinuing the drug.

There's no 5-ar of any kind in blood. Just saying.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My main reason for quitting it was that I developed fatty growth and water retention around the nipples (initial stage of gynecomastia) which progressively got worse during the 1 year of taking it.

Real gynecomastia is the growth of the mammary gland, it doesn't have anything to do with water retention or fat tissue. Have you done a mammography or ultrasound to check if it was a real gynecomastia?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no 5-ar of any kind in blood. Just saying.

Serum DHT is what I wanted to say.

Real gynecomastia is the growth of the mammary gland, it doesn't have anything to do with water retention or fat tissue. Have you done a mammography or ultrasound to check if it was a real gynecomastia?

I don't have any solid mass under the nipples, but they have stayed puffy and pointy after quitting the drug, showing there has been some permanent growth that I haven't been able to remove with letrozole, raloxifene, or dieting. Maybe it is 'lipomastia', but in any case, it doesn't seem like it will fully go away without surgery. It has definitely reduced in size since getting some of my 5-AR activity back, particularly since starting HCG. It may be largely a case of persistent hormonal imbalance after quitting the drug.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Serum DHT is what I wanted to say.

I don't have any solid mass under the nipples, but they have stayed puffy and pointy after quitting the drug, showing there has been some permanent growth that I haven't been able to remove with letrozole, raloxifene, or dieting. Maybe it is 'lipomastia', but in any case, it doesn't seem like it will fully go away without surgery. It has definitely reduced in size since getting some of my 5-AR activity back, particularly since starting HCG. It may be largely a case of persistent hormonal imbalance after quitting the drug.
If it's just fat under the tissue, wouldn't working out work?

jazz1

Reaction score
I been on the drug for over 10 years I’m fine, think positive is the way forward, mind over matter.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on reductase inhibitors since 1998 and I feel as though I probably do not share your concerns in terms of my cognitive abilities from what people tell me. I use medical marijuana all day and I find it to be a cognitive enhancer as well.

But if you are this worried and you struggle this much then you should see an endocrinologist or a psychiatrist immediately and not be seeking medical advice from random guys on a message board.

"I truly appreciate and enjoy the hair benefits this drug has given me...."

You don't have to apologize for going off finasteride either.

You pays your money your money and you takes your chances in life....

Good luck.

Last edited:

Hugh mellor

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on finasteride or dutasteride for about 3 years. Didnt really get many side effects that I knew of whilst on them but stopped as i wanted to have a baby. Felt great for a couple of weeks then started getting headaches and brain fog. The brain fog was bad. But for me going for some aerobic exercise helped massively and after a year I am pretty much back to normal. Thank god I'm not one of the unlucky ones.
But looking back on it, I can see that my memory was getting worse whilst on the drugs and now having read up on all the side effects (I didnt know when I was on it) I can see that I did suffer from some of the cognitive effects. But I can categorically say that I am feeling great now nearly 18 months on, both mentally and physically-in fact the best i have ever felt.
So to answer your question. Your cognitive decline that you may be experiencing on the drug wont necessarily continue indefinitely. But you should re evaluate whether you stay on the drug- it certainly does make your cognition any better and if your the type of guy that worries about it then you should definitely read up and make your mind up. 27 isnt a bad age to go bald so it's up to you. But either way i wouldn't stress, it will only make it worse. And under no uncertain circumstances should you go on propecia help. They are nut jobs and will try to convince you are a victim and no girl will ever love you again.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP never actually states that he is suffering from any cognitive decline linked to finasteride but you have to read carefully because the sentence jumps quickly to his excessive recreational drug and marijuana use and anxiety.

OP states that he read a bunch of articles and took them "at face value" without even considering the stochastic factors or the literature on placebo effects.

This sentence is particularly fatuous and means nothing:

"I can’t say I have felt the full brunt of these cognitive effects or anything more than perhaps subtle changes in my memory and motivation."

Oh yeah? You can't say anything at all. This is self-reporting which is scientifically worthless and you already stated that you have anxiety from drug use. Guess what causes subtle changes in memory and motivation? Drug use. Also notice how he slips "perhaps" which negates what follows as meaningless and untethered to anything in reality.

These conjecturing guys post all the time on Tressless because they love the attention of all of the other guys trying to urge them to stay the course or because they are passive-aggressive and want to instill doubt in others.

I don't bother any longer with them. They are a waste of everyone's time. These meds have been out for 30 years.

Last edited:

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I been on the drug for over 10 years I’m fine, think positive is the way forward, mind over matter.
This approach is too simplistic. There is always a dual relationship. Matter affects mind just as much as mind affects matter.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for 18 months now. Although I have not noticed any side complications, I do get Anxiety. I think it would be grossly mistaking to blame it on finasteride though.

Prior to finasteride but shortly after noticing male pattern baldness I was even worse off with Anxiety as I couldnt bear the thought of going bald.

My anxiety nowadays is definitely prevalent and it is definitely amplified by marijuana. I smoke heavily. Multiple times a day, probably an ounce every week or two. It’s definitely worse when you’re high but Ive noticed that it isn’t finasteride induced its weed induced. However, when the environment is nice and relaxing not even weed will make me anxious.

In all, I think PFS is just an oversensitivity to 5aR-reductase in which you’ll get a good idea for within a years time. Similar to how hairloss is an over sensitivity to DHT.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Everything in life has risks. I haven't had side effects on finasteride, but maybe I have, who knows. Some days I'm feeling down, feel like I have brain fog, but I had those days before I started finasteride too.

You can do things to minimize the chances though. Exercise regularly, eat healthy. Stimulate your mind more by reading, learning another language, turning off the TV and video games. It sounds simplistic but it really works.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
This approach is too simplistic. There is always a dual relationship. Matter affects mind just as much as mind affects matter.

I agree but the mind is a very powerful tool......