Complete Slow Down In Shedding From Finasteride

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I hopped on finasteride coming up on 2 months ago now, I was never shedding a crazy amount of hair 10-15 hairs approx each time I washed my hair (in sink so I could see the hair fall amount) and then 3-4 every time I applied minoxidil and they were pretty thick normal looking hairs. About 2 weeks in I noticed the hair fall nearly stop 1-2 really fine/light hairs when I wash and mostly none when I apply minoxidil. I'm thinking if I didn't get this dreaded shed everyone talks about is finasteride even working to regrow or will it just slow down or stop my original pre-finasteride shed?

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would kill to have 2 hair days. And you’re only on .25mg fina??

Not to pollute your thread but can I ask how long you initially shed on minoxidil?

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its been so long ago since i initially started minoxidil i cant remeber.... ive been on and off it a few times mt shedding got worse over time on it so i never knew if it was naturally more hair failling or if it was from minoxidil. I feel it did not help me as my hair got worse and i diffused at my crown to the point people were telling me was going thin...shortly after i hoped in fina lol

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not see why Finasteride would cause a shed after Minoxidil caused a shed since apparently they both shed telogen hairs...so if Minoxidil has been used for a long time, perhaps most hair is in Anagen and Finasteride wouldn't shed them? It is all theoretical.

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
About 2 weeks in I noticed the hair fall nearly stop 1-2 really fine/light hairs when I wash and mostly none when I apply minoxidil.

More evidence disproving the " losing 100 hairs a day is normal" myth. Nobody loses any hair when they are teens or kids, yet at 20 people start shedding. When people are on hair treatment, also, no hair loss. I also keep asking for a source on the 100 hairs a day myth and I never get anything. Gonna keep looking.

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not see why Finasteride would cause a shed after Minoxidil caused a shed since apparently they both shed telogen hairs...so if Minoxidil has been used for a long time, perhaps most hair is in Anagen and Finasteride wouldn't shed them? It is all theoretical.

I kind of agree with this as I was expecting a huge shed from reading other peoples experience (I know how much people can exaggerate) but from just being on minoxidil I remember shedding mostly thick good hair... now if I wash my hair I will only see very fine hair if any.

More evidence disproving the " losing 100 hairs a day is normal" myth. Nobody loses any hair when they are teens or kids, yet at 20 people start shedding. When people are on hair treatment, also, no hair loss. I also keep asking for a source on the 100 hairs a day myth and I never get anything. Gonna keep looking.

Yes the 100 hairs a day thing.. it for sure seems excessive, during this whole hairloss journey ive done my best to keep my accounts of things exact and transparent to help others and not to hinder

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
when my male pattern baldness kicked in I was shedding massively, waking up with 50+ hairs on the bed, sitting in work with hair falling infront of my face literally every 5 minutes (at the very most) a hair would fall; rubbing my hands through my hair after shampooing, my hands would be covered in hair.

before my male pattern baldness kicked in, at night I would lose at most 5 hairs, after showering my hands would have only 1 hair instead of over 50; and i'd never notice a hair falling out in work.

well when i started on finasteride the shedding stopped within a week and i was back to I was before male pattern baldness; and my hair loss drastically slowed down (infact i have stayed pretty much the same norwood since then and it was 5+ years ago). i have grown no further body hair since then either so i would take it as evidence that finasteride is working well for me.
I never had a finasteride shed. I wonder if people react differently to finasteride, or unfortunately maybe people who shed on finasteride it means that the drug isn't working for them? i think that this "finasteride shed is normal" is just a myth.

people say finasteride can cause depression, but for me seeing all this hair falling out caused me much more depression than finasteride ever could. after having a nice dream and waking up, i was sucker punched first thing in the morning by all of those hairs on the matress. There was no getting away from it, just when i was settling in at work to get something done, another hair would float down and that was all i could think about. how different and ugly i was to all the teenage boys with their thick NW1's, and i was only 5 years older than them yet looked like their fathers
finasteride stopped that so I think about it a lot less.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
when my male pattern baldness kicked in I was shedding massively, waking up with 50+ hairs on the bed, sitting in work with hair falling infront of my face literally every 5 minutes (at the very most) a hair would fall; rubbing my hands through my hair after shampooing, my hands would be covered in hair.

before my male pattern baldness kicked in, at night I would lose at most 5 hairs, after showering my hands would have only 1 hair instead of over 50; and i'd never notice a hair falling out in work.

well when i started on finasteride the shedding stopped within a week and i was back to I was before male pattern baldness; and my hair loss drastically slowed down (infact i have stayed pretty much the same norwood since then and it was 5+ years ago). i have grown no further body hair since then either so i would take it as evidence that finasteride is working well for me.
I never had a finasteride shed. I wonder if people react differently to finasteride, or unfortunately maybe people who shed on finasteride it means that the drug isn't working for them? i think that this "finasteride shed is normal" is just a myth.

people say finasteride can cause depression, but for me seeing all this hair falling out caused me much more depression than finasteride ever could. after having a nice dream and waking up, i was sucker punched first thing in the morning by all of those hairs on the matress. There was no getting away from it, just when i was settling in at work to get something done, another hair would float down and that was all i could think about. how different and ugly i was to all the teenage boys with their thick NW1's, and i was only 5 years older than them yet looked like their fathers
finasteride stopped that so I think about it a lot less.

Do you take brand or generic Finasteride?

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i take fincar, it is a generic made in india i think (5mg cut into sections)