Coming off propecia after 10 months?

Woodyy

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Due to my new line of work I won't be able to take finasteride anymore (it is banned as apparently it's used to mask steroid use), there's no getting around it, I have to stop. Don't really want to go into detail about my job but there are regular tests.

For me finasteride has maintained my hair well, my hairloss was caused by steroids in the first place, with my normal hormone levels I was fine. I'm hoping that seeing as my hair can cope with my normal hormone levels (or at least it could before) I should be fine coming off? The only thing I'm worried about is up regulation of androgen receptors, is this permanent and also would 10 months of use be enough to do it?

Thanks.[/FONT]

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a chance you would have experienced male pattern baldness anyways, I'm not sure if you'll be able to naturally maintain or not. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to continue finasteride if it worked for you. I guess you can't ask for an exception if it's specifically listed.

Try minoxidil and hope that maintains!

Woodyy

Reaction score
Oh yeah no doubt I would've lost hair at some point in my life, but no one in my family loses hair until late on, my dad is 58 and only started balding at 50, still is only Norwood 2.5, my grandad still has a decent amount on top at 93! My other grandad had nice, thick hair when he died at 64.

I'm just hoping that I haven't suffered any upregulation of my androgen receptors or if I have they will go back to normal. I'm quite knowledgeable on steroid use and I've never seen anyone reporting downregulation of androgen receptors due to androgenic steroid use so why when you combat androgens instead of increasing them do you suffer upregulation? Doesn't make much biological sense..

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
Look into herbal formulas, type in dht on amazon for instance. You can also get topicals or even mix your own minoxidil/finasteride topical.

Woodyy

Reaction score
7 month update: Lost no further hair, in fact it even thickened up as finasteride was causing persistent diffuse shedding which stopped shortly after stopping finasteride.

Since I came off in mid-November I've even done a mild steroid cycle of testosterone enanthate (I didn't even jump back on finasteride for that) and I still didn't lose any hair whatsoever! The only consistent treatment I've used is spironolactone cream to the temples once a day.

All this hairloss crap literally makes no sense to me anymore, my hair was thinning on 1mg of finasteride a day, got better when I came off it and then maintained itself when I had multiple times the amount of testosterone and DHT in my body than any normal person would.

I'm hoping I can maintain my hair for many years now, I can't see why not, I couldn't recommend spironolactone cream enough to anyone just looking to maintain without using finasteride, it definitely won't regrow your hair but it's done a very good job making sure I don't lose any for me.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
7 month update: Lost no further hair, in fact it even thickened up as finasteride was causing persistent diffuse shedding which stopped shortly after stopping finasteride.

Since I came off in mid-November I've even done a mild steroid cycle of testosterone enanthate (I didn't even jump back on finasteride for that) and I still didn't lose any hair whatsoever! The only consistent treatment I've used is spironolactone cream to the temples once a day.

All this hairloss crap literally makes no sense to me anymore, my hair was thinning on 1mg of finasteride a day, got better when I came off it and then maintained itself when I had multiple times the amount of testosterone and DHT in my body than any normal person would.

I'm hoping I can maintain my hair for many years now, I can't see why not, I couldn't recommend spironolactone cream enough to anyone just looking to maintain without using finasteride, it definitely won't regrow your hair but it's done a very good job making sure I don't lose any for me.

(Sorry to bump this old dog)

How's your hair faring up since your last post? Also maybe you skipped the male pattern baldness genes in your family hence no further hair loss, I mean did you have significant hair loss before starting finasteride or just paranoid because of your dads balding?