Combing Too Much Can Make Hair Loss Worse!

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
According to this study from the American Hair Loss Association if you're one of those guys who spends ages obsessively combing their hair over and over to cover thinning/bald areas you could be doing more damage then good.

"Running a brush or comb too hard through your hair puts a lot of "physical stress on the hair fiber, and it can cause the cuticle to flake and strip away," the American Hair Loss Association says. Aggressively brushing while your hair is wet is a problematic, too, as it can lead to excessive pulling and breakage."

Basically the advice is don't comb too much, style with your hands if possible and never comb when your hair is wet. Apologies if people are already aware of this but I know a lot of guys here do spend ages styling their hair and ther's also a myth that combing your hair a lot helps hair growth when the opposite is true.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shouldn't many more females be balding if this is true?

DeadLine

Reaction score
The question is: does it say whether the hairs that get damaged grow back or not? Because if they do, which would seem like the most logical answer, than this isn't really a major issue in terms of hair loss seeing as it does not cause long term hair loss which is what we are trying to fight here.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Combing DOES NOT affect your hair loss.

Any hair that gets pulled out while combing was going to shed anyway. Virtually all men shed about 150 hairs PER DAY (less of courses if they've already thinned out as its basically a percentage game).

AlexieJ

Reaction score
Too much combing your hair can actually pull some of your hair out. Anyway, the good thing is the hair usually grows back so I don't consider it as a total hair loss.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH, the article does not mention combing linked to hair loss, but to hair damage (to the cuticle), which is a different thing...

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't many more females be balding if this is true?
it does, keep an eye out, I see so many oblivious women everyday with extremely tight ponytails and they are rocking norwood 2's and beyond and I just want to yell at them for ruining their hairlines.

I do believe this is true, the simply reality is if you are constantly combing ur hair back and examining ur hairline, you WILL pull out hairs. If you do this everyday you will be pulling out freshly grown hairs and in time this will decimate the follicle. Obviously its just one factor and will impact people differently.

abcdefg

Reaction score
That is a load of bullocks. Healthy non male pattern baldness hair is so strong you would have to be ramming that comb through there at full force to rip out hair. No way in hell a gentle run through of a comb is ripping out or damaging hair that wasnt toast already
Look at body hair as an example. You have to stick crap on there and rip it off. Its very firmly rooted in there and not coming out. Same with head hair assuming you dont have male pattern baldness or other conditions because male pattern baldness can make hair fall out by just touching it. Not to mention everyone sheds hairs anyway
Then you wonder why no one has any clue what is going on with male pattern baldness. We have American Hair Loss Association spoon feeding people rubbish. Shouldnt they be telling us correct info? I guess under rare circumstances it could happen, but its not normal

Last edited:

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a "hipsterish" beard where the chin area hairs themselves are over 3" and it feels so damn awesome that I can play with it and brush or comb and rub oils and balms on it as much as I want and there's hardly any hair falling off no matter what.
Meanwhile I can accumulate dozens and dozens hairs from my head fall off in a matter of minutes just very gently running my hands through.
I have noticed tho with my beard that I can actually pull out hairs combing if I comb it when it's unruly and dry so I'm better off combing it when it's wet or apply first a few drops of oil.