Combine dutasteride and finasteride

zsnowstorm

Reaction score
I have seen that a few people do this. Ussually 0,5 dutast and 1/1,25 finasteride. To me it seems weird so my question is what's the philosophy behind that?

Ende

Reaction score
Yeah, you don't want finasteride competing with dutasteride, as the latter is superior.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
whats dangerous about it? I was thinking of doing this.

Say take finasteride 5 times a week and the other 2 days take dutasteride, and then slowly increase my way into full time dutasteride?? Whats wrong with this?? Its a good way to know if u will get sides from dutasteride instead of hopping on dutasteride straight away

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
zsnowstorm said:
I have seen that a few people do this. Ussually 0,5 dutast and 1/1,25 finasteride. To me it seems weird so my question is what's the philosophy behind that?

I guess the philosophy is further dht inhibition.

If anybody is seriously considering doing both *at once* then add some spironolactone and if you grow a decent rack I'll take you out for dinner.

Oren19

Reaction score
mothernature said:
whats dangerous about it? I was thinking of doing this.

Say take finasteride 5 times a week and the other 2 days take dutasteride, and then slowly increase my way into full time dutasteride?? Whats wrong with this?? Its a good way to know if u will get sides from dutasteride instead of hopping on dutasteride straight away

b"h

i'm think finaseride is going out from the bloodstream only afther 1 month. i'm don't sure..

Ende

Reaction score
Finasteride has a half life of 6 hours or so. Dutasteride has a half life of 5 weeks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oren19 said:
i'm think finaseride is going out from the bloodstream only afther 1 month. i'm don't sure..

A dose of oral finasteride is gone from the bloodstream after only a day or two.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Enden said:
Dutasteride has a half life of 5 weeks!

It depends on how much you've been taking! If you've reached full "steady-state" of the drug by taking an Avodart capsule every day for a few months, the half-life will be up to about 5 weeks. But if you've only been taking 0.1 mg every day (even for YEARS), the half-life will probably be only about three or four days. (The half-life depends on how much of the drug is in your bloodstream.)

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think dutasteride + finasteride is going to hurt you, it's just not going to do much of anything since dutasteride does it all already

Ende

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Enden said:
Dutasteride has a half life of 5 weeks!

It depends on how much you've been taking! If you've reached full "steady-state" of the drug by taking an Avodart capsule every day for a few months, the half-life will be up to about 5 weeks. But if you've only been taking 0.1 mg every day (even for YEARS), the half-life will probably be only about three or four days. (The half-life depends on how much of the drug is in your bloodstream.)
Interesting. It doesn't make any sense at all to me, but you're usually right, so... :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Enden said:
Interesting. It doesn't make any sense at all to me, but you're usually right, so... :)

The reason for that is evidently that there's a certain maximum limit at how fast the body can remove dutasteride from the bloodstream (like there's a limit on the amount of the enzyme or enzymes which are capable of removing it). If you build-up really large amounts of it in your bloodstream by taking large regular doses of the drug, it takes longer and longer for your body to eliminate all of it, and the "half-life" increases.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Enden said:
I see. I guess this applies to all medications then?

Not necessarily. I don't _think_ what I just said about dutasteride also applies to finasteride, although I'll admit that I'm a little hazy about that! :)

tigger

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing this as well.

Yes, they supposedly do the same thing.

BUT! They are different chemicals and to understand that the body is a complex sensitive thing and reacts differently to various inputs,

My thoughts for wanting to try the dutasteride/finasteride cocktail:

1) Propecia, i think has had some benefit for me. I do not want to lose that benefit, and i just don't know if Dutasteride will work in the same way or maintain the same hair that finasteride has. Perhaps, i am conditioned to finasteride now and will lose the hair that is inundated with it.

2) Propecia is not doing enough. Perhaps, some of my hair is not reacting to Finasteride or not so strongly. Dutasteride is a different chemical that some hair may respond to beneficially.

I want to try Dutasteride. But, I am equally sure it would be stupid to stom finasteride. I have a hard time believing that they would be an equivalent swap. "Oh the dutasteride will just do what the finasteride is doing!" NOT SO SIMPLE. Could have similar effects even identical, but they are not the same. They are not necessarily perfect substitutes.

Who here has switched and stuck with dutasteride, and seen improvement, or vice versa?

zyad947

Reaction score
What about the competitive inhibition of finasteride by dutasteride? Won't it decrease the effectiveness of finasteride?

What about this regimen:
Finasteride 6 times weekly and dutasteride 1 time daily?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Question for me is: as so often why do you want to do that?

On what regimen are you now and why do you wanna change it? (no effect, not enough etc.)
why not use a proven regimen instead of becoming creative? the two drugs have problems of their own, so why risk anything by combining them?
It's good to experiment with different things but I think common wisdom is to stay on a regime long enough to see its effectiveness.

So often there are people using the kitchen sink approach because they want to change things over night. It will not work.

Decide for one and take that like you're supposed to. If it's not working after a long time add minoxidil etc.

Of course it's always interesting to see something new work for people. But notice something in the success stories: it's people with a clear regimen that stick with it for long. They don't change so often, they just do their boring and proven system.

Just my 2 cents.

Rashan

Reaction score
zyad947 said:
What about the competitive inhibition of finasteride by dutasteride? Won't it decrease the effectiveness of finasteride?

What about this regimen:
Finasteride 6 times weekly and dutasteride 1 time daily?

My first piece of advice is to get your bloodwork done before even thinking about using Dutasteride. Too often people make the switch from finasteride to dutasteride without know where there testosterone levels are. This will give you a better idea of how aggressive you need to be with your DHT inhabition medication.

My second piece of adivce is to start being more aggresive with your androgen blocker. Just so you know, proper scalp cleansing and medication is KEY. When I noticed my finasteride medication wasn't as effective as is used to be, I wanted to swith to dutasteride. Then i got my bloodwork back, and when it came back normal, I knew that wasn't gonna be the answer. So I got way more pro-active with my scalp. I started cleansing my scalp twice a day (once in the morning, and once in the evening) using nizoral twice a day, and S5 cream twice as well after my minoxidil treatment. I have seen an improvement, and its only been three months.