Colour Fading - Advice For Newbie Poster!

Bullet1983

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been wearing for 9 months and honestly it's the best thing I've ever done despite the steep learning curve and occasional "crisis" of faith.

I wear a thin poly skin with a short style and medium brown colour.

I've used this thread a lot and really appreciate everyone's input, and I'm hoping there may be some advice forthcoming on this issue.

A couple of recent beach holidays and the UK heatwave has made the lightening of my system accelerate (different systems). I'm at the point where I'm going to the salon every 2-3 weeks to have it coloured darker. It's been a tough summer in this respect, as you can really see the colour difference with my real hair when the system lightens. I don't sunbathe or spend more time outside than the average person.

I'm wondering if everybody has this problem, or if it's related to my treatment of my hair?
- I blowdry every day for less than a minute after wetting my hair in the (warm) shower and combing through some argan oil
- I've tried a couple of different UV/sun sprays for hair to no avail, and I don't like how they impact the hair texture
- every shampoo or conditioning product I use is supposed to be protective for coloured hair

My salon says there's not a lot you can do other than dye it every now and then, but I don't seem to read about this much from other wearers so I'm wondering if there's something more practical I could be doing to reduce the issue??

Any tips/product recommendations very welcome!

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m curious, what color is your system?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Bullet

Time in the sun sand and surf definitely does a number on your hair system. As you get into wearing a bit more you will likely set aside an old piece for times like that. When it's under a hat or soaked with seawater you can't really tell the difference, and it keeps your newer pieces from getting trashed.

For the rest of the time (1) apply a leave-in conditioner with a good sunscreen every day; (2) if you know you are going to be in strong sun for long periods, wear a straw hat; (3) don't wash the piece too often - once a week is enough; (4) cool hairdryer only; and (5) use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner as soon as you start to see any colour divergence from your natural hair.

A very fast colour fade can mean the hair wasn't great quality to begin with, especially if it is combined with the hair starting to look dried out and degraded. You can't tell when you first get the piece, because the hair is always coated in silicone to make it look shiny and fresh, but not all hair system hair is equal. One of the signs of a good supplier is that the hair continues to look glossy and healthy and to retain its colour after the silicone has long gone. I can't say whether that is a factor in your case, or whether it is just the heatwave.

Noah

Bullet1983

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply Noah!

I think tips 1 and 2 could be helpful, as I'm already doing the rest. The leave-in conditioner has kinda fallen out of my routine - any specific product recommendations for that?

Your comments around the hair quality did strike a note. My current system in particular went blonde quite quickly, just from day to day walking in the sun.

Will reply to your PM now.
Cheers