coloring your hair

G

can i color my hair with something not chemical(or even something chemical) or does it affect my hair loss?

Britannia

Reaction score
Ive just answered this question on the genreal hairloss forum. Please dont post the same questions all over the site. Find the most suitable forum and use that one.

jeffsss

Reaction score
dude, if you have enough hair to be worried about coloring it... then you should find another forum.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I agree...

In addition, coloring your hair is a fairly queer thing to do.

Regards

jeffsss said:
dude, if you have enough hair to be worried about coloring it... then you should find another forum.

Britannia

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
I agree...

Regards

jeffsss said:

No it isnt.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I colour my hair (Just for Men) frequently to make the thinning hair look more like thicker hair and to match the hair on my sides. Everyone knows I colour my hair (work collegues, friends etc). They all know I'm on minoxidil/finasteride aswell and they can't believe the results it has given. It's been compliments all the way. No one has said it's "queer" to colour your hair.

The fact is that when hair is thinning it looses the pigments. If you use minoxidil/finasteride or any other treatment, you'll find that you'll get loads of "peach fuss" and also some longer thin pigmentless hair. There are loads of questions on this board about how long it will take for them to become proper terminal coloured hair. Who know's, it could be 6 months, 12, maybe 18 months. Or maybe never. Wouldn't it then be great if there was a way to at least make them LOOK thicker and more pigmented? Guess what, there is a way. Colour it with the same colour as the rest of your hair. It's worked a treat for me. Check out my post in the success forum for piccies.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
I agree...

Regards

jeffsss said:

What a dumb comment, i have colored my hair forever, i look 5 years younger and it makes my hair look thicker.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
tpeter said:
i have colored my hair forever, i look 5 years younger and it makes my hair look thicker.

Same here. I can't believe I didn't try it earlier. Not only do you get a healthier, younger color overall, but it also adds color to the finer, thinner hairs you otherwise don't see.

I really don't give a damn if I seem "queer" or not to insecure types, so I just skip past the ego-saving men stuff and use Loreal ColorSpa semi-permanent colouring. No ammonia, so it won't melt your scalp. Washes out in 28 shampoos or so (if you don't go darker). Great color. Looks like more hair. No more grays.

Highly, highly recommended as a cosmetic aid.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tpeter said:
hairwegoagain said:
I agree...

Regards

jeffsss said:

What a dumb comment, i have colored my hair forever, i look 5 years younger and it makes my hair look thicker.

Or does it hide how thin it is?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
My mom always told me that lemon juice made hair more blonde.

It can, but you have to bake your hair in the sun after applying it, and it dries your hair out really bad. Plus it STINGS like hell if it gets into any minoxidil scabs, etc.

Or so I've heard, lol... not that I've ever tried this, no, really, not me...

The various highlighting products available are much better for your hair.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I use (or used to use) "Just for Men" hair coloring - the stuff you get for mustaches and beards, and it used to be great for covering up my grey edges for about 6 - 8 weeks.

Now though, since I started using ACV every morning, the stuff only lasts a few DAYs.

The apple cider vinegar rinse will render any hair dye moot.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So everyone agrees that coloring your hair wont aggrivate hairloss or anything?? I wanted to dye my hair black but im' afraid of it accelerating my hairloss ....somehow.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Fallout Boy said:
So everyone agrees that coloring your hair wont aggrivate hairloss or anything?? I wanted to dye my hair black but im' afraid of it accelerating my hairloss ....somehow.

I think if you stick w/ stuff like Just for Men or Grecian Formula you'll be fine. Just avoid the bleaches and peroxides.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
[quote="Fallout Boy":75a69]So everyone agrees that coloring your hair wont aggrivate hairloss or anything?? I wanted to dye my hair black but im' afraid of it accelerating my hairloss ....somehow.

I think if you stick w/ stuff like Just for Men or Grecian Formula you'll be fine. Just avoid the bleaches and peroxides.[/quote:75a69]

Exactly. Avoid the "permanent" stuff. The semi-permanent types that wash out in 28 shampoos or so usually don't have the nasty chemicals in them.

dotamatrix1984

Reaction score
Hi, i've just coloured and highlighted my hair, and i'm wondering if any hair loss products are known to interfere with the colour in the dyed hair. I am currently using Tricomin spray, Alpecin C1 shampoo and Nizoral 2%. Does anyone know whether these products can screw up your hair colour? Thanks!

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
dotamatrix1984 said:
Hi, i've just coloured and highlighted my hair, and i'm wondering if any hair loss products are known to interfere with the colour in the dyed hair. I am currently using Tricomin spray, Alpecin C1 shampoo and Nizoral 2%. Does anyone know whether these products can screw up your hair colour? Thanks!

I think they're all safe. I don't recall if I mentioned it earlier in this thread - but if you do color your hair, that Apple Cider Vinegar rinse can either fry your hair or at the very least render the hair dye useless.