Coal Tar...............alpha five reductase inhibitor

Charly

Reaction score
I remember someone saying a while back on this board that coal tar can lead to cancer. Not sure.

CCS

Reaction score
I just learned about NADH in biochem class. I saw the diagram, and the phosphate group on it. It is a proton and electron donor, actually the cell's primary reducer (that's an acid base term). It is used in glucose metabolism. Inhibit it some how, and you inhibit the cell's ability to create energy. I can see the usefullness of this on scalp that is growing too fast. But just to reduce 5ar activity does not sound practical, especially on people whose scalp is growing at a normal rate. Since it is OTC, it is probably harmless, and may save some hair. But looking at the 5ar trial placebo group, I'd say the effects are weak. I'm not sure if I'll finish my bottle.

michael barry

Reaction score
CCS,

You may have a point there.

I reread the item discussing DKK-1. I missed the info about its relationship with WNT-signalling before, but areas in the scalp that have alot of DKK-1, have low/no wnt-signalling. Wnt signalling and wound healing was the basis of Kurt Stenn's and Goorge Costarialis new hair growth patent (Follica).

I have read about "inhibitors" of DKK-1, but they were all exotic syntheics. That might be the "last thing" one could downreg that will help with baldness beyond receptor blockage and alpha five inhibtion and the standard growth stimulants that we have. I just dont know if there is anything that intereferes with it topically out there or not. Other than that, Im pretty much out of ideas.

I do think I might like to make some licorice tea and put peppermint oil in it as my "whoop ***" anti-androgenic topical though. Im probably going to buy some haircycle shampoo also (licorice and peppermint oil). I'll probably finish my bottle of t-gel at a couple of days a week, but that will be it I imagine.

Kind a' flummoxed beyond this point. Waiting for ICX, Aderans et al to fix it for good. :dunno:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
michael barry said:
CCS,

You may have a point there.

I reread the item discussing DKK-1. I missed the info about its relationship with WNT-signalling before, but areas in the scalp that have alot of DKK-1, have low/no wnt-signalling. Wnt signalling and wound healing was the basis of Kurt Stenn's and Goorge Costarialis new hair growth patent (Follica).

I have read about "inhibitors" of DKK-1, but they were all exotic syntheics. That might be the "last thing" one could downreg that will help with baldness beyond receptor blockage and alpha five inhibtion and the standard growth stimulants that we have. I just dont know if there is anything that intereferes with it topically out there or not. Other than that, Im pretty much out of ideas.

I do think I might like to make some licorice tea and put peppermint oil in it as my "whoop ***" anti-androgenic topical though. Im probably going to buy some haircycle shampoo also (licorice and peppermint oil). I'll probably finish my bottle of t-gel at a couple of days a week, but that will be it I imagine.

Kind a' flummoxed beyond this point. Waiting for ICX, Aderans et al to fix it for good. :dunno:

mb...so whats ur shampoo rotation now?

I remember awhile back you were using nano shampoo? are you currently still using it?

CCS

Reaction score
I'll finish my Regrowth shampoo. I don't know if I want to finish the T-Gel though. It really stinks.

I think that hair cycle stuff should be good shampoo. I don't want to pay for it though. I want to save my money for the licorice from Korea. I think that is where it is at.

CCS

Reaction score
beyondacenturyonline.com sells 100g of licorice extract for $5, but it is not the same species that was used in the study. If that Korean stuff is out of my price range, I'll still try that licorice and the peppermint.