Clown01's Story

Clown01

Reaction score
Long time reader - first time poster.

BACKGROUND:

Hair loss started just after my 25th birthday. Was told pretty bluntly by the hairdresser of the day that I was going bald.

My father has been losing his hair for most of his life - I think he would be classified as a NW5A or early NW6. I think he inherited it from my paternal grandmother.

Both of my mother's brothers have been losing for a while as well - they are not as advandced as my father - but not that far back either. I think they inherited it from my maternal grandfather/grandmother.

Most of my friends from School/Univ/Work still have a full head of hair. Some of them have signs of difuse thinning all over, while one or two were experiencing frontal loss.

COURSE OF ACTION:

For the first 4 months after being diagnosed I was in a state of denial. After being told about the loss I ran home from the barber and checked in the mirror - there it was the very early stages of an NW3V. I mean I just turned 25 - my life was just starting to get good with a stable job and steady flow of cash and some female intrests in site.

I started doing a lot of reasearch on the net and asking my friends who had already started losing their hair (all in their late 20s to mid 30s) what they had used. I started to use Nizoral 2% since I read that it was somewhat effective in slowing down the loss. Since I was still in the early stages of loss I wanted to preserve what I had going forward.

As the winter came along - I could start feeling the cold more and more on my crown (I don't know if it was just psychosematic (sic) but I did feel it). I could also notice on the elevator rides up that more scalp was showing through under the potlights.

I finally went to my doctor to talk to him about it. The loss was bad - but the stress and the loss of self-esteem that it had caused was even worse. As I said most of my friends have the full head of hair or diffuse thining - so none of them have a really really visible bald spot. I have always been one to have my hair short because I can't stand to fuss with it in the morning (gel and go).

My MD wasn't too understanding with the stress that it was causing me - he said just look at your family. He suggested that I try Propecia and wrote me a 3 month script.

I hadn't start using Propecia earlier becuase I don't like to take more medication then I have to and I was worried about the side effects. I took the script home and talk with my uncle who had been using it for a while - he said that he hadn't seen any side effects and he was happy with the progress.

I filled the script and started to take the pills. About 3 weeks in I noticed the first set of "temporary" side effects with my erections being softer and not last as long as they did before. I also noticed the loss of some of my libido. My MD said to just keep going with it and it should pass - so I did. Well about 1.5 months in the really bad effects had passed - however my libido wasn't really close to where i was before - but the hair loss seemed to have stopped.

There was visible new hair growth on my vertex which I was ecstatic about - I figured I would just wait out the side effects because they are supposed to go away the more you use it.

Fast Forward 8 months. I have been using the pill for a while now being pretty regular. My shedding hadn't been to bad up until about 3 weeks ago - at which time I also noticed that my libido was going down again (harder to get an erection).

I am getting worried that they pills are really starting to have some serious side effects. I am thinking about going to 1/2 mg every day or 1 mg every second day. I know that finasteride works for me - the problem is the systematic approach seems to be having some very undesirable side effects - whats the point of having the hair to get the girl if you can't make the next move with the girl because of the hair. I have even debated shaving my head down (haven't done it since Univ) but I just can't bring myself to take the clippers to the scalp.

I have been looking at topicals and other methods including:

- Revivogen - Nobody has been able to show that it works and most people say it is just a waste of money
- spironolactone - Kind of worried about the side effects since it is not the nicest stuff in the world (might just be the oral form) - also the smell would be an issue when I work out or in the summer when the temps get hot.
- Crinogen- haven't been able to find out too much about this
- Zix - really don't know about this one - but would be willing to try it.
- Topical Fina - Need to talk to a dermatoligist first.
- Lasercomb - won't stop the loss but might just slow it down - still not enough evidence out there to support its use.

I am really hoping that cloning/multiplication/gene therapy comes down the pipe soon and is affordable for everybody to do (Banzan's 40k $US is out of most people's price range).

Anyway this is my story so far. Like most people have said - being bald is one thing - but going bald is worse because of the stress it causes. I am really starting to get stressed out about it again :-( .

Any helpful hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The Clown

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Clown,

As far as the side effects from the Finasteride you can try 1/2 the Propecia tab and only take .5mg a day instead of 1mg. Give it a few weeks and see what it does... If you still have problems cut the pill in 1/3rds. Finasteride has been shown to effectively reduce DHT in doses as low as .2mg.

DONT skip days on Finasteride though. Finasteride has a short half-life and is out of your system before the end of the day. You dont want to leave your hair unprotected every other day now would ya?? :)

As far as the other treatments you mentioned Revivogen and zix are two good ones IMHO.

To find out more about zix click on the following: How to make zix

A very effective hair treatment plan would be:

1. Finasteride 1mg-.2mg every day

2. Minoxidil 5% for regrowth

3. Nizoral 2% every 2nd or 3rd day. Wash with a mild shampoo first and rinse. Then apply the nizoral and leave it on for 5-10mins. Rinse

4. Topical DHT inhibitor like revivogen or zix

Clown01

Reaction score
Socks - thanks for the suggestions.

I have been trying 0.5mg of Finasteride everyday and I have noticed a lot of shedding - I have lost a lot of the regrowth that I had before :( . I had actually started the 0.5 mg a little bit before posting to the site. Its frustrating to see the crown thinning/bald spot coming back into play never mind the horror in the morning when I take my shower and see all of the hair in my hands. :cry: The only upside is that the finasteride side effects have diminished (not gone completely) ... I have started taking some Multi-Vitamins from GNC as well which are supposed to help the libido as well as overall body so I think that is helping as well (though I hope they are not increasing my DHT levels in the process)!

I am going to talk to my Doctor when he gets back and see if he can refer me to a dermatologist to do a quick check. I need to get a full check up done anyway and I will ask him to do the blood and urine tests again (I have a baseline from the beginning of the year before taking the pills).

I am not sure if I am going to keep on the 0.5 mg or just go back to the 1 mg. I am not sure how much of this is also due to the fact that the program has changed and my hair needs to "reset" and start over again. Like I said it is really frustrating to be at this age and to be going through all of this.

Using Nizoral 2% M/W/F - though I think I am going to move to every two days! Going to try and keep it in a little big longer - going to also look at adding Neutragena T-Gel and get rid of the other stuff!

Has anybody had any luck with Revivogen? Like I said based on the majority of posts that I have read very few people have actually had any success and most of those who have have been using it in conjunction with the big 3 (F/M/N).

I am going to look into Zix some more - it looks relatively easy to make and relatively easy to apply.

I really want to avoid the minoxidil as much as possible - I don't have time for the twice a day application with 40 minute wait time. I have had scalp issues and I am really worried about the dandruff (I had to move to a water based Gel because the Depp was killing my scalp).

Also I am mainly interested in maintenance since it is early in the game for me (well towards the end of the first but not into the second period).

Thanks for your help! Being able to talk about my problem makes it a little easier to deal with - I really appreciate having a site like this!

Clown

Deaner

Reaction score
Since the effects of finasteride are about the same @ lower doses, then this leads me to believe that even the side effects are the same. I mean, if 0.2mg is almost as effective at reducing DHT as 1mg, then woulnd't this mean it's almost as effective at producing side effects? As far as I've heard, side effects don't have anything to do with dosage, they have everything to do with the DHT reducing effects of the drug.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Deaner said:
Since the effects of finasteride are about the same @ lower doses, then this leads me to believe that even the side effects are the same. I mean, if 0.2mg is almost as effective at reducing DHT as 1mg, then woulnd't this mean it's almost as effective at producing side effects? As far as I've heard, side effects don't have anything to do with dosage, they have everything to do with the DHT reducing effects of the drug.

True Deaner, true... Did you notice the HeadandShoulders induced shedding even at lower doses of this shampoo???

Deaner

Reaction score
I did. It appears that H&S is just as effective even at lower doses.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
clown, remember you losing some of your regrowth may just be part of the shedding cycle, maybe you will regrow again. im hoping something similar to this will happen in my situation.

Clown01

Reaction score
Well here is a small update since my last post.

I have been on 0.5 mg of finasteride with nizoral every 2nd day. The results have not been positive so far as I have lost a lot of the regrowth that I had before dropping my dosage - I am thinking that I will give it a little bit longer incase this is just the shedding period - before going back to the 1mg of finasteride. The side effects have decreased and the GNC pills helped make things even better.

I am even debating shaving it all off and just giving up - I am only a NW1.5V (thinning but no real spot) so it is not that bad. I just can't bring myself to do it because I like my hair (suprise suprise).

I still haven't seen my MD (it has been a busy time for me) - but I will probably get around to that soon!

If anybody has any suggestions please let me know! If anybody has had any experience with 0.5 mg of finasteride please let me know - I would be eager to hear what type of results you had!

Thanks,

The Clown